SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Swimming with your cell phone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swimming with your cell phone Login/Join 
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted
Opening my pool today, and ended up taking an accidental dive into it. Phone was underwater for a bit. Into bag of rice it went. Went to the Cell store, guu gave a 50/50 chance it would make it when I try to boot it up in a day and a half. So, a new phone I got with all my contacts and pictures gone. If I cant get the swimming phone running I will lose everything. Vacations, family, contact phone numbers, you name it. This is very maddening and sad. UGH! lesson learned, phone stays out of pocket when next to pool!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Second lesson: Backups, backups, backups!

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Use iCloud, google, or some other service to sync your contacts and other critical info to the cloud so your up-to-date info doesn't only exist on your phone.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
There are some cell phone repair places around here that advertise that they can recover data from wet phones.

Just because the phone won't boot up doesn't mean your data is gone forever.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Also a good excuse to upgrade to the latest models, whether it be Apple or Samsung, as they're both water resistant.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That sux dude, sorry..

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I washed my Iphone 3S, full cycle in our washing machine. I put it under a halogen lamp and also plugged it in to its charger. Took 24 hours but it finally woke up and it worked for years. When I up graded the Iphone store guy could not believe it.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That sucks because I wanted to see the video you were taking with the phone when you fell in.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. We've dunked a few over the years. I've found silica gel works better that rice. I've had a range of success from a one-time start to a few months. Be ready to back it up the phone when you do turn it on.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I went with swimming with my flip phone last year and after a few days in the sun, it came back.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Wait longer than a day

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You fell in the pool? Stylishly done. Most people kill their phones by dropping them in the crapper!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I will never have a phone or watch that is not water resistant. Currently still using a Samsung Galaxy S5. I don't go swimming with it, but if I did it would likely survive.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
This is a good argument for getting a phone with external storage like a micro SD card.

Posts: 11156 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearly all phines have "external storage" if you choose to use it. Cable, wi-fi, cloud or even an external drive will work. My phone automatically backs up photos to my computers when I take a pic, and also shows up on my mother's ipad in Phoenix.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I just went from a Galaxy S6 Active to an iPhone 6s. The Active was water resistant down to 6 feet and I tested it several times.
I do wonder about this iPhone but I hope I don't test it anytime soon.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Wait longer than a day

2 days in the blazing hot sun minimum. Pretty much 1 chance so wait and let it dry.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Mine was samsung 6. I was told not water resistant. I will bring it to cell store and turn it on there, ready to back up immedietly. Im not comfy with the "cloud". Just waiting to get hacked if I did... thanks for the info!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
Mine was samsung 6. I was told not water resistant. I will bring it to cell store and turn it on there, ready to back up immedietly. Im not comfy with the "cloud". Just waiting to get hacked if I did... thanks for the info!

A lot of phones are prett water resistant even though they aren't labeled as such. For instance the IPhone 6S lasts over an hour submerged in a bowel of water. Apple never called it water resistant but it clearly is. Maybe the Samsung 6 will surprise you. If you don't want to do a full back up on the cloud at least sync your contacts with something like the Gmail app.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Ziplock bag filled with rice, a lot of patience and a few prayers might bring it back from the dead. I would NOT turn it on until i gave up hope or run out of time, let the rice work its magic.

Good luck.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post