SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How To Convert HDMI Output To RCA Component Input?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Convert HDMI Output To RCA Component Input? Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If you're going the Best Buy route, I highly recommend buying online for in-store pickup.

I can't count the number of times I've been to a Best Buy looking for something and the CSR's say they don't carry it. Then I go home, look an item up, and behold, it's in stock at my local store. Buy it online, go back to the very same store, and pick it up. All in the span of about an hour and a half. Wink

Their staff has no idea what's actually in stock in the back of their store...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6252 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Your last sentence could be abbreviated to the first five words, and it would still be accurate: "Their staff has no idea."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30926 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Many of those converters, almost entirely made in China, strip HDCP (HDMI Copy Protection) from the HDMI stream.

As such, they're not licensed products. I'm kind of surprised the HDMI Licensing people haven't been all over Amazon, eBay, etc., getting these products removed.

However, in this case it may not be an issue, being as the result of the conversion from HDMI -> component or composite video + audio, is low-definition analog, rather than high-definition digital.

Yep, the difficulty is trying to maintain the HD picture as one converts that digitally protected signal as output via HDMI to an analog HD signal to feed the display’s component inputs. If the player / device can output a downconverted analog SD signal via composite, then such can plug straight into the old composite inputs easily. In my earlier post, I forgot to paste the below link.
https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus-2018

I personally wouldn’t pursue the privilege of watching 480i TV nor chase a true HD converter. But, if you insist on using the old Sony as an interim option, I’d try to find the above Roku as a $30 solution or find an old DVD player that has component outputs (assuming you have DVDs still).

In 2003, I paid $2800 for a Panasonic commercial plasma display. That predated HDMI. I could have added a DVI board which later could have worked with HDMI > DVI adapters (at least 10 years ago), but those DVI boards were snapped up and impossible to find on eBay, etc. As device manufacturers bowed to the film industry’s insistence for HDMI only, I continued to struggle with that old high-quality plasma that only lacked modern connectivity. I finally gave up 5-6 years ago and dropped it off at Goodwill and replaced it with an inferior $250 Samsung plasma. Good luck!

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Staples takes old CRT TV’s and monitors for free whether they work or not.
I think that our handyman will be happy to have it. If not, we'll just put it out by the curb the night before trash pickup. Guaranteed, it will have disappeared long before the city trash truck gets here. Wink

Best Buy takes them also

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6254 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I went to Best Buy earlier today, to see what they have. Masks not required to go into the store, because they were not allowing any customers in the store! Stupid fucking over-reaction to (gasp) The Virus!

One more reason to hate that place. You would think that if they are not going to permit customers in the store, that information would be posted on the website, so that we would not waste time and fuel to go there. After all, websites do have the capability of providing information to customers. Not in the case of Best Buy, though.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30926 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
V-Tail if Best Buy didn't hook you up, I have an older Roku with composite out. It's yours if you want it.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I went to Best Buy earlier today, to see what they have. Masks not required to go into the store, because they were not allowing any customers in the store! Stupid fucking over-reaction to (gasp) The Virus!

One more reason to hate that place. You would think that if they are not going to permit customers in the store, that information would be posted on the website, so that we would not waste time and fuel to go there. After all, websites do have the capability of providing information to customers. Not in the case of Best Buy, though.

Same with the Best Buy here.

Our washer finally crapped out on us for good and it was time. And because the one my wife wanted (and what I wanted to buy), the dang thing - with a pedestal - would be about $900.

Walk up "I'd like to see model xyz>"

"Sorry, no customers allowed. If you want to buy, we can deliver in three days and, if you don't like it, have it returned."

"well, before I spend that much money, I would like to see an actual model to ensure it is what I want."

"sorry sir."

(Lowes conversation)

"Hi, looking for model xyz."

"Oh that model is back over here. It's the model with steam clean - I love that feature especially when I forgot to dry the clothes."

"Do you have any in stock (with the pedestal)?

"Yup, we can deliver tomorrow. Oh wait, delivery is full. We can deliver first this day after tomorrow, no additional charge for delivery or hook up."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14068 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
To wit, converters are available on Amazon or at Best Buy simple plug n play....

quote:
I have had several suggestions to trash the SONY CRT TV and replace it with a flat screen.

I have posted, above, that the flat screen is (was) already in the plans once the renovation work that is being done, is complete.

A most common result in SF threads with questions about a specific item, ignore the whole post, and then have fifty-eleven similar but non applicable responses...

Posts: 23746 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, we were in a similar position just a few weeks ago with my daughter wanting to play a playstation 2 she found when digging through some of my old junk. We needed one in opposite direction (input of RGA signal to HDMI). We researched it and found now at Wal Mart. It worked for about 30 minutes before crapping out. I was pretty pissed, and took it back. It cost $39 with tax. I dare say I could buy a PS3 with the HDMI output used for less money and play the same games.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If you buy it online, you can pick this item up at your local Best Buy store:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/i...4314.p?skuId=6134314

Normally in stock at most stores.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6252 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A most common result in SF threads with questions about a specific item, ignore the whole post, and then have fifty-eleven similar but non applicable responses...

I don't think anybody was ignoring that, but more making the point that such a converter is a poor investment. For the cost of the inverter he could continue to pay his current bill for another three months. For a bit more money he could have a TV he could later re-purpose. The converter will have no use after he replaces the TV and will have little, if any, resale value. So it's either keep it around to add to the clutter (guilty as charged), send it off to an electronic recycler, or send it off to a landfill. That's all a few of us were suggesting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was also some lack of specificity in the OP as to desired input for the old TV - ie component or composite? Both typically use RCA-type connectors but the video capability varies greatly. Also, some of the older TV’s were capable of receiving 1080i(p) via component even if that signal would then be down converted for the TV’s ED or SD display.

Composite is easy. But HDMI to component is pretty elusive.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Best Buy can sit on a cactus and rotate.

Every time I have anything to do with that crappy outfit, the experience is worse than the time before.

You would think that I might learn.

I ordered an HDMI-to-component adapter from Amazon for less than twenty bucks. I should have it in a day or two. If it doesn't work, no problem, I can just drop it at The UPS Store where I receive my package delivery and business mail, and it will be returned to Amazon.
Edit to add a reply to FHHM213: The Sony TV will accept different types of input: S-Video, composite (three RCA connectors), or component (five RCA connectors). The adaptor that I ordered is the component type.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:

V-Tail if Best Buy didn't hook you up, I have an older Roku with composite out. It's yours if you want it.
Thank you for the offer. I have already ordered an converter; if it does not work, I will contact you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים