SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It looks like I'm going to be a father
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It looks like I'm going to be a father Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I’m envious. Cool

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
Your commemorative gun should be a shotgun. Useful to fend off would be suitors when she gets older...

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I can’t think of a better Christmas present for you and you wife.

Enjoy every moment. They grow up before you know it.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

I shared some of the same feelings. I remember thinking I would have no idea what to do with a daughter. But you know what? Mine likes to shoot, she likes to fish and she flings arrows with the best of them. Did I also mention that she can spin a torque wrench and change the oil on my tuck?

My goal was to raise the tomboy from hell. Well, she may not be that, she can have a girlie side at times with makeup and watching musicals. But, she can bait her own hook, operate an AR-15 and hit the X-ring at 50 meters with an arrow on a regular basis. Still working on the killing bugs on her own thing...

Point is, don't limit yourself on being a dad because you have a daughter. Do the same things with her that you would do with a son. Get her out there, expose her to as much as you can and see what sticks. You never know what passion they may find.

I had never shot a bow and arrow except for summer camp. We took our daughter to the AZ Fish & Game Expo when she was 6 to take a look around. They had an archery demonstration there and she wanted to shoot a bow. The organizers would not let her since she was so young. The PSE rep there thought she was cute, put a bow in her hand and helped her draw it back. Her very first arrow landed in the X-ring. Now she's 13, a pro staff shooter for our shop, a field staff shooter for PSE and headed to Nationals next week.

Why do I say this? It's a journey, show them the world, give them some guidance, let them find their own path and enjoy the ride!

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My daughter was a blessing, and I hope you enjoy the same relationship with yours. Mine's 25 now. Where do the years go?

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Congrats , you will have one lucky little girl, who will make you happy for the rest of your life!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all for the prayers, good thoughts and well wishes. When we began down this journey I said all along that all I wanted was a healthy baby. Boy or girl, as long as they're healthy that's all that matters. Now having found out the sex I still feel that way, but things just seem more real now. It's not just an overgrown amoeba, it's a little girl now. The experience is somewhat humbling.

My father walked out on my mother and I when I was a year old. I haven't seen him since - 37 years now. Hell my mother had to track him down for years just to be able to get a divorce. While I've had great men, great father figures in my life, the fact that I've never known my father both scares the hell out of me and at the same time makes me determined to get it right.

Ultimately my daughter we be the person she's meant to be, but I sure won't shy away from introducing her to guns, trucks, tractors, etc. If she takes after her dad and embraces guns, fast cars, whiskey and what not all the better. One thing that sticks with me is the amount of messed up people with kids I've encountered over the last almost 15 years in law enforcement. I've got lots of first hand instructions on what NOT to do as a parent so hopefully that serves me well.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me share. And thanks again for all the well wishes.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post