SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Para's comet might be in Wyoming
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Para's comet might be in Wyoming Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
You see, there are advantages to living in California! I'll die last!

No, the unprecedented earthquake caused by the eruption will kill you first of all.
But at least it will be quick. Probably. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Whatevs.

If the Lord wants to take me and 7,000,000,000 of my closest friends, I'm ready. Please let me be near and killed quickly by pyroclastic flows, that's all I ask.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
quote:

But you'll still die in California. At least I'll die happy. Wink

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Maybe Al Gore could put a tax on it.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I saw a report last week that the mountain in North Korea that RocketMan is testing his nukes in has a Super volcano under it, and it could be set off by the tests.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
...but ice is nice, and would suffice....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
...but ice is nice, and would suffice....
I'm no scientist, but that seems more reasonable than everybody peeing in the caldera.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I think its funny the variability in predictions. You've got everything from a minor inconvenience to the apocalypse.

This map looks pretty bad for me:

But this one says I might get 10cm of ash fall. Hell, we had almost that much after St. Helens. Roll Eyes

Well...back to prepping.

Bottom line is that these yahoos don't have a fargin clue what will happen...or when.

Well...back to prepping.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Great news! I'm gonna drink more bourbon and start smoking cigarettes again. Big Grin

So, what will it be? Blanton's or good old Buffalo Trace. BTW, both are made by Buffalo Trace and having tried both IMO the good old Trace is an excellent value, half the cost of Blanton's with near 90% of the goodness of that hard to find select cask single cask.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 52 miles from the East gate.
For about 1/10,000 of a nanosecond I will have the best seat in the house..........

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
I am 52 miles from the East gate.
For about 1/10,000 of a nanosecond I will have the best seat in the house..........

PC

The good news is that you'll be dead before the pain has a chance to get to your brain.

So...you've got that going for you, which is nice.

Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
It's the end of the world as we know it...

And I feel fine.....

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

No, the unprecedented earthquake caused by the eruption will kill you first of all.
But at least it will be quick. Probably. Wink

If the earthquake doesn't wipe out CA, the tsunami will. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I feel safe here in NH from the eruption if it actually happens. I am thankful that I do not live in an area of the country that has many bad natural disasters.
I'll take the cold snowy winters and the hot humid summers over:
- Western wildfires
- Earthquakes (yes we do get some very minor ones)
- Strong hurricanes
- Tornadoes
- Floods

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Of all the possible calamities there are, this is the one I think about (worry is too strong) most. First, it’s in the neighborhood—sort of, and not that that would matter much—but unlike an asteroid it would make the whole dying process much more unpleasant. Fleeing east? How far could I get on a tank of gas and a couple of extra cans? Would it be better to wait at home until the roof caved in, or to die a little later stranded and out of water on the road someplace? Yes, it could happen 10,000 years from now, and we will probably have figured out a way to exterminate the species before then, but it could happen very soon, and even within the relatively few years I have left (sorry about you youngsters Wink ).

Neither of you should get too comfortable. Of the six known super-volcanos, three are in the U.S. - the Western U.S.: Yellowstone in Wyoming, Long Valley Caldera in California, and Valles Caldera in New Mexico. Wink

The World's 6 Known Supervolcanoes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Storm,

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Great news! I'm gonna drink more bourbon and start smoking cigarettes again. Big Grin

So, what will it be? Blanton's or good old Buffalo Trace. BTW, both are made by Buffalo Trace and having tried both IMO the good old Trace is an excellent value, half the cost of Blanton's with near 90% of the goodness of that hard to find select cask single cask.

We're all gonna DIE, and you're worried about how much Bourbon costs?

You cant take it with you, so I'm going to try to party like a rock-star between now and then!
(Bad thing is, I'll probably party more like a Gordon Lighfoot than a Keith Richards)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
This is exactly why we moved from TX!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It could blow up tomorrow or it could be 100,000 years. And I don't think we can do a damn thing about it.

Yep. And if it does blow and I'm about to die I'll just grab the bottle of Macallan 15 and sip til I fade to black.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Dang, and to think I was concerned about the New Madrid fault line....

Although in fairness, concern over either getting 10mm of ash settle because of Yellowstone, versus getting 200K hood rats stirred due to interruption of EBT cards and road closure to the local package store? Maybe the fault line IS worse for me. Eek

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post