SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful thing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.

Posts: 22854 | Location: Ski Town, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
....the country agrees that what happened to the Gibsons should not happen to anyone, but could happen to everyone.”

I can't think of a better single sentence that really goes right to the heart of it all. The lawyer for Gibson's Bakery got it just right.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 10900 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:
....the country agrees that what happened to the Gibsons should not happen to anyone, but could happen to everyone.”

I can't think of a better single sentence that really goes right to the heart of it all. The lawyer for Gibson's Bakery got it just right.

Yes, but you know what the result will be, don't you? Just like the bully that gets his ass kicked in public goes home to beat his wife instead, the leftists will turn up the heat and vent their anger on the conservative students, organizations, faculty, and staff that have little recourse against them.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
quote:

Yes, but you know what the result will be, don't you? Just like the bully that gets his ass kicked in public goes home to beat his wife instead, the leftists will turn up the heat and vent their anger on the conservative students, organizations, faculty, and staff that have little recourse against them.

Yes, it would have been so much better if they lost the case. Roll Eyes Love defeatism. LMFAO.

Who gives a fuck if they 'ramp up the heat'? They have fair fucking warning that some college got it's ass kicked in court and maybe, just maybe, colleges will clamp down on this kind of bullshit.

Posts: 43537 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
quote:

Yes, it would have been so much better if they lost the case. Roll Eyes Love defeatism. LMFAO.

That's not what I said, and you know it. If you look above a few posts, I already said the result was awesome.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4628 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's not what I said, and you know it. If you look above a few posts, I already said the result was awesome.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well it appears Reading Comprehension and attention to detail are not his strong suit. LOL

Posts: 6732 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Now that's how you spank a leftist, self righteous and sanctimonious organization. A 22 million dollar kick in the nuts. Big Grin

Jim

A lot more than $22M. It's $33M + Gibson's lawyer fees + their own lawyer fees - I'd say way above $40M.

Posts: 1564 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
And let us not forget, their insurance company, Lexington, has already said that they are not going to pay for this. Dean Meredith Raimondo, who lead the charge to destroy these good people, is fucked. And not in the good way.

The whole administration, from the president down, created this huge, costly, boondoggle, and the Board of Trustees won't like it, and many of the alumni with deep pockets won't like it. What we are looking at in the recent verdicts is their immediate pain. But there is a lot more to come for a long time.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 10900 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
If you changed the names and places, this whole thing sounds eerily like the Brown Shirts outside Jewish-owned businesses in Berlin, circa 1937. Handbills, loudspeakers, threats, calls for boycotts.

Has anybody notified the SPLC yet about this new "hate group?"

Posts: 1703 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
And let us not forget, their insurance company, Lexington, has already said that they are not going to pay for this. Dean Meredith Raimondo, who lead the charge to destroy these good people, is fucked. And not in the good way.

The whole administration, from the president down, created this huge, costly, boondoggle, and the Board of Trustees won't like it, and many of the alumni with deep pockets won't like it. What we are looking at in the recent verdicts is their immediate pain. But there is a lot more to come for a long time.
Personally, I wish the jury would come back with their verdict as follows...."We find for the plaintiff and order a financial audit be performed to determine the gross financial value of Oberlin College. That gross value will then become the financial award to the plaintiff." Put the college out of business once and for all.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 28854 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of alinc100
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the poster that provided the update.i was just coming to do so when I read the good news.

I'd rather be armed and unharmed than unarmed and harmed.

Posts: 546 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: April 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As satisfying as that would be, it would be illegal. Punitive damages are intended to punish (hence the name) but not destroy. The jury would have heard evidence of the college's financial position to determine what a just amount was unless the college stipulated that an amount up to the legal maximum would not bankrupt them.

I'd love to hear the dean's testimony about the basis for her belief that the store had a long history of racial profiling. I bet it was fun watching her try to explain that.

At the end of the day the community has judged Oberlin and condemned its behavior in the strongest way legally possible. You literally can't do better than that.

Posts: 399 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem.....just raise tuition. Crank up those student loans.

Posts: 495 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This is terrific news!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.

Posts: 16434 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly think other colleges will take notice, and that the pendulum will swing the other way. I have taught at the college and the graduate level, although it has been some time. I lay a good deal of blame here upon the administration and a few faculty for allowing things get to this extreme. I am hopeful for the future.

Posts: 6732 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It looks like these twatwaffles are out over $40,000,000 including the legal fees. Here's a letter just sent by Oberlin's president, Carmen Twillie Ambar (You can google her, but it'll just increase your blood pressure.):

Dear Members of the Oberlin Community,

By now many of you will have heard about the latest development in the Gibson’s Bakery lawsuit, a jury’s declaration of punitive damages against Oberlin. Let me be absolutely clear: This is not the final outcome. This is, in fact, just one step along the way of what may turn out to be a lengthy and complex legal process. I want to assure you that none of this will sway us from our core values. It will not distract, deter, or materially harm our educational mission, for today’s students or for generations to come.

We will take the time we need to thoughtfully consider the course that is in Oberlin’s best interests. I will update the community as we make these decisions. I am confident that when we resolve this matter, it will look substantially different than it looks today.

We are disappointed in the jury’s decisions and the fragmentary and sometimes distorted public discussion of this case. But we respect the integrity of the jury, and we value our relationship with the town and region that are our home. We will learn from this lawsuit as we build a stronger relationship with our neighbors.

This has been a remarkable year for the college and conservatory. There is unprecedented unity around an ambitious new vision for Oberlin. The work of fulfilling that vision is already underway. Long after this lawsuit has receded from memory, that work will shape Oberlin’s future. I appreciate the contributions so many of you have made, your perspective at this important time, and the commitment you have shown to what matters most for Oberlin.

Sincerely,

Carmen Twillie Ambar

Link

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 14596 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That name needs to be run through an anagram generator. Oh, wait, it already has.

Silly, delusional woman. Would you even be able to recognize the Truth if you stumbled across it by accident? Reality. Ever hear of reality, princess? No, huh?

Posts: 88640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That name needs to be run through an anagram generator. Oh, wait, it already has.

Maniac Blame Twirler is the best I came up with.

Second place is Warble Criminal Meat.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 7039 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The future has passed you by, old man. There are numerous anagram generators online that will give you scores of permutations in about half a second.

Posts: 88640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Carmen Twillie Ambar (You can google her, but it'll just increase your blood pressure.)
It's a good thing that Lisinopril is free at Publix.

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 21858 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post