SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdoorsy summer activities in NH?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoorsy summer activities in NH? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Dixie and I are vacationing in NH this summer.

We'll be attending two classes at SIG Academy, but otherwise are looking for outdoor activities in the state. We will be camping, probably in the Epping/Exeter area, so that's base of operations.

Looking for things like ATVing, white water rafting, hiking, etc. Neither of us likes beachy type stuff.

Would like to hit Mt. Washington (a long drive from Epping, though) and Lake Winnipesaukee. Maybe also see some historical stuff.

Suggestions?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
For ATV and whitewater rafting, I would suggest Maine (particularly the Forks region) but that's another 3 to 4 hours north.

That said, there is some amazing hiking and sightseeing in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The academy is a great place! I drive by it going home from work most days.

There are (or at lest were) several places up north that do guided ATV tours I can't remember any specific service as I did that as a teen. There is a decent trail network called the Rockingham (country) recreation trail that isn't far from that but I'm not aware of anyone that rents ATVs around here though to be fair I have never looked into it.

Rafting again is something you'll probably have to head north to do but there are literally limitless options for hiking in the area. The stuff in southern NH would mostly be in the state parks (Bear Brook or Pawtuckaway) and again if you have time to make the trek north, the mountains offer all sorts of hiking.

For a history binge, nothing can touch a day in Boston. Freedom Trail, USS Constitution, etc.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Day trip to Boston and do the freedom tail, walk about.
Portland Me for a day trip
Long road trip up Rt 93, Kangamangus high way, North Conway.
Numerous old forts and stuff to tour all along the coast.
Walking about Salem Ma (Peabody Museum, Marblehead

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check out the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine. You won't be too far from it.

Mt Washington is worth the drive. Love that whole area. Beautiful country.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Pro tip:

You will not find the Kangamangus Highway on any map. You WILL however, find the Kancamaugus Highway.

Ok, so...

There is a lot of trail in NH.

Very close to the Academy is New England Dragway for 1/4 mile drags.

Lake Winnapasaukee is about a hour or so up. The Mount Washington boat tour is quite nice, and Dinner at the Lobster Pound is tasty. Drinks, if they are your thing are good at The Loony Bin just North of US3 from Weirs Beach, where the MW docks.

I am not a fan of a famous turkey dinner place which is highly touted locally- I've seen their kitchen.

Mount Rattlesnake trail available from NH 113 in Holderness is a nice day hike with picnicking, has nice scenery and overlooks Squam Lake (where On Golden Pond was filmed).

More to follow...

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kangamangus high way

Nice motorcycle ride.

BTW, don't know where you are staying but consider a new bed and breakfast located only a few miles from the academy.

It has been totally renovated recently and owner and operated by some great people who are very active at Sig and in the area shooting sports.

https://www.facebook.com/plumerhomestead/

Feel free to get in touch if you need ,local information.

quote:
Dinner at the Lobster Pound is tasty

Weirs Beach Lobster Pound closed up. This place is a great local lobster place.

http://www.chaunceycreek.com/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
No white water unless you go to Maine and you have to hit the right time of year but nothing beats hiking the White Mountains. Sig Pro Shop will offer you some good deals. Make sure you have a licensed dealer back home you can ship to.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
One of my clients owns a few AMAZING Italian restaurants/shops in NH called Tuscan kitchens, if you end up near one I strongly suggest stopping in for a meal.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
The Flume hike at Franconia Notch.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Anywhere in the White Mountains does it for me. We get there for at least 1 week every summer for the past 25 years. Cannon Mountain, Flume Gorge, Cascade trail, and definitely a trip to Mt. Washington via the Kangamangus Highway. Plenty of places to pull over on the highway and take in the Presidential range. We have a travel trailer and stay at Franconia Notch State Park. Only 7 sites, not at all fancy but the lake is right there and it makes a good home base for day trips.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:

wow she had all her teeth!

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
One of my clients owns a few AMAZING Italian restaurants/shops in NH called Tuscan kitchens, if you end up near one I strongly suggest stopping in for a meal.

We had our company Christmas party at the one in Salem. Food is really good for sure.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:

We had our company Christmas party at the one in Salem. Food is really good for sure.

The owner joe faro has been a client and friend for nearly a decade. Hands down one of the most genuine guys you'll ever meet, his "story to success" is equally cool, from humble beginnings. his car collection is absolutely epic as well.

http://www.unh.edu/unhtoday/20.../passion-joe-faro-91

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I will be happy to host you and the Mrs. for a trip to the range at Exeter Sportsmans Club. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Update on the trip. We'll be in Portsmouth for the first days of our trip while we're taking classes at the Academy.

Then we move to camping in Rumney for 2 days.

In those two days we would like to see/do the following:

- Kayak (somewhere near the campsite)

- Hike/drive around White Mountain National Park:
- We for sure want to see Mt Washington (and hike)
- Drive down the Kancamangus Highway
- And would prefer but don't necessarily need to see the Flume Gorge.

How should we best go about accomplishing these things? What is the best route to drive to get to these destinations?

We want to make sure we have time to hike around Mt Washington, but some of these destinations are rather far apart.

Green Highlander, I'll shoot you an email in a week or two!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post