SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Para's comet might be in Wyoming
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Para's comet might be in Wyoming Login/Join 
posted
Yellowstone supervolcano could blow faster than thought, destroy all of mankind

Arizona State University researchers have analyzed minerals around the supervolcano at Yellowstone National Park and have come to a startling conclusion. It could blow much faster than previously expected, potentially wiping out life as we know it.

According to National Geographic, the researchers, Hannah Shamloo and Christy Till, analyzed minerals in fossilized ash from the most recent eruption. What they discovered surprised them – the changes in temperature and composition only took a few decades, much faster than the centuries previously thought.

“We expected that there might be processes happening over thousands of years preceding the eruption,” said Till said in an interview with the New York Times.

The supervolcano last erupted about 630,000 years ago, according to National Geographic. Prior to that, it was 1.3 million years ago, per a report from ZME Science.

If another eruption were to take place, the researchers found that the supervolcano would spare almost nothing in its wrath. It would shoot 2,500 times more material than Mount St. Helen did in 1980 and could cover most of the continguous U.S. in ash, possibly putting the planet into a volcanic winter.

The new discovery, which was presented in August after a previous version of the study, comes after another study in 2011 which found the magma reservoir in Yellowstone has moved considerably, gaining about 10 inches in seven years.

"It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high," the University of Utah's Bob Smith, an expert in Yellowstone volcanism, told National Geographic six years ago.

Despite the concerns about an eruption happening relatively soon, Shamloo told The Times that more research needed to be done before a definite conclusion could be drawn.

In June, the supervolcano was hit with more than 400 earthquakes in one week, though researchers cautioned it was nothing nothing to be alarmed about.

For its part, NASA is working on a way to prevent the supervolcano from destroying mankind, including trying to cool the magma before it spills over.

Foxnews

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s funny that these “scientists” think everything we do to alter the climate with fossil fuels is bad, but they want to drill into the magma to cool it. Shouldn’t we just let the wisdom of nature prevail and kick our sorry asses off the planet?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The margin of error in predicting when it might blow is bigger than the entire span of human's existenace as a species......plus or minus a couple hundred thousand years is hard to get excited about.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It could blow up tomorrow or it could be 100,000 years. And I don't think we can do a damn thing about it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Either that or Shamloo should study the possibility of using a giant ShamWoW.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Well, I ain’t gonna worry about it. If she blows, she blows, and there is absolutely nothing neither you nor I can do about it. But I’m sure that the last tree-hugger, as zhe is hugging the last tree, will no doubt blame the evil capitalists for spoiling it for everyone else.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Great news! I'm gonna drink more bourbon and start smoking cigarettes again. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
10% chance is higher than I thought. Gosh, the world sure is a scary place - but fascinating at the same time! If all of humanity were wiped out, I wonder if the dinosaurs would come back? Eek

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
NASA is working on a way to prevent the supervolcano from destroying mankind, including trying to cool the magma before it spills over.

bahaahahahaha!!! Roll Eyes

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It could blow up tomorrow or it could be 100,000 years. And I don't think we can do a damn thing about it.

+1

They can try whatever suits them.

It-will-make-no-difference.

Heck! Pass a law forbidding it! That will do as much good!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Oh, we could do something to cool the magma, but it would be an engineering feat like the world has never done before. It would forever change the Yellowstone National Park. And all that heat would have to go somewhere, like into the atmosphere.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Oh, we could do something to cool the magma, but it would be an engineering feat like the world has never done before. It would forever change the Yellowstone National Park. And all that heat would have to go somewhere, like into the atmosphere.

Please elaborate because..

Yellowstone NP or humanity? Yeah I'll go with Humanity though I am sure some here would feel differently Wink

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Nature is going to do what naturally does and there is not a darn thing we puny humans can do about it.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear: And all that heat would have to go somewhere, like into the atmosphere.

There's some man made climate change for ya'

I'd say let it blow. In the big picture of Earth's history and certainly the history of the Universe, our continued existence as a species is utterly meaningless.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
If holdem has any dry ice left over after transporting his ice cream, he should donate it to NASA.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It's the end of the world as we know it...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Damn Millerites.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Of all the possible calamities there are, this is the one I think about (worry is too strong) most. First, it’s in the neighborhood—sort of, and not that that would matter much—but unlike an asteroid it would make the whole dying process much more unpleasant. Fleeing east? How far could I get on a tank of gas and a couple of extra cans? Would it be better to wait at home until the roof caved in, or to die a little later stranded and out of water on the road someplace? Yes, it could happen 10,000 years from now, and we will probably have figured out a way to exterminate the species before then, but it could happen very soon, and even within the relatively few years I have left (sorry about you youngsters Wink ).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Of all the possible calamities there are, this is the one I think about (worry is too strong) most. First, it’s in the neighborhood—sort of, and not that that would matter much—but unlike an asteroid it would make the whole dying process much more unpleasant. Fleeing east? How far could I get on a tank of gas and a couple of extra cans? Would it be better to wait at home until the roof caved in, or to die a little later stranded and out of water on the road someplace? Yes, it could happen 10,000 years from now, and we will probably have figured out a way to exterminate the species before then, but it could happen very soon, and even within the relatively few years I have left (sorry about you youngsters Wink ).

You see, there are advantages to living in California! I'll die last!

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post