SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College Login/Join 
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

America First!

Posts: 3049 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This guy's style annoys me a bit, but there's some good information in this video.

"Psychotic, disgusting authoritarians"

Posts: 87633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:
Legal Insurrection tweeted excerpts from the trial this weekend. Interesting/Sad

Legal Insurrection Oberlin Trial Excerpts

That's worth reading.

Amazing. RICO charges would be entertaining...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 10466 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hope they collect every single penny being sought in damages so they can pick up shop and set up in a more honest environment. It’s clear that no matter what happens, they can’t keep their business in town any longer.

After the exit, it would be great to have a mole in place to monitor the school to try and document any more slanderous remarks. It would be awesome to hit them with a defamation suit after they leave town for millions more; woke leftists are so sure they’re on the right side of social injustice that they won’t be able to help themselves.

"In America, there is no such thing as poor people, there are lazy people."- Edmond's dad

Posts: 10743 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I hope they collect every single penny being sought in damages so they can pick up shop and set up in a more honest environment. It’s clear that no matter what happens, they can’t keep their business in town any longer.

After the exit, it would be great to have a mole in place to monitor the school to try and document any more slanderous remarks. It would be awesome to hit them with a defamation suit after they leave town for millions more; woke leftists are so sure they’re on the right side of social injustice that they won’t be able to help themselves.

If you read all the articles, it was the town and local community that overwhelmingly supported the bakery. According to the articles there were several instances of local citizens buying everything for sale when the protestors were trying to shut them down.

Posts: 2826 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
If you read all the articles, it was the town and local community that overwhelmingly supported the bakery. According to the articles there were several instances of local citizens buying everything for sale when the protestors were trying to shut them down.

Still, not enough to make up for the lost revenue from the university contract, its really a shame that a relationship that longstanding in a nice community became the target of overzealous students, administrators and social media.

It's excellent that the wheels of justice turned on the SJW, but I'll agree with Gearhounds, they (SJW) still won't get the message that their actions were wrong, they'll just blame the verdict on the established processes that hold people down.

Still, they got what they deserved, too bad they can't enjoin everyone that participated personally into the damages...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 13730 | Location: FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
It's more than enough to make up for it.

33 million compared to what I believe was an estimate of 5.8 million in lost revenue.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 18288 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

I'm sorry, I'm thinking about the cats again...

Posts: 25214 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The president of Oberlin appeared on NPR yesterday. They've apparently learned nothing. Here's the transcript:

NPR's Scott Simon talks to Oberlin College President Carmen Twillie Ambar about the $44 million libel verdict against the college. The jury said Oberlin defamed a local bakery.

SCOTT SIMON, HOST:
Oberlin College is in the middle of a controversy. In November 2016, Oberlin students began to boycott Gibson's, a local bakery and convenience store that's been in business in that college town for more than a century. The store accused an underage black student of shoplifting wine there. The student later admitted to stealing, but by then, protests had already taken hold.
Signs accused Gibson's Bakery of racism. Oberlin stopped doing business with them for two months. The bakery says they lost business and were forced to lay off workers. So in 2017, they sued Oberlin, claiming libel and slander, among other things. A jury agreed and awarded the bakery a total of $44 million. The college is considering whether to appeal.
Carmen Twillie Ambar is the president of Oberlin. President Ambar, thanks so much for being with us.

CARMEN TWILLIE AMBAR: Thanks for having me.

SIMON: We should note you were not president during the initial protests.

AMBAR: No, I wasn't. I arrived about 10 months later.

SIMON: What are your concerns about this judgment?

AMBAR: Really, that this is a First Amendment case about whether an institution can be held liable for the speech of its students and the actions of its students. And I think it's important, whether you're a progressive or conservative, whether you are a small business owner or a large employer - about whether you can be held responsible for the speech of people who either work for you or are part of your community. And so that's really what this case is about. And I think it's important for us to talk about it in that way, even as we can get into some of the disputed facts around this issue.

SIMON: Well, I gather the people - the family that own Gibson's makes the argument that the college actively supported the demonstrators - pizza, warm clothing - and, by canceling business with them for a couple of months, gave credence to the charges, even though, of course, as it developed in court, the young man was absolutely guilty of what was charged.

AMBAR: So I think it's interesting 'cause there are certainly disputed facts about what the college did or didn't do around the protest. You know, there may have been some individual faculty there that had their own perspective about it.
But here is what I would say to folks. The first thing to remember is that our policies require that our dean of students sort of be at the protest to make them safe and lawful. You know, ultimately, what happened was there were no arrest at the protest. There was no property damage at the protest. There was no violence at the protest. And so sometimes what people perceive as support is what you do to de-escalate a protest.

