SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will a tire shop fix this tire?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will a tire shop fix this tire? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A quart in 3k miles isn't exactly an oil burner. What size tire is on the vehicle. $600-$900 a set seems a bit high for the smaller sizes. I could have put a set of 265/70/16 tires on my truck for the low end of that range.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
No way I’d patch, plug or continue to run that tire.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
No way I'd put a plug in that and any reputable tire shop isn't gonna fix it.

I had good luck buying tires on craigslist or as someone said try a used tire shop.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Sig forum verdict is in... nearly unanimous, to be honest kind of what I expected.

She's toast!

No TPMS... AND... I just happen to have a can of Fix-a-flat in the garage I bought for a chronic leaking grandkids bike tire and never used.... Fate? Maybe, maybe not, but close enough! Now if I can just FIND it...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not in the sidewall. Check it for a foreign object (use needlenose, tire deflated). get a plug kit from walmart and run one in yourself. The tire is about shot anyway; you're not out anything if you plug it, if you intend to run it a bit longer.

Your tread looks well below 3mm...time to consider new tires. Or used ones, or anything.

Don't use fix-a-flat. Just plug it, and watch your inflation values on all tires.

A quart of oil every 3,000 miles isn't exactly sucking it down. Oil consumption by itself doesn't tell you a lot about engine health. If it's making power and running well, a quart between oil changes is nothing.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
Yeah that is too close to the sidewall to be safe. You don’t want a patch to be curved, there is too much of a chance of patch failure due to flex.

Now you can take your chances and plug it yourself. Because of liability issues, I doubt any reputable tire store will repair that.

I agree with shifferbrains. My ex had the same about 3-4 weeks ago and the tire place would not repair it.

Yup, most tire shops will say it is not repairable for liability reasons for them, but it can be patched. You just have to do the plug on your own, which is easy.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
A small shop that doesn't care about liability might. A larger shop won't.

Agreed, and the takeaway is you shouldn’t drive on it, let alone allow another to or sell the car like that. That would be nuts.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12349 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Plug it.
Clip it.
Trade it in.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tire shop, no.

I'd fix it myself with a plug kit.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
"Thing is we are considering trading it off as the engine now uses about a quart of oil every 3k miles, has 200k on the clock and is 13 years old."

Some NEW cars use oil faster than that and it's considered within factory specs. As for miles and age, they don't mean as much as how it's been driven and maintained.

Is it reliable? Are you just sick of it? Do you have new car fever? I've driven 20 year old cars that I hated to get rid of. In fact, I'm driving one right now. A good set of tires will cost a lot less than another car, especially a new one.

My guess is that a shop would refuse to repair that tire based on tread wear alone.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
This tire wouldn't likely be a candidate because of the wear, but a tire in better condition can be salvaged with a radial tube. It's not common and they're not inexpensive; last time I bought one it was 40 or $50, plus installation, balancing, etc. Less than a new tire though...

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heck - you could have 4 new tires - cheapy Chinese ones $60 a piece - replaced for a couple hundred bucks.

would possibly help you sell the car : 'new tires' if you decide to go that route...

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Talked to a Bridgestone engineer once when I had a similar leak but further into the center. He said he would have no problem running a patched tire so long as the interior patch does not roll up on the sidewall. In my case I was ok. Think yours is too close. Can you patch it....sure. Would I bet my life on it.....not so much.

^^^^
This.

That tire barely has any usable tread left anyway. If money is tight, I would look for a used tire to bridge the gap. Most discards are in better shape than that one.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
What size are the tires? If the used tire shops around you are anything like the used ones here, you can actually do better by buying cheap new ones than used.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
even without the pin hole the tire is shot. I wouldn't trade or sell a vehicle with a tire I knew was unsafe.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tire is history...get the best set you can afford. At the end of the day your car is only as safe as your worst tire.

I don't know how old or worn out your car is but 1 qt every 3K miles is not bad. I remember when you expected that out of a new car (yes I am old).

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
To pile onto what everyone has been telling you, a tire shop most likely wouldn't patch the tire simply on the basis of the tread being too worn. Your puncture could be in the middle of the tire and they still wouldn't do it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Shops around here will not do the outer tread. New tire is in order.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post