SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Having a tough time lubing zerk fittings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having a tough time lubing zerk fittings Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Decided to lube my 2012 JD lawn tractor. Got a tractor lift from HF which makes getting to the deck lube points pretty easy. The ones near the wheels are no problem.

But it's a tight fit working on the deck fittings and at least for me impossible to put enough force to secure the coupling.

So my question..are all couplings threaded to screw onto the grease hose? I was thinking if I could just push the coupling on the fitting and then be able to snap it onto the hose it would be much easier, but the end of the hose is threaded. Are they all threaded or can you get a grease gun with a quick connect coupling?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
You can buy a needle attachment that a standard zerk hose end will attach to. Place that with pressure right again the ball (check valve) of the fitting and pump the grease in.

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln...eedle+grease+fitting

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ What 6guns says. Had to use a needle adapter to get to my snowblower fittings. Worked surprisingly well.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Also, some deck zerks are located at points that would require deck removal to access. Might be worth locating a service manual to see.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drobinson
posted Hide Post
Locknlube grease gun fitting $29.99 from amazon. Great product now I don't dread greasing my equipment.

Posts: 563 | Location: SC | Registered: April 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Just ordered. So you just insert needle into zerk fitting? There's got to be a catch somewhere, sounds too easy!

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Thanks guys. Just ordered. So you just insert needle into zerk fitting? There's got to be a catch somewhere, sounds too easy!

Yes! It is that easy....but apply pressure to make sure the grease goes in.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what model Deere you have but I've had a bunch of different Deere models and never had trouble greasing the spindle bearings with a 12" flex hose on my grease gun and a standard fitting on the end. I don't see how jacking up the machine makes it easier to get to those fittings. You do have the deck in the all the way down position don't you? It would get crowded if it was raised.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also use a 90* slotted coupler. This pushes on from the side instead of down from the top.

Posts: 57 | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have one gun with a longer flexible hose, sometimes the added length makes it easier.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AGFNTB:
You can also use a 90* slotted coupler. This pushes on from the side instead of down from the top.

I had no idea that existed. I'm ordering one.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
You guys are great! Got the needle attachment yesterday and it works like a charm. A neighbor who knows a lot more than I do regarding lubing assured me it would never work and a waste of money.

The only thing is that you really need two people, one to hold the needle in place with pressure and another to work the gun. That said it enabled me to grease the one fitting that was located where a conventional coupling could not reach.

I was about to remove the fitting and replace with a right angle zerk but now don't have to.

Thanks! Once again SF to the rescue.

NRA Life Member