SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pretty Dang Nervous Today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pretty Dang Nervous Today Login/Join 
posted
The wife and grand kids (son is still here) are in Hawaii so no one to talk to. I get cataract surgery tomorrow. I think I'll intrude on my son today. All this has me a little bit on edge.

That is all.

Posts: 7547 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Understand your nervousness!!

BTDT!!

No problem in this day and age of technology.

I have had both lenses replaced, due to cataracts. Corneal transplants on both eyes to solve a heredity issue.

I am sure everything will turn out quite well for you.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Facing surgery alone? Hang tough, brother. Can't do much from here other than keep you in thoughts and prayers.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Facing surgery alone? Hang tough, brother. Can't do much from here other than keep you in thoughts and prayers.

My son is here. The wife planned her trip with the grand kids six months ago. I know she is with me in spirit. I am not alone, just nervous... thank God for family.

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
My mom had cataract surgery last week. It was over likety split and no problems. I'm sure it will be the same for you.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Offering up a prayer in your direction now Bytes..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It should no longer be called surgery, since the word conjures up images of anesthesia mask and masked doctors looming with large scalpels.

Put you mind at ease. For many years now, having a cataract removed and replaced with an IOL has been outpatient surgery.

You'll go in in the morning. They'll give you valium or something else to relax you. You will not be under general anesthesia. They will give you a local anesthetic. You will be awake during the procedure, listening to the conversation of the surgeon and the OR staff, accompanied by whatever musical selection they've chosen. It will be a relaxed atmosphere and you will feel no pain, no discomfort of any kind.

Afterwards, since you've been fasting before surgery, they will give you juice and cookies while you're in post-op. They'll keep you a bit to observe that you're fine, then you're done but for your checkups of one day, one week, one month, six months, then done.

In before breakfast, out before lunch. You will be fine.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

My son is here. The wife planned her trip with the grand kids six months ago. I know she is with me in spirit. I am not alone, just nervous... thank God for family.

Oh good. I'm sure all will go fine. I understand your nervousness though. While the doc and staff are experienced, this is new to you. As patients we have to trust all will go well. That's tough to do sometimes. On a lighter note, if he breaks out a dremel, RUN! Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para. Logic, facts, and rationality are pretty darn good medicine.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you! I have known several that have had the same procedure that went through it with no issues and were all amazed at the results!

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
My wife had cataract surgery on her right eye two weeks ago. She had the left eye done last Tuesday. I had her in there by 6:30 am and home by 8:00 am. In both cases, it was quick, relatively painless and she can see great now.
Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you have some to drive you there and back.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had mine done a few months ago, this past October.

The "upgrade" option would have been a laser procedure, but I was not going to fork over almost another five thousand, so I stuck with the "basic" procedure, done with a small scalpel incision, totally covered by Medicare except for a couple of $45 charges.

I declined the Valium that was offered, as I don't do well with that sort of drug. The only medication was the eye drops to numb the nerves.

I was very anxious during the prep / waiting period and even during the procedure. My blood pressure hit 207 / 85 due to the anxiety, and of course it turned out that I was way overdoing the fear thing.

The actual surgery lasted less than ten minutes in the OR. There was no pain whatsoever. None at all. I did feel quite a bit of pushing, tugging type pressure, but the physical discomfort was very, very, minor. The big thing was my fear and anxiety, all of it really unnecessary.

Two weeks later I went back for the second eye. Knowing what to expect, my BP was nowhere near as high as the first one. I brought a couple of small rubber toy footballs that I kept in my hands and when I started to get nervous in the OR, I just kept squeezing them.

There was no discomfort, none at all, after leaving the OR. I get a $45 bottle of eyedrops from the clinic along with a schedule for using them -- three times a day for the first week, then twice a day for the second week, then one drop a day for the third and final week. They also gave me a plastic shield, sort of a pirate eye patch thing, to wear at night so I wouldn't rub my eye while sleeping.

Recovery was amazing. With the lens implant, distant vision became great. I still need glasses for desk work, but I can drive and fly without them. I had not realized how much I had lost because the loss was very gradual, over a period of years, but the next morning I was astounded by how bright and vivid things were. Whites are really white now, without the yellowish gray tinge that I never really noticed, and colors are bright.

Huge improvement the next day, and then more, day by day, slowly. Vision seemed to settle down and stabilize in about six weeks or so; I had my final post-op exam and got prescription for new glasses, with the correction mostly at desk work and reading distances. Distant correction is so minor that I have no problem doing without it if I walk around, drive, or fly without glasses or with nonprescription sunglasses.

Yeah, you're nervous now, but really there is nothing to worry about.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My buddy had it done a few weeks ago he said it was so easy, no pain, in, out and back to his daily living. he said he was worried at first but laughed it off later.

Posts: 5589 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you V-Tail!

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My eyes were done on 1 and 15 August last year. No problems at all and no pain. Worst part is having to do all those drops for weeks prior to the operation. After the procedure is done you'll wear a mask over the eye for (usually) 1 day--that is to keep you from involuntarily rubbing the eye while it heals. I think you will be very satisfied with the results.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Worst part is having to do all those drops for weeks prior to the operation.
??? I had no prep other than the numbing drops immediately prior to the procedure. The only other drops I had were after -- combination steroids and anti-bacteria.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'll go in in the morning. They'll give you valium or something else to relax you. You will not be under general anesthesia. They will give you a local anesthetic. You will be awake during the procedure, listening to the conversation of the surgeon and the OR staff, accompanied by whatever musical selection they've chosen. It will be a relaxed atmosphere and you will feel no pain, no discomfort of any kind.

My wife has had both eyes done. Absolutly no problems. I'm about due to have an eye done. It will be the same clinic. Years ago I has lasik with them. Had to have a valium. I know how nervous I can get and why try to tough it out for no reason?
The chatter that Para mention was a hoot. The staff were a bunch of cheerleaders complimenting the doctor on his cuts and me for holding on. Not something I'd do again but well worth the results.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am sure you will be fine. Greatest thing I ever did.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I understand. I have a pretty strong phobia with anything that gets too close to my eyes. Only thing I can think of that might have caused that is lots of time walking through the woods and jungle in the dark , without eye protection or night vision as Infantryman while in the Army. Constantly got poked in the eyes by branches and such. I think they'd have to loop me out really well. I'd just tell the Dr and let them make you really comfortable. Watched my dad go through it (I watched through a observation window and on a big tv screen). Looked really quick and easy.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
My mom had cataract surgery a few months ago. Everything went fine and she had a scar on one eye from her childhood that required laser surgery to clean it up before the cataract surgery. She's worn glasses her entire life and doesn't need them now.

Your going to be fine and happy to see so good when it's all done.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post