SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's still leaving home to work every day?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's still leaving home to work every day? Login/Join 
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted
I am one.

The company I've been working at for almost two years now produces a large quantity of items for military and LE, along with substantial civilian orders, too.

My favorite part of continuing to head into work every day now is the drive. Drastically reduced traffic on the roads and highways, no active school zones and it seems like those of us still out there on the roads are driving faster.

Who else here is still driving into work each day?

What are you seeing/experiencing? About the same?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Me too, my drive has gone from 45 minutes to about 20, enjoying it very much.

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We were, but they issued a work-from-home order at the office for anyone that wasn't required for hands-on in the office.

Trucked home a home office setup & will be remote at minimum through next Friday.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I come to work everyday except weekends. I have seen some drop in commuters but not much. Even mid-day, it doesn't seem to me that there is that much less traffic on the roads.

I am LEO but now I am admin and drive a desk for the most part. I still drive a marked unit and can go work the road at a moments notice. They haven't needed me yet. Actually, its been eerily quiet the last couple of weeks...

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. I work for a battery manufacturer that has been deemed "essential". My commute time has remained at 10 minutes each way, every day.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would as I prefer home for family and work for working, but they put the lock down at work, no one in the office unless President approves that person.

The couple of day I did go in for home monitor and keyboard was such an easy commute.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm still going to the office every day. I wish I could stay at home with pay like most but somebody has to keep the lights on.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Every day, no. When I am trips, I am just gone. But I am working, as are pretty much all of aviationists on the board.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still going to work everyday (M-F) but I'm slow.
A week ago, I had 40 employees and now I have 9 working. Had to lay off quite a few and also get rid of 2nd shift.
Still hanging in there but the closing of NYC has hurt me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
We are an "essential" business, so I'm still going in. I do a lot of my work from home, but prefer to be at the office for the most part.

At the moment business is great, but that's from stuff "in the pipeline." It will likely get ugly if things don't return to normal for a long time.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Guard still had us come in for a week long drill a few weeks ago and I am sure we will be going in for April's drill. No word on activation yet. God forbid they cancel any training sorties during this pandemic.

I have been making a few trips during the week here and there, and the reduced traffic is great!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Some of our largest clients are hospital systems in and around the metro Atlanta area. Naturally our services would be considered essential. We're busier now than we've ever been...Although, for now, we think we have our schedule and resources reallocated to adequately provide those services; we're expecting another wave of infections in another week or two with the pandemic not peaking until the end of April anyway.

Although nobody likes quarantine, it's the single best precaution you can take to keep you and your family safe through this.

Find ways to work from home. If you can't do that, use this time to train or study; there are lots of resources online. Same for the kids. Because, you can only binge what so many episodes of Netflix before y'all all go stir crazy.

Keep safe my friends.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I'm a trauma/ED nurse, so I'm considered essential. Grateful that I have a job, gotta' admit feel a little trepidation each night on the drive in.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
We're manufacturing, & deemed essential. We make gas chromatographs. We're a little slower than normal, but thankfully the owner has always been good about digging into his own pocket to keep things running.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was, but starting today working from home till whenever. I am in the IT Field. I am the last in the company that was in the office. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes- Hardware Technician deemed "Essential Personnel" so I have to be onsite.

I can now do the speed limit both ways. The 18 mile drive home used to be 1 hour or more. It's now 30 minutes door to door.

A campus that would normally have maybe 40,000 people is deserted. Last time in I saw maybe 12 people on campus. Any other time this would be paradise.

While I’m glad to get out and be working it’s stressful since not everyone is embracing the Social Distancing. I put a 11x17 sign on the Lab Door- "2 Meters Distance Determines Our Existence" and used painters tape on the floor to make a 6 foot line to show people what I expect as a minimum.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still getting up and going into work. We just had our mandatory shelter in place order(until 4/9) for our county/city. We're an energy related manufacturer, so "essential", everybody gets a letter so stating.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I do.

Run a life sciences research products and services company. Technically CISA "essential" but while not directly COVID-19 critical, we are still making products and fulfilling orders to researchers.

Also, I worked from home for 12 years and I prefer the regimen and social aspect of working at the office. And its super quiet.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I am still commuting daily from the suburbs to the PHL Navy Yard. I am being spoiled by the reduced traffic. It normally takes over an hour but now I usually make it in 30 to 35 minutes.

I work in a Pharmaceutical manufacturing industry, where I have to be onsite to troubleshoot assays, review documents, and provide scientific oversight. Our products are going directly to patients in many cases, so we are essential.

Mike (Molecular Biologist / Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My employer has us working from home.

My wife can't do that (retail) and she goes to work every day.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post