SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    County deputy shoots self
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County deputy shoots self Login/Join 
Picture of jbcummings
posted
So on Monday, the story was some illegal deer hunter shot this deputy from a deer blind. The sheriff’s dept spent at least one day, maybe two, searching for traces of the perp and set a 10K reward. Now this!

Link

quote:
A Parker County deputy was shot with his own gun on Monday and was not ambushed by an illegal hunter, Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler says.
Investigators initially believed Deputy Jarrett Turner was shot by a hunter while investigating a complaint about poaching on private property along Cattlebaron Road.
The investigation found Turner was shot by his own backup gun, which malfunctioned, Fowler said. Turner was shot in the foot and was treated and released from a Fort Worth hospital.
Fowler said he has six years of experience and has been with Parker County since April 2016.
"This investigation has led us down several avenues," Fowler said. "This incident was not an accidental discharge. It was a weapons malfunction from a concealed backup weapon which was secured and holstered on his person."
Video from the deputy's body camera showed two shots were fired with a bullet striking the approaching deputy in the foot, a sheriff's spokesman said.
Fowler said it is not clear how the gun malfunctioned but said the video showed the deputy’s hands were not on the gun when it discharged.
The sheriff had offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.
The Texas Rangers, Texas Game Wardens, ATF and Parker County deputies were searching the area with dogs Tuesday. Tarrant County Sheriff's Office also assisted in the incident.

Geez boss, I didn’t realize I shot myself...

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Watched this video on thew AM news, I had to admit pretty gusty to a poacher to shoot a cop in Texas.

How long does he get until the jokes start....a boot made from a BP vest... a hopscotch court draw in front of his locker? Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Actually kind of glad to know it wasn't a hunter/ poacher

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I hate those malfunctioning guns that just start shooting all by themselves.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Deleted the post about him possibly lying, I guess it was just a crappy backup gun and poor gumshoe dick work.

Interesting - what kind of malfunctioning backup gun could fire twice like that? And you'd think that they would have pulled his guns right away since a shooting was involve, but I guess 'the fog of war' made it seem more probably he was ambushed by a poacher.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And where in the post above does it indicate that the deputy deliberately lied?
Is there any possibility—however slight—that if the gun discharged without his touching it that he truly believed someone else shot him? Hmm ….

quote:
Fowler said it is not clear how the gun malfunctioned but said the video showed the deputy’s hands were not on the gun when it discharged.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
"This investigation has led us down several avenues," Fowler said. "This incident was not an accidental discharge. It was a weapons malfunction from a concealed backup weapon which was secured and holstered on his person."
Video from the deputy's body camera showed two shots were fired with a bullet striking the approaching deputy in the foot, a sheriff's spokesman said.

I just watched that video a dozen times, and nowhere did I see anything that would indicate the deputy's hand was not on the gun. He had a flashlight in his left hand but I never saw the right hand.
Also, how do you get two rounds from a pistol that is "secured and holstered"? One, maybe. Two?
I think he had the gun in his right hand while he was walking and had a ND.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was a Remington. Those are known to fire when they feel like it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Discharged twice while in its holster all by itself, eh? I'd be really interested in the type of gun and type of holster he had there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
In the body camera footage you can hear him say after the gun fired he thought he stepped on some thing. Wonder if a branch or something hit the trigger. Had to be in an ankle holster. I will be interested to hear what the out come of the investigation will be.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It would be very easy to determine if the thing fired from inside the holster; just as easy to determine if it didn’t. There would be ample residue from the rounds going off inside the holster. They’ll figure it out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
This happened about 2 miles from us here. I’m anxious to hear the outcome as well. Sheriff Fowler is a pretty good guy and all the Parker County SD individuals I’ve come in contact with have been very professional. From all indications I’m thinking something got into the holster/trigger guard as they walked through the brush and activated the trigger. But again just a guess, more to come obviously. I hope the deputy can live it down and at the same time own it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
So it was “secured and holstered on his person” and discharged twice? Did I read that right?

Yeah, in for finding out what it was and what it was holstered in. I’m not a math whizz, but something doesn’t add up here.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"which malfunctioned"

Bullshit

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
The sheriff had offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

If the deputy arrested himself, would he be able to collect the $10,000? Big Grin

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
It's beginning to sound like the story about the bow that went off while it was being cleaned, hitting the cleaner twice in the back...

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post