SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Cost of Social Justice at Oberlin College Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 6393 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. I just googled to learn more about Oberlin....had to share this article as more proof of how dumb these kids are...

https://reason.com/2015/12/20/...se-the-cafeteria-of/

Oberlin Students Accuse the Cafeteria of Cultural Appropriation
Inauthentic General Tso's chicken is a hate crime.

ROBBY SOAVE | 12.20.2015 4:05 PM
Large image on homepages
(Dreamstime)
|||
Dreamstime
What's eating students these days? Inauthentic sushi, it seems. Some offended diners at Oberlin College are accusing the dining halls of disrespecting Asian culture by preparing dishes so bad, they practically count as microaggressions.

As I wrote in a recent column for The Daily Beast:

It's one thing to quietly gripe about the quality of dorm food (students have likely been doing that for centuries). It's quite another to accuse the dining room staff of stealing from Asian culture because they didn't prepare the General Tso's chicken with the correct sauce. …

"It was ridiculous," student Diep Nguyen told The Oberlin Review (the "it," in question was a Banh Mi sandwich with the wrong bun). "How could they just throw out something completely different and label it as another country's traditional food?"

For one thing, the Banh Mi sandwich is itself the product of the blurring of cultural boundaries: French and Vietnamese.

For another, there's something deliciously ironic about Oberlin students—some of the most privileged people in the world, as evidenced by the $50,000 they pay annually in tuition—whining about the bun-thickness of meals prepared by lowly paid cafeteria workers. As academic and writer Fredrik de Boer noted on Twitter, "When you're defending the cultural authenticity of GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN, you're a living Portlandia sketch."
But cultural appropriation in the cafeteria isn't the only thing on the minds of Oberln students. Activists recently released a lengthy list of demands—many of them reminiscent of the demands made by students at dozens of other universities. Perhaps most notable: Oberlin students want blacks-only safe spaces and allowance money for black student leaders.

I'm not convinced these things would make Oberlin a more racially-harmonious place, however:

If all of their demands were met, two things would happen. First, since most of the items require separate and distinct services for black students, there would be a lot less racial intermixing. Second, because the cost of hiring all these new employees and providing so many services is prohibitive, tuition would skyrocket. Oberlin would become much less affordable for the very students most dissatisfied with the college; it would also become weirdly segregated.

Read the full thing here.

CAMPUS FREE SPEECH

Posts: 5900 | Location: Philadelphia, Pa | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
So instead of Fight for $15, it's now Fight for Pho Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 3533 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ crybabies

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 10841 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
College students get out of line from time to time. Just look at their behavior at football games and frat parties. The college administration is supposed to keep that stuff in check to some degree while allowing academic freedom. Clearly, something is the matter with the leadership at Oberlin.

Posts: 6393 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Punitive damages will be announced today, this afternoon, most likely. This article contains details I have not read before, and that make the incident even more infuriating. Here is an excerpt:

"As I write these words, a jury in Ohio is about to decide whether an $11 million verdict against Oberlin College, for libel and tortious practices against a local family-run bakery, should be tripled for punitive damages. If it could be tripled and tripled again, it would still be only just.

Many readers will have heard the details of the events, which in quick summary are these: On the day after the election in 2016, an Oberlin College student tried to abscond from Gibson’s Bakery with two bottles of wine. One of the workers at the bakery confronted him, and a scuffle ensued both inside and outside the store, with the worker as the victim on the ground, pummeled by the perpetrator and a male friend of his, and kicked by two women, as some members of the fair sex are wont to do when their persons are not at risk.

Oberlin College then moved into action to squash the business like a bug. The dean of students passed around a flyer charging Gibson’s with a long history of “racial profiling.” She led a massive protest against the bakery, a protest that was cast entirely in the light of the recent election. The school ordered its food supplier to cancel all contracts with them. Gibson’s, which has been a fixture in town for more than 130 years, lost business which they never recovered. Finally, the owners decided to sue the college, when Oberlin refused to retract the charge of racism, and when the school demanded as a kind of blackmail that Gibson’s report all shoplifters first to the school and not to the police. The school would then give the perpetrator a warning, but no suspension. Naughty, naughty!"

https://amgreatness.com/2019/0...berlins-comeuppance/

Posts: 10841 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
An important perspective on the whole thing, the role of Title IX in matters like this.

This is from https://donsurber.blogspot.com...-oberlin-failed.html

Glad to see you've discovered Don Surber's blog. He is a local guy, and his viewpoint on things is spot on, well worth reading on a (almost) daily basis.

Posts: 3014 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I discovered Surber a while ago, and I agree that he is usually spot on. That is definitely the case with his identification of Title IX as a root cause of this kind of travesty.

