SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New truck pricing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New truck pricing Login/Join 
posted
Where I work we qualify for some employee pricing. I built a 2018 Ford F250 XLT last night. DAMN!! My options total was a measly $6000. Crew cab, long bed, diesel and with the X-plan came in at $56,000!!

I then worked up a GMC 2500 with roughly the same options. I stopped building when the price hit $57,000 and still had options to add.

Truck pricing has risen quite a bit from when I got mine 17 years ago. My truck snickered at $33,000 then. I guess I'll be putting some money into mine and save up for a Porsche instead!

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
First, is your existing truck a diesel and are you comparing other similar options as your existing truck?

Second, have you priced a 911?

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought you messed up somewhere in your pricing so I went to Chevy and built a 1500. It got to $53,000 really fast. I have a 2003 F150 that I think I'll keep for a few more years.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Pickup truck prices are insane these days.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I like pickup trucks okay, but I don't need one these days.

At todays prices...they can keep them.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been spending some time looking at 2018 Silverado LT with Z71 and all star. Looking at the 3 dealers in my area I get over $5000 diference between then for same truck. It makes no sence.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem so long ago I was snorting in disbelief that they wanted all of nearly $18000 for the plain Jane 4x4 1/2 ton pick up I was lusting after....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Even used truck pricing is crazy. I blame popularity as a major contributing factor.
I gave up diesels two trucks back. I just can’t justify the price of the option, the price of maintenance, the price of the fuel....not to mention the “hippie juice” they require these days.
And the amount of electronics on them. Seems like a late model diesel will leave you on the roadside quicker than a gas burner.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
They are. However, in my area, the used truck pricing is even worse. I bought a new 2017 GMC Sierra in November (was discounted about $13K as the dealer was trying to move ‘17’s to make room for the ‘18’s). Same dealer had a 2015 similarly equipped to what I bought with 25K miles but only $600 less than my deal. Another dealer had a 2015 for $10K less but had 70K miles.

I guess it’s everything these days. Bought a new battery for one of my kids last week for $176. Seems like you could get them for $100 less but I guess that’s longer ago than I realized.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My existing truck is a 2000 F250, diesel, 6 speed manual, 4x4, extended cab with an 8' bed. The options are not the same now as they were then and I built this truck with most of the options I have now. Of course, I added some extras to what I have now. Remote start, power rear sliding window, spray in bed liner, mud flaps front and rear, limited slip rear, all weather floor mats, rapid cab heater, running boards.

Nothing fancy, but functional. Over time though, Ford has added standard equipment that my truck does not have, or was an added optional cost. Heated mirrors, trailer brake controller, to name a few.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that the 2018 f150 can get into the mid $70k for the platinum model

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
1988, demo w/ 2000 miles Dodge D150 4.3L V6 (?) base model standard cab/bed $8,800
1991, stripped Mitsubishi Mighty Max 2.3L V4 $7,200
2001, Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L V4 standard cab/bed $11,600
2013, GMC Sierra SLE 4.8L V8 w/ options standard cab/bed $28,500

Plus tax/tags. Got a nice trade-in allowance with an '00 Acura TL on the Sierra. IMHO, since touch screens went into trucks, the prices have gone nuts. Since a base model Ranger/Canyon/Sonoma is now as large as a "full-size of yesteryear" as well. Since 'standard transmissions' became special order or non-existant.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been pricing 911's also. A 964, 993, or even a 996 turbo can be had for roughly the same price and would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive!

posted Hide Post
Nobody pays MSRP for a pickup truck (special stuff like the Raptor aside). They're still not cheap but you should be able to get several thousand off most pickups.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct, but this is X-plan price. No haggling and I don't think the dealer would go below this price even without X-plan.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I have been pricing 911's also. A 964, 993, or even a 996 turbo can be had for roughly the same price and would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive!

True but where do you hook up a fifth wheel? Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you look at the amount of materials in a truck, and what it takes to build them, there's no reason they should be cheaper than a large car, and likely even more expensive.

Also, the automakers have been pushing gussied up trucks as alternative daily drivers, with a high degree of success. They can likely sell all the trucks they can build in these configurations at high margins. In this situation, why offer cheap stripper trucks to individuals?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
At Barrett-Jackson we saw a mid 80's, bone stock, crap brown, base Cheyenne trim level, 3/4 ton, 4x4, standard cab with long bed go for $30k. We were amazed. The only thing we could think of is that one cannot buy a basic simple truck any longer and that's what drove the price.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Truck pricing has risen quite a bit from when I got mine 17 years ago. My truck snickered at $33,000 then. I guess I'll be putting some money into mine and save up for a Porsche instead!

$33,000 from 2001 would be $46,000 today. Still quite a way off but I also think it's the fact that it's hard to find trucks on lots that aren't loaded with options. The auto manufacturers have figured out that's the way to make money, by bundling extras together.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
At Barrett-Jackson we saw a mid 80's, bone stock, crap brown, base Cheyenne trim level, 3/4 ton, 4x4, standard cab with long bed go for $30k. We were amazed. The only thing we could think of is that one cannot buy a basic simple truck any longer and that's what drove the price.

I just looked on autotrader.com and found 76 new standard cab F-250 XLs for under $30k. Some were longbeds and some had the STX appearance package. The lowest priced one was $24k somewhere in California.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post