SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I doubt that Carmen is delusional, but she is trying to manipulate the masses that may be delusional. Crafting that letter is an attempt to:
1. Increase the chances of her keeping her job at Oberlin.
2. Fool some of the masses into continuing to donate.
3. Buy some time, let some of this fade from memory, so she can start a new campaign to donate to save the school, etc.

Oberlin was shut down for a few years, but restarted once their endowment level was increased. If we are lucky, she will suck a few more dollars from the leftist masses, and then close the college for good.

-c1steve

Posts: 2727 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've edited her response to better communicate Oberlin's true message.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Dear Members of the Oberlin Community,

I want to assure you that none of this will sway us from our core values..... which are to spew nonsense, mislead impressionable students, and still beg for donations.

It will not distract, deter, or materially harm our educational mission, for today’s students or for generations to come. ....we already have a lot of money from alumni who still believe in our whacked-out message.

We are disappointed in the jury’s decisions and the fragmentary and sometimes distorted public discussion of this case. ...we aren't big fans of fact. We like to rule with our feelings.

Long after this lawsuit has receded from memory, ...we hope you'll forget the $40M in damages and will donate once again to our cause.

Sincerely,

Carmen [/url]

P229

Posts: 2828 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colleges have terminated Presidents for lots of reasons. The biggest reason has to do with revenue generation. I predict that her tenure at Oberlin will be short lived. Has there been a polling of alumni on these issues? There are plenty of folks still alive that attended Oberlin in the 1950s.

Posts: 6392 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
So let me see if I've been keeping up"

* 'Students' at Oberlin go into a family run bakery and store and try to boost some alcohol,
* Owner/operator catches them
* Said 'students* commence to beat the crap out of him, three males, one pummeling the grounded baker, now the camp followers chip in and start kicking
* 'Students' are arrested
*Oberlin college 'community' kicks into high gear and full bray, demonstrates, cancels food contracts, demonstrates, vandalizes, demonizes, demonstrates and much of this was facilitated by an officer of the college who actually physically participated and encouraged in writing.
* Baker sues, no settlement to be reached goes to court, wins—$11,000,000.00, thank you very much. College whines and vilifies the jury. followed by $22,000,000.00 more dollars in punitive award plus attorney's fees and now the president writes yet another thoughtful screed to her woke audience that all is not as it seems and everthin gonna be awright. That about it?

Posts: 5569 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
posted Hide Post
Paging Dr. Ambar, Dr. Ambar you are wanted in rocket Surgery, paging Dr. Ambar

Posts: 5569 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
We will take the time we need to thoughtfully consider the course that is in Oberlin’s best interests.

That ship not only sailed, its over the horizon.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Great news!
Of course I see that Oberlin plans to appeal - but to do that, don't they have to have a bond that will cover potential costs if they lose? Like a $70 millon bond? If so, maybe the trustee's will not want to appeal?

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3084 | Location: Kansas | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I think "Maniac Blame Twirler" is great! Big Grin

Her letter is a desperate attempt to find some solid footing as she prepares to meet with the Trustees. Her letter says, "Gee, I know it looks like we really screwed the pooch... jumped the shark...as they say... heh heh... but it's not really half as bad as it looks, really. Really."

If the trustees are any good at all-- and boards vary widely-- they will issue her walking papers and announce a presidential search immediately. Oh, and look for a new Dean of Students while they are at it. And probably a dozen more heads in the administration should roll. They need to hit the reset button, and let everyone know they are doing it.

In all the details of this whole affair, what stands out to me is this: Oberlin canceled its contract to purchase bagels and donuts for its cafeteria from Gibson's, which, no doubt, was the bakery's biggest money-making order, as it was year round, seven days a week. Oberlin began systematic harassment at the bakery itself, led at times by the Dean of Students holding a bullhorn. This destroyed the "in the front door" business.

In short: Oberlin tried to not merely punish, but to crush Gibson's. And they were succeeding. The bakery's cash flow was choked off.

Oberlin counted on them just folding at that point. I mean-- they were beaten. But Gibson's did an amazing thing, taking Oberlin completely by surprise. They fought back!

Eek

Like Rocky I. Nobodies, against all the odds, took on the champ. Except the ending was even better: They put Oberlin down for an eight count, and when Oberlin got back to its feet, Gibson's fucking KO'd them! $11 million, + $22 million + $ ? millions more.... More than $40 million!!

For those of you old enough to remember Yakov Smirnoff, "What a country!" Big Grin Big Grin

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 10841 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ha ha

Bill Maher scolds 'social justice warriors' over Oberlin lawsuit: 'There's a price to pay'
quote:
"I'm tired of the term 'political correctness'," Sykes said later. "It's like 'performative wokeness.' In our mono-culture, we have to find a way to humiliate, to drive people out that we disagree with, and I will tell you that there's a huge backlash. ... The folks on the right were bailing on liberalism. ... They're basically saying that, 'The Left wants to destroy you, they hate you, they want to take away your rights, they want to destroy your business.' Unfortunately, you have anecdotes like this that make it that plausible."
Oh, I just love that remark- "Unfortunately, you have anecdotes like this that make it that plausible."

