SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to be actually fit without it being an all-consuming hobby
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to be actually fit without it being an all-consuming hobby Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

We have the true stretch cages sprinkled around our club, are you familiar with these? Would this be a good way to stretch/cool down?

Sure, you just don't want to do stretching before the workout as it will weaken the muscles. Warm up-joint mobility stuff and perhaps really light sets of the exercises you'll do in the workout. Any kind of stretching after is good though.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

We have the true stretch cages sprinkled around our club, are you familiar with these? Would this be a good way to stretch/cool down?

Sure, you just don't want to do stretching before the workout as it will weaken the muscles. Warm up-joint mobility stuff and perhaps really light sets of the exercises you'll do in the workout. Any kind of stretching after is good though.

I concur, no more pre-stretches!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
The main problem is that people aren't consistent in their diet and exercise. It should be a lifestyle choice.

^^^^^
I believe this.

Opinions come and go about what the "best" way to exercise is, but the real problem is that people do it sporadically, or only for while, while interested, and then stop. It really is quite difficult to simply set aside the time and do SOMETHING in the long term. A good mix of exercises that changes periodically, seem best.

Diet is similar. it must be a lifestyle commitment that you are always aware of, without becoming fanatical. If you are gaining fat you know you must eat less and exercise a little more.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:The gym exercises that aren't "functional" at all IMO are the machines and anything isolating one muscle group.

Hmmmmmmm.......Might be time to clear the space where that weight machine is sitting.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
The main problem is that people aren't consistent in their diet and exercise. It should be a lifestyle choice.

^^^^^
I believe this.

Opinions come and go about what the "best" way to exercise is, but the real problem is that people do it sporadically, or only for while, while interested, and then stop. It really is quite difficult to simply set aside the time and do SOMETHING in the long term. A good mix of exercises that changes periodically, seem best.

Diet is similar. it must be a lifestyle commitment that you are always aware of, without becoming fanatical. If you are gaining fat you know you must eat less and exercise a little more.

THIS. I made a lifestyle change and totally changed my diet, but I'll be honest have cheated a bit too much during the holidays. Boy, does the weight come back FAST, but it sure takes A LOT longer for it to come back off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
earmarking for future weightloss help

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:The gym exercises that aren't "functional" at all IMO are the machines and anything isolating one muscle group.

Hmmmmmmm.......Might be time to clear the space where that weight machine is sitting.

What machine specifically? I don't like the machines that isolate you into doing a certain exercise.

A Squat rack or universal type exercise machine can have some use.

I prefer clear floor space myself though. I built my current physique at home with a pull up bar and a chair as the only "equipment".

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:What machine specifically? I don't like the machines that isolate you into doing a certain exercise.

A Squat rack or universal type exercise machine can have some use.

It's a Pacific Fitness Zuma. Multiple stations

Here's a link with a guy demonstrating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_lJkywgaM

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks like a very high quality machine...

From a functionally fit, all-around strong performance standpoint; you'd get way more bang for your buck selling it and putting in a pull up/dip station, a bench, and some kettlebells.

If the pull up station has a way to pull at hip height, that lets you do the easier "aussie" version of a pull up which is still a great upper body pulling exercise. Get the high bar as high as you can so your feet can hang at least a couple inches off the floor. If you can't pull up yet, it is still great for flexed and active hangs and hanging knee raises (building up to straight leg raises).

The bench (along with the more conventional ways you could use it with dumbbells or kettlebells) allows for assisted lower body movements. Assisted squats sitting back onto the bench. Assisted 1 leg squats. Split squats (back foot on bench, squatting with front leg). Step ups, jump ups etc.

A side benefit of working out this way, you will develop the knowledge to get a killer workout anywhere. I've done pull ups on the back side of a hotel stairwell. Even without a way to do pull ups, fine. Push ups, lower body and core then.

P.S. if anyone (assuming male) does buy a kettlebell, do not get one less than 36 lbs. They aren't like dumbbells, you don't use them the same way. KBs less that 36 lbs are for women and birds. (Women should start with an 18 or 20lb.) I like these: https://www.kettlebellsusa.com...ameter-free-shipping they are all the same size (dimensions) for the same grip feel and balance regardless of weight.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Ran across this article about the benefits of interval training - especially for aging muscles. It's a study that was conducted by the Mayo Clinic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...d=33307341&te=1&_r=0

The Best Exercise for Aging Muscles

The toll that aging takes on a body extends all the way down to the cellular level. But the damage accrued by cells in older muscles is especially severe, because they do not regenerate easily and they become weaker as their mitochondria, which produce energy, diminish in vigor and number.

A study published this month in Cell Metabolism, however, suggests that certain sorts of workouts may undo some of what the years can do to our mitochondria.

Exercise is good for people, as everyone knows. But scientists have surprisingly little understanding of its cellular impacts and how those might vary by activity and the age of the exerciser.

So researchers at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., recently conducted an experiment on the cells of 72 healthy but sedentary men and women who were 30 or younger or older than 64. After baseline measures were established for their aerobic fitness, their blood-sugar levels and the gene activity and mitochondrial health in their muscle cells, the volunteers were randomly assigned to a particular exercise regimen.

Some of them did vigorous weight training several times a week; some did brief interval training three times a week on stationary bicycles (pedaling hard for four minutes, resting for three and then repeating that sequence three more times); some rode stationary bikes at a moderate pace for 30 minutes a few times a week and lifted weights lightly on other days. A fourth group, the control, did not exercise.

After 12 weeks, the lab tests were repeated. In general, everyone experienced improvements in fitness and an ability to regulate blood sugar.

There were some unsurprising differences: The gains in muscle mass and strength were greater for those who exercised only with weights, while interval training had the strongest influence on endurance.

But more unexpected results were found in the biopsied muscle cells. Among the younger subjects who went through interval training, the activity levels had changed in 274 genes, compared with 170 genes for those who exercised more moderately and 74 for the weight lifters. Among the older cohort, almost 400 genes were working differently now, compared with 33 for the weight lifters and only 19 for the moderate exercisers.

Many of these affected genes, especially in the cells of the interval trainers, are believed to influence the ability of mitochondria to produce energy for muscle cells; the subjects who did the interval workouts showed increases in the number and health of their mitochondria — an impact that was particularly pronounced among the older cyclists.

It seems as if the decline in the cellular health of muscles associated with aging was “corrected” with exercise, especially if it was intense, says Dr. Sreekumaran Nair, a professor of medicine and an endocrinologist at the Mayo Clinic and the study’s senior author. In fact, older people’s cells responded in some ways more robustly to intense exercise than the cells of the young did — suggesting, he says, that it is never too late to benefit from exercise.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great article Bama!

Yup, the best all-around fitness protocol is a few days a week strength training and a couple days interval training. The sample circuit I posted in the OP does both at the same time. You can have it all!

I'm not a runner, I run maybe 3 miles, every other week (if that). I just banged out a 10 3/4 mile trail run today. No issues cardio-wise due to how I train...we'll see how my muscles feel about the distance tomorrow.