SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great story about a rifle and meeting Roy Weatherby
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great story about a rifle and meeting Roy Weatherby Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
My dad told stories of going to Weatherby's shop in LA in the mid to late 60's. He always wanted a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe but said that he could never justify the $300 price tag for one. He always regretted not getting one.

That story was one of the reasons I bought a Mark V Accumark in .340 when I decided it was time to upgrade my elk rifle. Someday I may get a Mark V Deluxe as well.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
That was a great story, thanks for sharing it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Great story.
Since I was a kid I always wanted a Weatherby.
50+ years later I finally checked that off my bucket list, three times.
This year I bought a 257 Weatherby magnum simply because the laser Mark stock was gorgeous.
I then stumbled on a new Mark V with a synthetic stock in 30/06 at a very good price. I also always wanted a Weatherby Mark V in 375 Weatherby, I found that in a Weatherby Dangerous game rifle.
I'm a happy camper now.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Great story!

I have a Colt/Sauer in .300 Wby.

Makes me want to get a .340 Wby.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I want a MK XXII, made in Italy preferred but Japan would be cool too.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My father-in-law was from near there. I have his Weatherby 270 Win on a Mauser action. It dates to '57 or so and came from the first shop. Later he added a 300 Wby mag and a 224 Wby on Mark 5 actions. They are all nice guns in high Weatherby style. He never mentioned knowing Roy, but he must have.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Growing up, I certainly lusted after the Weatherby rifles.

They always struck me as exceptionally beautiful tools.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Always enjoy your articles. That’s an amazing story and cool rifle. Hopefully a son or nephew or grandson is a lefty

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I wrote a reply at that article. Repeated below.
Dad and I were really into hunting and the rifles for that. But most of our shooting was off the bench. In a period probably less than 10 years we shot through two 100 pound kegs of surplus 4831 in our magnums and 270Win. I love how my 7 mag shot flatter than Dad's 300Wby.

reply to article:
When I was 9-10+ years old Dad and I went to the Southgate store very often. This was late 50s into 60s. I met Roy Weatherby more than once via the store worker named Max. We got the shop tour more than once. At a stockmakers shop not at Weatherby’s, I saw and even polished on the blue stock that was going to be on a rifle presented to Walter O’Malley.
Dad had a 300Wby but had it rebarreled to Douglas by a barrel fitter named Shook (I think). Also had a 378Wby. One other was a Mk V action with a standard bolt face that he made into a 270 Win. Come to think of it the stockmaker was named Shaw. Don’t hold me to that. It has been a long time.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
And here is the stock I polished on at the stockmaker shop.

https://www.tapatalk.com/group...ng-pictures-t28.html

SIGnature

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby safari stock is second to none. They're just plain gorgeous.
The pistol grip is a perfect for me.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
In the mid 70's, we were working on a Computer Aided Dispatch System for the LA County Fire Department and had rented a house in the area since we would drive down for the week from Santa Barbara.

There are lots of gun shops in the area and Weatherby's was one of the places I made numerous visits. The test range was underground for testing the rifles. At the time, they sold the once fired brass for $2 a box. I made visits and bought 300 and 240 brass when it was available. I am also left-handed shooting rifle and shotgun and right-handed shooting pistol. They were also located in a bad area and I had to run a stop light one time when several duds approached my vehicle.

I already had a 300 which I got in PA. I bought a 240 barreled action from Fowlers Gun Room and stocked it myself. Fowlers also had a large selection of guns and I found a 44 Auto Mag with an additional 357 Auto Mag barrel. Some time later, they had a fire in the basement where they stored powder and an explosion killed several of the employees.

Then there was the Sierra Bullets close by where you could buy bullet blems by the pound. When they had new bullet moulds, they would run a batch to lap the mould and sell them as blems. They shot just as good as new bullets.

There was also Pachmayrs where a friend knew both of the brothers. Back then, you could about get anything done for a price.

These were good times and most of them have moved out of state. Thanks for the memories.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
The Weatherby safari stock is second to none. They're just plain gorgeous.
The pistol grip is a perfect for me.

The standard (but beautiful) stock on Dad's 300 kicked like a mule. Dad had the stockmaker mentioned above make and fit a new stock on it. Fit to my dad made the kick much less.

SIGnature