SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinions of casein as protein supplement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions of casein as protein supplement Login/Join 
posted
Just ordered a jar of casein to use in my Vitamix blends as a protein supplement. It's essentially pure protein with negligible carbs and fat, so it's easy to incorporate without throwing off the macronutrient balance I'm trying to maintain.

Of course I decided to jump on the internet after ordering to find the range of opinions goes from "an excellent source of slow protein delivery" to "a substance that can activate cancer like a light switch".

Granted, we're talking about a dietary supplement here, so I expect to run across some snake oil claims.

Anyone have real experience with it?

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have never used it but here is Dr. Axe's take on the matter:

https://draxe.com/casein-protein/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Back when I was power lifting, I drank a milk protein isolate (90% pure casein) before bed. The slow release protein was perfect for before bed. More Info here.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We ate cottage cheese at night to avoid glycogen starvation, when I was powerlifting - depending on how you feel about cottage cheese, it may be a tastier option

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never liked it b/c it is so thick.

Prefer whey or a blend of the two.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How about eating a decent diet, and skipping the processed food-powder derivatives?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
How about eating a decent diet, and skipping the processed food-powder derivatives?

Exactly. If you're not going to the olympics...

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Caesin has some unique properties, which are very useful to athletes. Now, unless you're a collegiate athlete, or higher, JHE is right.

Frankly, even at a higher level, anything aside from protein supplements, and basic ones at that, are a waste of money (Barring Steroids, GHB, Amphetamines, EAC etc - all w. other downsides, but proven effective.)

Frankly, its because "neat" sells. Same reasons why most folks go to gyms, and flail around, rather ineffectually, with "machines", rather than do a good body weight exercise based program (which is really were most people should be at), or a solid free-weight program for the more ambitious.

AKA, why "everyone" bench presses, and "no one" over-head presses, except professionally coached athletes.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Chicken breasts don't blend very well with fruit and kale in a Vitamix.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I am sure there are regular people out there who have naturally achieved high levels of physical development (good muscle mass with little fat) without the aid of any protein supplements, but I'm not one of them.

My wife and I spend a great deal of time and money on food prep so that we can eat healthy foods for almost all of our meals. I have been eating right and training hard for a very long time, and whey and casein protein have made a significant positive impact on my progress compared with a solid food only diet. Primarily with retaining muscle as I lean out and lose fat which is very important to keep your metabolism from crashing. This is especially true as I have reached middle age, and since we both also work full time careers. To reach my required protein levels I'd be eating 5 grilled chicken breasts a day, every day. A person can only eat so many plain chicken breasts and we don't exactly have a private chef to prepare all our meals for us.

I use ON 100% whey for pre and post workout shakes. It's a fast absorbing protein with BCAA's which is good around workout time. But the fast absorption can cause blood sugar and insulin surges that are not desirable outside of the workout window.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum...8-1&keywords=on+whey

So I also use ON casein protein in the evening when I need some additional slowly absorbed protein w/amino acids (without additional carbs or fat).

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum...1&keywords=on+casein

There's also the issue of absorption. Some say you are what you eat, but really you are what you absorb. Both of these ON products are very easy on your GI tract, so they can in fact be better than solid foods for guys like me who do have some food sensitivities.

There are a lot of supplements out there that are just marketing hype. For me whey and casein protein are a food staple, not a supplement.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post