SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F-35A engine fire at AFB sparked by strong tailwinds
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F-35A engine fire at AFB sparked by strong tailwinds Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I don't recall any specific tailwind limit either - however in most Navy aircraft, we were limited to maximum surface winds for takeoff due to ejection seat / parachute limitiations.

That in and of itself may have made it a moot point - I don't know how much tail wind is 'too much', but I'm certain if you stuff an assload of wind up the exhaust of a jet engine, you might have issues. That's just common sense, that pushing hot exhaust back onto the aircraft is going to cause damage. At least it makes sense in my mind. Smile

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
damage to the plane is estimated to amount to at least $17 million.

That's absolutely insane. And frankly retarded.

I'm dumbfounded by the cost of these things.

Just how things are now.

According to Wikipedia, the super hornet is 98 million. The 2018 cost of the F-35 is 85 million.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Somebody tell me again about this marvelous piece of design engineering, and how it replaces all other combat aircraft.

Sounds like a lot of hot air.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
damage to the plane is estimated to amount to at least $17 million.

That's absolutely insane. And frankly retarded.

I'm dumbfounded by the cost of these things.

Just how things are now.

According to Wikipedia, the super hornet is 98 million. The 2018 cost of the F-35 is 85 million.

I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. I understand the 85 mil is made up by predicting what the cost will be once the full international sale order is completed. But partners, like Canada, are already falling out and the US will likely short their final buy thus driving the per unit price up. Right now, for the number of F35s delivered, if you calculate the full R&D cost and divide it by the total we actually have, the cost is well into triple digits.

Caveat: I don't have the numbers in front of me.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post