SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Perhaps the best BBQ sauce ever invented
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perhaps the best BBQ sauce ever invented Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Yes, I know, it is all personal taste. Some like the mustardy versions, some like the vinegary versions, ... this is neither. It is more Kansas Cityish. Sweet and spicy, and so so good.

Once it passes your tongue you get the wonderful opening taste. Then, about ten seconds later, the heat sets in and sends the taste to a whole different level. By "heat", I don't mean hot, but just enough to let you know it's there.

This stuff is good enough to drink out of the bottle. And I have. Big Grin

Yes, it is a shameless plug for people that I know.
But it really is that good, if you like that kind of sauce rather than the sewage that other types are. Wink

I've been a fan of Alpine Touch products for 30+ years and have used their seasoning for that long. Happy to say that since the original owners sold out to another semi-local family, they've gone to a non-MSG formula and it is every bit as good.

Unfortunately, it's not available on Amazon as yet, so you have to order from them.

Give it whirl. If you don't like it, it's only $5.

https://www.alpinetouch.com/co...ntry-style-bbq-sauce

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
We like it too! They offer a lot of rubs and spices as well as the BBQ sauce. Available at our local Town Pump convenience stores, so we pick it up when stopping to gas the cars.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I barbecue hot dogs all the time! This will be a great addition!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I barbecue hot dogs all the time! This will be a great addition!

Ah, poking the bear with a stick I see. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
This stuff is also very good. We order a case from Alabama once a year.

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite B-B-Q sauce is Famous Dave's Devil Spit, but it is not for the "tender foot" sauce kinda guy. I would try the OP's sauce if I could buy it locally.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The good thing about BBQ Sauces is that there are exactly sixteen more than the grains of sand on the earth.
There are bound be a few good ones out there.
Might just try some of these. Smile

Posts: 22895 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
My favorite B-B-Q sauce is Famous Dave's Devil Spit, but it is not for the "tender foot" sauce kinda guy. I would try the OP's sauce if I could buy it locally.

The Rich n Sassy is good for a milder one.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I like to try sauces, so I gave it a whirl and ordered a 16 oz bottle. My order arrived today. As luck would have it, I had a rack of ribs smoking and could give this sauce a proper taste. I had an unopened bottle of sauce from a smoke joint in Pensacola that my son sent me to compare:

1) Alpine Touch from Montana is a sweet, dark KC type (ketchup-base) with heat. And LOTS of smoke flavoring. Way too much for my taste. Initially, you smell the smoke. It reminds me of a popular national brand with smoke and cayenne added.

2) Hot Spot BBQ from Pensacola is a southern ketchup-base sauce with lots of vinegar. Not too sweet, with heat and spices for a nice finish.

My preference is a vinegar flavored, complex ketchup-based sauce. Alpine Touch did not flip my skirt.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Fair enough, seems to me. I like KC-style sauces, but also prefer not too much smoke. Let's see what others say.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
And LOTS of smoke flavoring. Way too much for my taste.

That's funny, as I don't get much of the smoke. Much be just different tastes.

Either that or your taste buds are all screwed up from the vinegar stuff you usually like. Razz Big Grin

I like a hint of vinegar in a lot of things, BBQ sauce is not one of them. KC all the way for me.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post

The Alpine Touch is on the right, Hot Spot on the left.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Upon your advise, I bought a bottle of the Alpine Touch and I have to say I love the sauce!!!

Thanks for the recommendation!

JP

Posts: 2047 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
As stated by Gustofer, everyone's taste is different. That said, I really dislike sauces that have added smoke flavor. I add smoke to my cooking with natural wood smoke. That, and my wife doesn't like spicy like I do so I have to walk a tight line with what I use on the grill. Therefore, I won't give this a try. To keep the peace I will continue to use Sweet Baby Ray's original sauce which is the wife's favorite.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll check them out. I like comparisons.
I recently started making my own bbq sauce at home and am trying many different things.
If it’s as good as you say I may try to dissect it and replicate because well “imitation is the best form of flattery”.

Side note I’m working on a peach bourbon bbq sauce for ribs and pulled pork.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Base:KETCHUP,
SUGAR-WHITE, SUGAR-BROWN,
LIQUID SMOKE-HICKORY,
MUSTARD, SOY SAUCE, ONION, GARLIC.

Their base is same as Heinz ketchup. The liquid smoke has molasses in it?

posted Hide Post
I bought a few bottles and some of their rubs. Looking forward to trying some new ones.

Posts: 3908 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post