SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brake problems with 04 Ram 2500
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake problems with 04 Ram 2500 Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
Just last weekend I replaced my right front caliper because it was sticking. I sent the rotor out to be cut and bled the system after reassembly. By the time I got home yesterday afternoon once again the caliper was sticking and the brakes were smoking. Before I pull it all apart again do you think replacing the rubber brake line would be a help? The truck has 240k and that brake line might be the original, I don’t remember. Thanks.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Yes, the hose very well may be collapsed internally. This will allow pressure to be pushed through the collapse, but the collapse will keep the brake fluid from returning. Make sure that the caliper pins are properly lubed.

If you do decide to replace the hose, replace both sides.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This has internally collapsed brake hose written all over it. If your caliper binds and does not release when you crack the bleeder, it's the caliper. If it does release when you crack the bleeder, pressure is being held on it. Apply your brakes and get the caliper to stick again, then crack the line at the other end of the hose. If it does not release, your hose is bad; if it does, the problem is further upstream. (This rarely happens, but it might if, for example, the brake fluid has been contaminated with oil and the master cylinder seals swell up.)

When I see this, if I have any doubts about either, I recommend the caliper and hose together. Hopefully the fitting on the steel line isn't frozen. It has got to be able to rotate or you'll just break the line off.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, Ill pick up a new hose on thr way home today. The drivers side was done last year, so its just this one. Egregore, frozen line may very well be a problem. I have flare wrenches, and Ill soak with Liquid Wrench, but any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I agree, sure sounds like a collapsed line. That's a big job for both sides. I'd farm it out, but that is just me. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aside from the hose or pins it can also be a bad master cylinder, but generally that would effect both front brakes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It has been two weeks now. Is it fixed?

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post