Translation- "Unfortunately for the left, there's undeniable evidence of their asshattery."

Posts: 88101 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Here's the Oberlin PD body cam video. Un-fucking-believable. Mad

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/M7n8f8sLTDE

I called them and quickly congratulated them. I also ordered a t-shirt. Don't need no candy or baked goods. (I'm already too short for my weight.) Gibson's Bakery and Candy

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 14496 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
During the "Real Time" panel segment, New York Times columnist Bari Weiss stressed that social media comments on Twitter and other platforms can cause "reputational damage."

She should know, after her disastrous interview with Joe Rogan, exposing herself as the extremist, wack-job that she is.

Posts: 9342 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The corruption of US colleges and universities just keeps on being exposed. It started with the parents of the rich bribing school officials to fake athletic records and academic records such as the SAT in order to gain admission for their kids. Then Oberlin was exposed for the leftist tyrants that they are, costing them more than $40 million. Now this: Colleges and universities accepting massive amounts of unreported foreign cash, mostly to propagandize for the contributors from the Middle East and China. This is a big story. American institutions of higher learning accepting-- let's face it-- bribes to propagandize on behalf of dictatorships and totalitarians around the world.

One sample tidbit from the article: "Georgetown received the Arab money at the same time that it was tasked by the U.S. government with shaping how K-12 textbooks treated the Arab world. In fact, an analysis by TheDCNF found that 12 of the 16 schools empowered to shape understanding of the Middle East in this way received money from Muslim nations." Mad

FOREIGN MEDDLING: Department Of Education Going After Elite Colleges For Allegedly Taking And Hiding Foreign Cash

10:04 AM 06/15/2019 | Investigative Group
The Department of Education has launched an investigation into foreign cash secretly flowing into U.S. universities and sent letters to Georgetown University and Texas A&M Thursday.
A Senate report found that 70 percent of colleges that took money from a Chinese propaganda program broke the law by not disclosing it.
Almost all of the colleges contracted to shape U.S. textbooks on the Middle East received massive funding from countries in the region.
The Department of Education is going after U.S universities over supposed ties to foreign governments, after some allegedly took huge quantities of foreign cash and hid it from regulators.

At the top of the list are Georgetown University and Texas A&M, which have taken hundreds of millions of dollars from the government of Qatar, a middle eastern nation with suspected links to international terrorism.

Both schools received letters from the Department of Education Thursday saying they should have disclosed that funding but their filings “may not fully capture” the activity, the Associated Press reported. The letter warned that they could be referred to the attorney general to “compel compliance.”

Georgetown was also asked about possible ties to Russian cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Lab, as well as Saudi Arabian money. Both schools were ordered to disclose funding from Huawei and ZTE, Chinese firms suspected of spying.

Top Foreign Funders of U.S. Universities, 2011-2016 (Source: Department of Education)

Country Amount
Qatar $1,024,065,043
England $761,586,394
Saudi Arabia $613,608,797
China $426,526,085
Canada $402,535,603
Hong Kong $394,446,859
China

In February, a Senate investigative subcommittee released a bipartisan, 100-page report that found that not only had China been pouring money into the U.S. for a program linked to propaganda efforts, a huge percentage of U.S. colleges had violated the law by hiding the money.

“Since 2006, the Subcommittee determined China directly provided over $158 million in funding to U.S. schools for Confucius Institutes,” the report said. “The Department of Education requires all post-secondary schools to report foreign gifts of $250,000 or more from a single source within a calendar year of receiving them. Despite that legal requirement, nearly 70 percent of U.S. schools that received more than $250,000 from Hanban failed to properly report that amount,” it continued.

Yet the Department of Justice told Senate investigators it had no indication that the Department of Education has ever tried to take U.S. colleges to court for allegedly violating the law.

So-called “Confucius Classrooms” funded by China have grown rapidly even though they were touted as a weapon by China’s former minister of propaganda. Teachers also committed rampant visa fraud, and China blocked the U.S. from creating a reciprocal program in that country, the report said.

During a 2018 congressional hearing on China’s activities in U.S. universities, FBI Director Christopher Wray said “I think the level of naïveté on the part of the academic sector about this creates its own issues.”

In March, security experts said that Chinese hackers had infiltrated a web of U.S. universities and stolen military research from them. “They are a full-fledged operation,” an expert told the Wall Street Journal. “And they are not going anywhere.”

Georgetown is cooperating with the investigation and “takes seriously its reporting obligations and provides all information as required by the Department of Education every six months,” the school told the Associated Press.

The Daily Caller News Foundation asked the school for information about its foreign funding and how it might give other countries influence over the curriculum several times in recent months, but the school refused to answer.