College teaching used to be a good and honorable profession. I am glad and relieved to have retired at the end of this past academic year. There is so much wrong with higher education in America, I hardly know where to begin. But this case involving Oberlin College is exemplary in many ways.

No matter the outcome of today's decision about punitive damages, there are a few things you can bet on. The administration, most of the faculty, and most of the students will learn nothing at all from this atrocious incident.

They are so convinced of their superiority that it is an assumption, a given, the foundation of their thinking rather than anything ever questioned. Superiors learn nothing from inferiors. Gibson's Bakery and everyone who supports them are benighted, ignorant, and wrong in every possible way because they oppose Oberlin, their masters.

They literally expect to be above the law. One of their demands of the bakery was that any future incidents of shoplifting would be reported to the college, not to the police.

Another sure bet is that they will be more circumspect next time, more careful with their public statements, emails, and pamphlets, but they will go after the next townie that offends them-- and that opposes or challenges them-- like the bullies that they are. Their attack on Gibson's Bakery was not "something that happened," it is who they are.

Maximum punitive would be twice compensatory, or $22 million. I wish there were no limit, and the jury could destroy them financially. Nothing that I have said about them would be any different, but the hundreds of Leftist colleges and universities across the country would sit up and take notice.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Punitive damages will be announced today, this afternoon, most likely. This article contains details I have not read before, and that make the incident even more infuriating. Here is an excerpt:

"As I write these words, a jury in Ohio is about to decide whether an $11 million verdict against Oberlin College, for libel and tortious practices against a local family-run bakery, should be tripled for punitive damages.

If ever there was an egregious case of libel and slander that deserved punitive damages, Gibson's v. Oberlin College is it. I sincerely hope and pray the jury awards Gibson's at least triple damages.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
The dominant media is no more "mainstream" than leftists are liberals.

Posts: 16254 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Things are moving a bit slower than anticipated, so an announcement of punitive damages is possible late this afternoon, but more likely tomorrow.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Just in: OBERLIN GOT THE MAX: $22 MILLION IN PUNITIVE DAMAGES! Big Grin Big Grin

With compensatory, the total is $33 million dollars!

I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

The jury awarded $33 million in punitive, but this, by law, will be reduced to the maximum of $22 million.

They also awarded lawyer's fees, which no doubt will be hefty.

In closing argument, Gibson’s lawyer Lee Plakas argued:

“Why is the country watching you. Because the country agrees that what happened to the Gibsons should not happen to anyone, but could happen to everyone.”

” Colleges are watching us and you. Because they all know the way colleges are run will be affected, and by your decisions, they will be”

Plakas ended by reading to the jury the poem “For Whom the Bell Tolls” by John Donne

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend’s were.
Each man’s death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee."

I said, above, "Another sure bet is that they will be more circumspect next time, more careful with their public statements, emails, and pamphlets, but they will go after the next townie that offends them-- and that opposes or challenges them-- like the bullies that they are." But, no, I'm rethinking that. They will want to, they will be sure they would be right to do so, but I've seen it many times: Bully gets ass kicked, doesn't quite bully the same way again. Big Grin

https://legalinsurrection.com/...ry-case/#more-286093

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
WooHoo! That's gonna leave a mark!

I hope that the rest of the SJW left is watching closely.

"We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled." - Kevin D. Williamson, 2012

"All the citizens of this land are of right freemen; they owe no allegiance to any class and should recognize no task-masters. Under the chart of their liberties, under the law of high heaven, they are free and without shackles on their limbs nor mortgages upon the fruits of their brain or muscles; they bow down before no prince, potentate, or sovereign, nor kiss the royal robes of any crowned head; they render homage only to their God and should pay tribute only to their Government. Such at least is the spirit of our institutions, the character of our written national compact."

Charles Triplett O’Ferrall of Virginia - In Congress, May 1, 1888

Posts: 10188 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 14496 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. It should be ten times that, but this'll do.

Posts: 88110 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
awesome news

Participating in a gun buy back program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids

"I'm only myself when I have a guitar in my hands." - George Harrison

Posts: 48551 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
This is Dean Meredith Raimondo, who showed up at demonstrations in front of the bakery holding a bullhorn and passing out pamphlets saying Gibson's Bakery was racist.

Not so full of bluster today, eh, Meredith?

posted Hide Post
That stupid dean of students just cost her employer probably around $40 millions LOL

Nice hire Oberlin!

Posts: 1551 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just in: OBERLIN GOT THE MAX: $22 MILLION IN PUNITIVE DAMAGES! Big Grin Big Grin

With compensatory, the total is $33 million dollars!

Awesome!

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4614 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That's great news!!

Posts: 8279 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Now that's how you spank a leftist, self righteous and sanctimonious organization. A 22 million dollar kick in the nuts. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 8004 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post