SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A country Where the Confederacy is Celebrated.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A country Where the Confederacy is Celebrated. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
https://www.theguardian.com/wo...-ancestry-deep-south

"It had all the trappings of a down-home country fair somewhere well below the Mason-Dixon line: Lynyrd Skynyrd medleys, mile-long lines for fried chicken, barbeque and draft beer, and Confederate flags adorning everything from belt buckles to motorcycle vests to trucker caps.

But Sunday’s party marking the 150th anniversary of the end of the American civil war took place about 5,000 miles south of the south, in a rural Brazilian town that was colonised by families fleeing Reconstruction."

Most of You know history, and know that after the Civil War, many southern soldiers, farmers, moved to South America, in different countries, rather than live under Federal rule.

Their descendants still celebrate the Confederate culture 150 yeas later, but without the racism context labeled on people that celebrate it in the USA.

For all who didn't know of this aspect of history, I posted the above link for your knowledge.

I am sure some liberal/leftist ass will try in the future to interfere .

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I did not know that. See, you learn something new on SIGforum every day! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three ancestors who fought with Pennsylvania militia's at Gettysburg and one of them was a Quaker who renounced his religion to fight slavery. So I am a hard core died in the wool Yankee and quite proud of it.

However I have always had an interest in History and have seen that those who ignore or deny History will inevitably make the same mistakes as those made in earlier periods. So attempting to erase or deny the Civil War and it's causes and after effects only means at some point in the future we will get boiled up in this same type of conflict at some point.

BTW, the primary Cause for Secession was States Rights and that is something EVERYONE needs to pay attention to. In many respects the Federal Government just didn't have the right/Authority to abolish Slavery without a Constitutional Amendment ratified by every State in the Union at that time. Of course Secessionists in Charleston also didn't have the right to start the whole thing rolling by firing on Ft. Sumpter, so there is blame for the Civil War on both sides.

In addition we should also remember the heroism exhibited by combatants and leaders on both sides, because Lee, Jackson, Sherman and Grant were ALL doing what they felt was necessary to defend their homes and homelands. As such they should be regarded as Hero's and treated with Respect for their place in History, and it just doesn't matter what side they were fighting on.

I'll also point out that the Liberal Process is engaging on a very slippery slope on erasing History because the simple truth is that many of our Nation's Founders were also Slave Holders. Two that come to mind are Washington and Jefferson. So, when are we going to rename our Nation's Capital and what will it be called. Then what do with do with the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial. Knock them down, fill in the pool at the Jefferson, and burn down the Cherry Trees. That aint gonna happen. Because myself and many many others will be standing arm in arm to insure that never happens.

I have two words for the Liberals driving this denial and they are F... Y...

PS; I am not excusing the EVIL that was Slavery, in any respect it was wrong. However it is a part of our History and we all need to except that this Nation made mistakes in the past and we need to accept it, know that it's over, and use that History to insure that something similar never happens again. I'll also point out that a certain segment of our population really needs to be doing something about the Genocide that members of their very community are committing instead of whining about the past.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Had a soldier in my unit from Mexico City. Red hair, fair skin. His ancestor had served with the Irish brigade of the confederate army. After the war he'd moved to Mexico.
Perhaps little known is at the Battle of Fredericksburg the Irish Brigades of both armies met in battle.
https://gcaggiano.wordpress.co...h-at-fredericksburg/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Learn something new every day, thank you.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Interesting, I did not know that. See, you learn something new on SIGforum every day! Cool

I didn't either. Thanks.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this - fascinating article.

Progressive heads must be exploding right now...

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder why they don't fight, bite, scratch , kick, bomb, crash and name call there.
why do you suppose that is?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. Thanks, Sunset_Va!

Hey! It just occurred to me: Maybe they'd like to have all that statuary that some "American" cities and states say they don't want around, any more?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Informative & thought provoking read. Thanks Sunset.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I have three ancestors who fought with Pennsylvania militia's at Gettysburg and one of them was a Quaker who renounced his religion to fight slavery. So I am a hard core died in the wool Yankee and quite proud of it.

However I have always had an interest in History and have seen that those who ignore or deny History will inevitably make the same mistakes as those made in earlier periods. So attempting to erase or deny the Civil War and it's causes and after effects only means at some point in the future we will get boiled up in this same type of conflict at some point.

BTW, the primary Cause for Secession was States Rights and that is something EVERYONE needs to pay attention to. In many respects the Federal Government just didn't have the right/Authority to abolish Slavery without a Constitutional Amendment ratified by every State in the Union at that time. Of course Secessionists in Charleston also didn't have the right to start the whole thing rolling by firing on Ft. Sumpter, so there is blame for the Civil War on both sides.

In addition we should also remember the heroism exhibited by combatants and leaders on both sides, because Lee, Jackson, Sherman and Grant were ALL doing what they felt was necessary to defend their homes and homelands. As such they should be regarded as Hero's and treated with Respect for their place in History, and it just doesn't matter what side they were fighting on.

I'll also point out that the Liberal Process is engaging on a very slippery slope on erasing History because the simple truth is that many of our Nation's Founders were also Slave Holders. Two that come to mind are Washington and Jefferson. So, when are we going to rename our Nation's Capital and what will it be called. Then what do with do with the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial. Knock them down, fill in the pool at the Jefferson, and burn down the Cherry Trees. That aint gonna happen. Because myself and many many others will be standing arm in arm to insure that never happens.

I have two words for the Liberals driving this denial and they are F... Y...

PS; I am not excusing the EVIL that was Slavery, in any respect it was wrong. However it is a part of our History and we all need to except that this Nation made mistakes in the past and we need to accept it, know that it's over, and use that History to insure that something similar never happens again. I'll also point out that a certain segment of our population really needs to be doing something about the Genocide that members of their very community are committing instead of whining about the past.

I think it is oversimplifying (or ignoring) the slavery issue when you say it was simply an issues of State's Rights. That begs the questions as to what "right?" The right to own slaves, of course. The Civil War was about slavery, or, in other words, the federal government's right to limit it, at least according to civilwar.org and the authority it cites.

Also, the difference between Lee and Washington is that Washington is celebrated and honored for his contributions to our country OTHER than for fighting to keep slaves. The same cannot be said for Lee. Arguing that a slippery slope exists is like saying both men were male, had two legs, and also two eyes--they're identical, so who is next? Look at what they are celebrated for.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post