SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush calls for Confederate Plaque to come down
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush calls for Confederate Plaque to come down Login/Join 
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted
Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush on Tuesday called for a plaque honoring the Confederacy to be removed from Texas's state Capitol.

Bush, the eldest child of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) and grandson of former President George H.W. Bush, wrote on Twitter that the "time has come" for Texas to remove the monument, which bears text asserting that the true cause of the Civil War was not to defend the practice of slavery.

"The time has come for the Confederate plaque to come down. These types of displays belong in museums, not our state capitol," Bush wrote.

"This plaque was put up at a vote by the Texas Legislature. It’s the Texas Legislature with the responsibility to take it down,” he said earlier this year according to the Texas Tribune. "Should they take it down because of the factual inaccuracy? Absolutely."

Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D), whose Senate campaign garnered national attention earlier this year, also called last month for the monument to come down.

Texas authorities rejected a license plate design earlier this month from a Confederate group over concerns that the design and its Confederate imagery would conflict with existing designs.

Controversy over Confederate monuments is also making headlines currently in North Carolina, where officials at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill are working to determine the future of the school's "Silent Sam" monument.

More at:
George P. Bush calls for Confederate plaque to come down

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C L Wilkins,

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You know what opinions are like.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
You know what opinions are like.
I know, I know!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That gene pool sure has gotten watered down thru the decades.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush calls for Conferate Plague to come down

"Conferate Plague?" I mean, I don't know, guys. That sounds pretty bad

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush calls for Conferate Plague to come down

"Conferate Plague?" I mean, I don't know, guys. That sounds pretty bad

OK, OK. I fixed it.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I voted straight ticket R, except for him. He’s a RINO for sure.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Little by little, history is being erased so that in due time we can get to repeating it...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Lillie by little, history is being erased so that in due time we can get to repeating it...

when do we get to the part about shooting people and watering the tree of Liberty??

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Lillie by little, history is being erased so that in due time we can get to repeating it...

when do we get to the part about shooting people and watering the tree of Liberty??

We are long overdue.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
back in the early 1990s I was sent by my employer on a faculty loan assignment to Hampton University. I was the only white teacher on campus.

The subject of the civil war came up and resulted in some good discussion. The primary thing I learned was that the true history behind the cause of the civil war was virtually unknown.

When will this stupidity about denying history end?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
back in the early 1990s I was sent by my employer on a faculty loan assignment to Hampton University. I was the only white teacher on campus.

The subject of the civil war came up and resulted in some good discussion. The primary thing I learned was that the true history behind the cause of the civil war was virtually unknown.
Well don’t keep it a secret any longer, let us know what the reason was!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the offending plaque (not Plague Wink )

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
This fight has been going on for some time. He is just the latest to give an opinion on the matter.

https://www.texastribune.org/2...nfederate-plaque-te/

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Well don’t keep it a secret any longer, let us know what the reason was!

Well, according to my college history classes and personal studying, the true cause was mostly about states' rights. Could/should the national gubbermint be able to dictate to the states. The southern states felt that the federal gubbermint had no place in telling them how they had to act within their own states.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, according to my college history classes and personal studying, the true cause was mostly about states' rights. Could/should the national gubbermint be able to dictate to the states. The southern states felt that the federal gubbermint had no place in telling them how they had to act within their own states.
Understand that line of the argument; but of course, the main issue the South was concerned about being told what to do by the Federal gubbimint was the Slavery word.

With the South wanting the double standard to do what they please in the South, yet have the Northern, non-slave states required to return runaway Slaves and allow Southern Owners to travel to those states with said Slaves (and that they would remain Slaves).

And I know it's complicated, but none of it is virtually unknown.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

If the SDNY attempts to indict the President, or the fascists in Congress attempt to impeach him, I think we may see the good citizens of this country revolt.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1861, Alexander Stephens, vice-president of the confederacy, gave what came to be known as the "cornerstone speech," which detailed the purpose of the confederacy. Central to it was the defense of slavery, and the avowed certification that the black "race" is inferior.

The civil war is far more than black and white, and it wasn't fought over slavery, though it was a political hot issue. Slavery was, however, the "cornerstone," and founding premise of the confederacy.

The war was fought because the south attempted to secede and destroy the country, and the north saw it as not only an act of treason, but the loss of the bulk of the national value; the economic base of the nation at the time was found in the south.

There will always be opposing views, but to assert that the confederacy's underlying cause was not to sustain slavery is a bald faced lie, and denies the central premise of the confederacy: to ensure that the black man was recognized as inferior, and to protect the institution of slavery. It's quite clear in the cornerstone speech.

quote:
Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition.

http://civilwarcauses.org/corner.htm

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Bush...Beto... 2 identical sides of the letter B

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
sns3guppy, where were you born and raised?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post