SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
...Gibson’s fund a Baking Program at the college in the new Gibson Building.
I think that's an EXCELLENT idea!

GIBSON'S SCHOOL OF CULINARY PASTRY ARTS

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 6187 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Be neat to have verdict supported by court on review and oberlin has to pay up. Then Gibson’s fund a Baking Program at the college in the new Gibson Building.

As the new president pointed out, they have a Community 101 program teaching about community relationship, town vs. gown. Gibson's Bakery should be teaching and administering that entire program

Posts: 9236 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I- drink your milkshake!! I DRINK IT UP!!!

Posts: 87628 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
So good!

Posts: 9236 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, sad news from Gibson's Bakery. One of the co-owners, Dave Gibson, has pancreatic cancer. The other owner is his 91 year old father.

Dave Gibson says he believes that Oberlin College is now just trying to wait out the deaths of his dad and himself.

Here is part of the statement of this good and strong man. If Oberlin College thinks this family will just fold, it's just one more thing they are completely wrong about:

“....recent public statements from Oberlin College make it clear that the college is refusing to accept the jury’s decision. The college has stated that the verdict is just the beginning of a long legal process, and I believe they’re sending a clear message to me and to my 91-year-old dad that they will just wait us out,” David Gibson said. “But I’ll do everything I can to make sure I see this through, and even if I’m not able to see the end of this battle, our family is committed to continue serving the Oberlin community, just as we have for the past 134 years.”

http://www.chroniclet.com/cops...to-wait-him-out.html

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 10794 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Stopped into Gibson's this past Saturday and bought a pastry and congratulated them.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others. The same thing happens when you're stupid.

Posts: 3587 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Oberlin College is seeking a new trial. I'm not a lawyer, so the discussion in this article is not completely clear to me. Maybe one of our lawyers can tell us the salient points.

There is behavior so malicious and underhanded that to me it seems truly evil. Bad enough that Oberlin lied and bullied in an attempt to destroy the business and the lives of the Gibsons, but now they persist, even though one owner is 91, and the other, his son, has stage 4 cancer.

May karma descend on Oberlin like a hawk.

https://legalinsurrection.com/...gibsons-bakery-case/

Posts: 10794 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Vile, despicable people. They KNOW that they're guilty as sin.

Posts: 87628 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Even if they pass, the lawsuit could be continued in the name of the business, it's successors or estate/trust if it's setup properly.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 13730 | Location: FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Oberlin College has been denied a new trial. Big Grin

https://legalinsurrection.com/...gibsons-bakery-case/

Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
I wish all power and justice to the Gibsons in this. Just unbelievable. “We’re elite because we wish it so and you should lick our boots because it follows and we deem it proper” was not exactly the mindset that made this country what it is, but did cause it to come into existence, after a fashion.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure how to say this, but in my opinion it’s not that the Oberlin adminstators realize they screwed up and made a mistake and are worried about paying a judgement, it’s 100% that they are absolutely convinced they did nothing wrong and in their minds it is absolutely inconceivable that they were wrong and they are 100% right to do what they did.

Very dangerous psycholically in beliefs and actions. Very dangerous people.

Posts: 8077 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ I just retired from a long career in academia, and from my observations I would combine what you and P220 Smudge are saying. The Oberlin professors and administrators are absolutely certain of their superiority. To them, the townspeople of Oberlin are unwashed, ignorant masses who "cling to their Bibles and guns."

Remember that one? It perfectly revealed the mindset of academics.

Their goal is to become the undisputed arbiters of every cultural/social/educational issue or conflict. The masters who rule the proles.

OKCGene is right. They are very dangerous people. If you wonder where those who created the gulags came from, or how The Red Guard was possible, or the Third Reich-- here they are, in Oberlin. And in countless colleges and universities across the country.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder if those people at the college(?) even understand what is going on.

IMO, they should all be personally held responsible for the financial damages. Why?

Because they are the ones that caused the whole shit storm!

I have zero sympathy for the college itself or its staff.

From what I have read in this thread and elsewhere, our nation would be better served if this so-called college was closed up.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 24562 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post