SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will a tire shop fix this tire?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will a tire shop fix this tire? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Pinhole in the yellow circle. Requires airing up once a week. It is right on the corner of where the tread transitions to the sidewall. The tires are almost worn to the wear bars anyway but they quoted 600 to 900 for a new set.

Thing is we are considering trading it off as the engine now uses about a quart of oil every 3k miles, has 200k on the clock and is 13 years old.

OR... would it be safe just to plug it myself, would a plug hold at this spot?

Just curious what the collective thinks.

I did go by the tire shop today but they were backed up longer than i had time to wait.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I would see if they would patch it, instead of a plug.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
From a positional standpoint, I don't see why not. It's in the tread, not the sidewall. Interior patch, not a plug.
Based on the degree of wear, they might try to talk you out of it.
Telling them that you're about to trade the vehicle in might do the trick.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Most tire shops will probably refuse to repair a tire with a penetration that close to the edge. It's a point of to much flex. They don't want the liability. You personally could try to patch or insert a repair string but it probably won't last long.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Talked to a Bridgestone engineer once when I had a similar leak but further into the center. He said he would have no problem running a patched tire so long as the interior patch does not roll up on the sidewall. In my case I was ok. Think yours is too close. Can you patch it....sure. Would I bet my life on it.....not so much.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Yeah that is too close to the sidewall to be safe. You don’t want a patch to be curved, there is too much of a chance of patch failure due to flex.

Now you can take your chances and plug it yourself. Because of liability issues, I doubt any reputable tire store will repair that.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
Yeah that is too close to the sidewall to be safe. You don’t want a patch to be curved, there is too much of a chance of patch failure due to flex.

Now you can take your chances and plug it yourself. Because of liability issues, I doubt any reputable tire store will repair that.

I agree with shifferbrains. My ex had the same about 3-4 weeks ago and the tire place would not repair it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
A small shop that doesn't care about liability might. A larger shop won't.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try a place that sells used tires and see if you can find one with similar tread.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ha! I literally had the same thing happen to my tire with a screw two hours ago.

Same spot too!

Put my spare on, went to the tire place. I thought I was safe since it wasn’t on the sidewalk, but up higher, like yours, sorta in the tread.

My tire guy said nope and explained nicely why even though it’s not sidewall, it’s not safe to fix.

So I’m going with no.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Unlikely since it is so close to the sidewall, as others have said. Just plug it yourself with a kit.

I've done that with my truck and have had no issues.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Nope. Too close to the sidewall.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No tire shop worth their salt will repair that. The hole is too close to the sidewall, as well as having little to no tread on that edge (probably both of them). It looks as if it has been run chronically underinflated. If you don't have TPMS you can get sealants that may or may not work, or you can get a plug kit and do it yourself to buy it a little time, but even this is against my advice. Life is too short to drive on shitty tires.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Most tire shops will probably refuse to repair a tire with a penetration that close to the edge. It's a point of to much flex.

That was my experience when I had a nail in a similar spot. Too close to the sidewall. They wouldn't touch it.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
negative. He's dead, Jim.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throw some fix-a-flat in it if you are really getting rid of it. If it burns that much oil, you've got bigger problems.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
Plug it yourself or, if it only needs air once a week, air it up and go trade it in. Agree with the others, I do not believe a tire shop will patch it.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Throw some fix-a-flat in it if you are really getting rid of it. If it burns that much oil, you've got bigger problems.

I'm on board with this as well.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Don't throw fix-a-flat in it if you have TPMS sensors in it.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Try a place that sells used tires and see if you can find one with similar tread.

This

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post