SIMON: So your position would be that your dean of students would be there, even if there were some Oberlin students who decided to have a Make America Great rally.

AMBAR: Absolutely. The content of the speech isn't relevant. And she's supposed to be a liaison to the police. And, in fact, the police contacted her staff to talk about this particular protest as it was happening. So it wouldn't matter whether they were there for a Make America Great rally or whether they were there to talk about some progressive cause. The content of the speech is not why we're there. It's there to be able to protect the community and to make it a lawful protest.

SIMON: Racism is an ugly charge. Can you see why the Gibsons were upset by it?

AMBAR: Oh, absolutely. I - absolutely. If you're called a name that you don't believe is true, then I can absolutely see why the Gibsons were upset.

SIMON: Recognizing you're in the middle of this experience, do you have any advice for other schools on how to uphold the right of any member of the student body or the faculty to express themselves without appearing that the university necessarily is signing on to it? - because, of course, there are student activists who say the university should sign on to it.

AMBAR: Well, I think - conversations that we need to have with our students around activism and to make sure that they know that even in their activism and even though some speech might be permissible, they do have to understand the impact of that speech. And that's a fair conversation to have - that, you know, speech is permissible, but it can be hurtful to people.

SIMON: President Carmen Twillie Ambar of Oberlin College. Thanks so much for being with us.

AMBAR: Thank you.

Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 14433 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
SIMON: So your position would be that your dean of students would be there, even if there were some Oberlin students who decided to have a Make America Great rally.

AMBAR: Absolutely. The content of the speech isn't relevant. And she's supposed to be a liaison to the police. And, in fact, the police contacted her staff to talk about this particular protest as it was happening. So it wouldn't matter whether they were there for a Make America Great rally or whether they were there to talk about some progressive cause. The content of the speech is not why we're there.

Liars. The dean was there with a bullhorn calling the Gibsons racists. She was handing out pamphlets calling them racist. Far from a liaison with the police, making sure that everything was going smoothly as regards the First Amendment, Roll Eyes she was an agitator, an instigator. She was there to attack and smear the Gibson family.

Carmen Twillie Ambar? Even W.C. Fields couldn't make up that one. Big Grin

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 10794 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
SIMON: Well, I gather the people - the family that own Gibson's makes the argument that the college actively supported the demonstrators - pizza, warm clothing - and, by canceling business with them for a couple of months, gave credence to the charges, even though, of course, as it developed in court, the young man was absolutely guilty of what was charged.

AMBAR: So I think it's interesting 'cause there are certainly disputed facts about what the college did or didn't do around the protest. You know, there may have been some individual faculty there that had their own perspective about it.

There's no dispute, the court case revealed the extent of Oberlin College's involvement.

Posts: 9236 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An op-ed from a co-owner:

https://www.usatoday.com/story...t-column/1523525001/

Oberlin bakery owner: Gibson's Bakery paid a high cost for an unfairly damaged reputation

David Gibson, Opinion contributor
Published 12:28 p.m. ET June 21, 2019 | Updated 3:55 p.m. ET June 23, 2019

Gibson's Bakery has always been a source of pride for my father and my family. We weren't going to allow our reputations to be tarnished by lies.

A business is only as strong as its reputation.

For more than 130 years, this principle served my family well. We own and operate Gibson’s Bakery in the city of Oberlin, Ohio — home to Oberlin College. Over that time, we have worked hard to build a reputation on our homemade baked goods, candy and ice cream, and on our commitment to our community.

Started by my great-grandfather in 1885, the bakery has always been a source of pride for our family. For decades I’ve worked alongside my father, Allyn W. Gibson, known around Oberlin as “Grandpa Gibson.” At 90, he still comes to work nearly every day, where I’m joined by my son, and my 11-year-old grandson on the weekends.

The bakery has long been a popular stop among students, residents and returning alumni. Our family and business’ reputation was a source of pride for generations. But all that changed in 2016, when protesters drew national attention to our store in Oberlin.

False charges in the court of public opinion

On Nov. 9, 2016, a student attempted to shoplift two bottles of wine from our store. Unfortunately, theft is all too common at Gibson’s Bakery. Like many small businesses in Oberlin, our employees have caught plenty of shoplifters over the years — many of them students.

Police arrested the student. But the next day, hundreds of people gathered in protest. From bullhorns they called for a boycott. The sidewalk and park across the street from our store were filled with protesters holding signs labeling us racists and white supremacists. The arrest, they said, was the result of racial profiling. The narrative was set and there was no combating it.