In Texas, even though information about donors to the public university is supposed to be public, when a lawyer filed a Freedom of Information Act request, Texas A&M refused to turn over the records. Instead, the school alerted Qatar, which hired a politically-connected law firm that took legal action to tie up the request, documents reviewed by the Daily Caller News Foundation show.

Georgetown has received nearly $333 million from Qatar since 2011.

For a nation seeking sway over the U.S., Georgetown University would be a particularly tactical site of influence. The D.C. university, located near the State Department, trains many of the United States’ future diplomats at its Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS).

Its website notes that “At SFS, you can study with former Secretaries of State” and access “connections to diplomats from just about every country, and of course, the seat of the U.S. government. Our location gives SFS the extraordinary opportunity for us to engage (and sometimes even influence) the debates that lead to real action.”

Saudi Arabia

The Department of Education’s letters are part of a broader forthcoming inquiry that will put numerous universities in the crosshairs for their ties to multiple foreign powers. One mentioned in the letter to Georgetown is Saudi Arabia.

A Saudi royal gave Georgetown $20 million to set up the Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding, which has appropriated social-justice language to push a Saudi-centric agenda to students. (RELATED: Before Killing of Writer, Elite U.S. Universities Took $600M From Saudi Arabia)

CMCU’s website says it “reframes ‘Islamophobia’ as ‘anti-Muslim racism'” sharing an enemy in “white supremacy” with other U.S. minority groups. It talks about “resisting anti-Muslim racism” using “hip hop.”

Georgetown received the Arab money at the same time that it was tasked by the U.S. government with shaping how K-12 textbooks treated the Arab world. In fact, an analysis by TheDCNF found that 12 of the 16 schools empowered to shape understanding of the Middle East in this way received money from Muslim nations.

In each case, the foreign money dwarfed the amount of the U.S. contract. The contracts are part of a Cold War-era program called Title VI that pays colleges to help students better understand international relations. It was originally intended to help prepare a cadre of intelligence agents and diplomats.

In 2008, a congressman asked Georgetown if it had ever written any reports critical of Saudi Arabia since receiving the funds. Georgetown did not answer the question in a statement quoted by The Washington Post in an article on the Virginia Republican’s letter.

Jonathan AC Brown, who serves as director of the CMCU, has defended slavery because the prophet Muhammad had slaves, and his father-in-law was convicted of providing material support to terrorists. On his Twitter feed, Brown has espoused radical political positions and has said Muslims who alert the FBI about other Muslims should be ostracized.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/0...sities-foreign-cash/

Posts: 10841 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'm doin' a good ole Muttley laugh right now.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 18305 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of alinc100
posted Hide Post
After watching the bodycam video I'd like to see the 4 SJWs that wrote their statements to spend a night or two in jail for a false police report. They might get "woke" like the girl at UNC with the sign. Since everyone was interviewed separately for the most part and the SJWs sat and filled out their statements together I'm guessing the investigation didn't allow them to be considered very credible. I'd also love to see the conversation with the Dean that began just as the video ended.

I'd rather be armed and unharmed than unarmed and harmed.

Posts: 537 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: April 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alinc100:
After watching the bodycam video ...I'd also love to see the conversation with the Dean that began just as the video ended.

No kidding. These people don't seem to be able to keep from stepping in it and tracking it in on the rug. A shoplifting charge turned into $40,000,000 judgement and an as yet uncountable loss in good-will and confidence, not just from the town community but from donors, prospective students and their parents, grant funders and the .gov money train that is no doubt weighing their financial responses. A shoplifting charge and then there is this Oberlin Colleges culture of theft. from American Thinker. Is it even possible the boss-dogs at this intellectual dump can survive professionally?

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ Very revealing. Of those arrested for shoplifting in Oberlin (about 40 cases), 82.5% were Oberlin College students! Eek

They are all about social justice, right? But these SJWs who pay $70K a year to Oberlin College were shoplifting from townies whose average annual income is $55 K per year. The rich stealing from the comparatively poor while puffed up as champions of social justice.

Oberlin College. What a cesspool.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alinc100:
After watching the bodycam video I'd like to see the 4 SJWs that wrote their statements to spend a night or two in jail for a false police report. They might get "woke" like the girl at UNC with the sign. Since everyone was interviewed separately for the most part and the SJWs sat and filled out their statements together I'm guessing the investigation didn't allow them to be considered very credible. I'd also love to see the conversation with the Dean that began just as the video ended.

I watched the video as well and was flabbergasted by the non-witnesses who were adamant that the perps were in fact the victims. How can you be so blind and self righteous? I hope Gibson receives every single penny.

P229

Posts: 2828 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
That body-cam video gave me a headache, "Officer officer, I saw everything! I want to make a statement!"

Yeah, whatever!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 4029 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legal Insurrection tweeted excerpts from the trial this weekend. Interesting/Sad

Legal Insurrection Oberlin Trial Excerpts

Posts: 310 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The MSM of course ignored the story. Legal Insurrection did great work, almost alone.