Despite the lack of any evidence, our family was accused of a long history of racism and discrimination. Oberlin College officials ordered the suspension of the more than 100-year business relationship with our bakery, and our customers dwindled. We were officially on trial — not in a courtroom, but in the court of public opinion. And we were losing.

As time went on, the truth began to emerge. The shoplifter confessed to his crime and said the arrest wasn’t racially motivated. But Oberlin College refused to help set the record straight by issuing a public statement that our family is not racist and does not have a history of racial profiling or discrimination.

The damage had been done. And the truth seemed irrelevant. In a small city like Oberlin, having the largest business and employer against you is more than enough to seal your fate.

Running out of options, we decided to pursue a lawsuit against Oberlin College. Two regional law firms agreed to take our case.

Setting the record straight before it's too late

The jury heard evidence of college officials passing out flyers, speaking on a bullhorn, actively supporting the students during the protests, and helping to promote the demonstrations by using college funds to purchase food and gloves for protesters.

As the extended legal battle dragged on, many asked why I didn’t just quit. Wouldn’t it be easier to close up shop and move on?

What few understand is that this situation not only affected our business; it also touched every aspect of our lives.

In the end, the words of my father inspired me to continue the fight. He said, “In my life, I’ve done everything I could to treat all people with dignity and respect. And now, nearing the end of my life, I’m going to die being labeled as a racist.”

There wasn’t enough time, he feared, to set the record straight. His legacy had been tarnished and he felt powerless to stop it. I had to see this case through.

This experience has taught me that reputations are a fragile thing. They take a lifetime to build but only moments to destroy.

Ultimately, the jury sent a clear message in our case — that truth still matters. They awarded us $33 million in punitive damages and $11 million in compensatory damages for libel, tortious interference with business relationships and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

It’s my hope that the jury’s verdict against Oberlin College is a wake-up call. In an age where social media can spread lies at an alarming rate, what happened to Gibson’s Bakery could happen to anyone.

In the wake of the verdict, we’ve gone back to work — on our business and on rebuilding our family’s damaged reputation. Grandpa Gibson has resumed his favorite spot at a patio table outside our bakery. Before the protests, his time there was filled by conversations with passersby. But now, he often sits alone.

Our name has been cleared in a court of law. But rebuilding our reputation in the court of opinion will take time.

David Gibson co-owner of Gibson’s Bakery in Oberlin, Ohio.

Posts: 13926 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Watch this bitch lie her ass off on national TV. These people have no shame. (Also, check out the comments.)

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/vV_yzL-S1ms

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 14433 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Watch this bitch lie her ass off on national TV. These people have no shame. (Also, check out the comments.)

Dang, 65 comments so far and EVERY SINGLE ONE slams the college.

Posts: 13926 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
It's funny: colleges and universities across the country have been trampling the First Amendment. Shouting down conservative speakers, preventing them from speaking. Setting up (remote) "free speech zones" where someone can say whatever he or she wants-- because they CAN'T do that in the rest of the campus. Using this abominable invention "hate speech" like a hammer to smash free speech. But suddenly, Oberlin is devoted, fervently dedicated, to protecting First Amendment rights. Big Grin

I didn't read the comments, but Ambar's bullshit will attract plenty of flies, but not one intelligent person.

Posts: 10794 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Oberlin College has been ordered to post a $36 M bond as they seek to delay paying Gibson's Bakery. Meanwhile, interest on the $36,000,000 judgment against Oberlin continues to mount up. As well as their mounting legal costs as they fight this case every step of the way.

Good for them. If they do get an appeal, they will lose the appeal, by which time they will have added millions to their total costs. Big Grin

http://www.chroniclet.com/cops...son-39-s-Bakery.html

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Maybe have to change the name to Gibson College before it's over. Big Grin

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others. The same thing happens when you're stupid.

Posts: 3587 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Minimize, deflect, sweep it under the rug....

These colleges are quick to pat themselves on the back and take credit when it results in their minions, err students, achieving their aims. But whoa! when issues like libel judgements are rendered against them due to actions they encourage, they're quick to explain and water-down the result while distancing themselves from the bad actors. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9236 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be neat to have verdict supported by court on review and oberlin has to pay up. Then Gibson’s fund a Baking Program at the college in the new Gibson Building.

Posts: 1550 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
here's an idea

part of the settlement could be waived by Gibson's if every admin and staff person that participated was fired, and where necessary charged

if the students that participated were expelled, charged and fined

Participating in a gun buy back program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids

"I'm only myself when I have a guitar in my hands." - George Harrison

Posts: 48493 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post