SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for purchase of Microsoft Office
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for purchase of Microsoft Office Login/Join 
Member!
posted Hide Post
If your workplace uses office, there's a good chance the licensing allows you to install it on your home PC's too. For example at my work, The company pays for MSoffice to be for all users. Included on that license is the fact that each user gets 5 installs per user. So it's automatically installed on the company PC's, but by logging into the MSOffice portal on microsoft.com, I can install it for free on my home PC too and as long as my company account exists, my home install is legal too.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've been using Office programs since the Windows 3.1 days (several decades for any youngsters) and found this last one very troublesome. They have been getting worse with age.
If I was doing it over, I'd look into other options and exhaust those first. You won't get easy compatibility with older versions and documents if my experience is any guide.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought MS Office Professional several times on Ebay where the price you pay is for a product key. You go to the Microsoft website and download MS Office. Proceed with the installation and it will come to the part where it asks for the product key. You enter the code you bought on Ebay and that's it. Very easy and very inexpensive for MS Office 2016. We're talking under $10 for the product key.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I have bought MS Office Professional several times on Ebay where the price you pay is for a product key. You go to the Microsoft website and download MS Office. Proceed with the installation and it will come to the part where it asks for the product key. You enter the code you bought on Ebay and that's it. Very easy and very inexpensive for MS Office 2016. We're talking under $10 for the product key.

It's not legit.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Add my voice to the LibreOffice choir. I first started using it instead of slideshow for chord charts & lyrics. I've since changed over completely when my free subscription of Office from a new machine ran out.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

It's not legit.
Can you elaborate on this? I actually did something similar with a PC I built for a friend on a budget (I did pay more than $10 for the key though, it was not bought on Ebay, and it was for the Windows 10 operating system not Office), and didn't encounter any issues with it. I also didn't think I was breaking any rules/laws by doing it this way based upon what I'd read online about purchasing these keys.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

It you’re a veteran you can buy the license at the online exchange for $69. I bought it on sale there for $29 a while back.
Tell me about the online exchange, please. If you do not want to publish the information here, my email address is in my profile.

Veterans can buy from the online exchange, purchases are tax free. Some prices are good, some so so. They do run good sales. You can register here:
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It you’re a veteran you can buy the license at the online exchange for $69. I bought it on sale there for $29 a while back.
Tell me about the online exchange, please. If you do not want to publish the information here, my email address is in my profile.

Veterans can buy from the online exchange, purchases are tax free. Some prices are good, some so so. They do run good sales. You can register here:
I looked at that but it appears that my status as a veteran, honorably discharged after one enlistment, does not qualify. Looks like veterans have to be retired, or 100% disabled. Unless I missed something.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at that but it appears that my status as a veteran, honorably discharged after one enlistment, does not qualify. Looks like veterans have to be retired, or 100% disabled. Unless I missed something.

You should be qualified but you may need to provide a copy of your discharge papers if they can't find you in their system.

quote:

The Basics
Who is eligible for this benefit?

Honorably discharged Veterans of all United States Armed Forces, including the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard as well as the Air Force Reserve, Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve and National Guard.
What is the benefit?

Approved Veterans can shop the online exchanges, including ShopMyExchange.com! Shopping with the Exchange online gives you access to exclusive military pricing and offers, tax-free shopping and more. This is a lifelong benefit that will be extended to all who discharge honorably from service.
When did this benefit take effect?

The Department of Defense announced this benefit in January 2017; it became effective on Nov. 11, 2017.
Where can I use this benefit?

Online with any of the military exchanges. This benefit does not grant installation access.
Why have these shopping privileges been extended to Veterans?

To recognize and honor your service, make your life better and improve the overall military community. Expanding online shopping privileges strengthens funding of military Quality-of-Life programs including Army Child Development Centers, Youth Programs and Fitness Centers, Air Force Outdoor Recreation programs, affordable school lunches for Warfighters' children overseas, combat uniforms below cost and more.
How do I know if I'm eligible?

Click here to sign up for an account! Note: You may be asked to submit discharge paperwork for review to verify your eligibility. This can be for several reasons, but most likely, the record we have for you is missing a type of discharge (commonly called "Character of Service" or "Character of Separation"). You will be provided a link to VetVerify.org, a shared service of the four military exchanges, to upload your documentation. This process can take up to three days to complete; you will be notified by the VetVerify customer service team when your documentation has been reviewed.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You qualify but might need to submit your 214. When they first opened up to any Vet I signed up and was instantly granted access. It took longer for some coworkers to get access, I guess it depends on how quickly they can verify your veteran status.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
...it appears that my status as a veteran, honorably discharged after one enlistment, does not qualify. Looks like veterans have to be retired, or 100% disabled. Unless I missed something.
If you are retired, you don't have to have 100 percent disability:

Unlimited Privileges

Active Duty or Reserve Uniformed and Retired Uniformed personnel.

- - -

AUTHORIZED PATRONS = hit the Limited Privileges tab:

Honorably discharged Veterans can shop online at shopmyexchange.com. The Veterans online shopping benefit does not grant on-installation access. For more information about this benefit, please check out our Veterans page.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You qualify but might need to submit your 214. When they first opened up to any Vet I signed up and was instantly granted access. It took longer for some coworkers to get access, I guess it depends on how quickly they can verify your veteran status.
I tried signing up on the site. One of the pieces of ID that they want is a Social Security Number. I believe that the Military now uses 9-digit SSN as an ID number for service members; when I was Navy, back in The Dark Ages, we used 7-digit "Service Numbers." I entered my SSN, the site returned a message stating that it was unable to verify me. Understandable, I think, but I'm not sure how to resolve this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Can you elaborate on this? I actually did something similar with a PC I built for a friend on a budget (I did pay more than $10 for the key though, it was not bought on Ebay, and it was for the Windows 10 operating system not Office), and didn't encounter any issues with it. I also didn't think I was breaking any rules/laws by doing it this way based upon what I'd read online about purchasing these keys.

These usually come from special discounted/free programs Microsoft donates to such as special UN programs, etc. Then these keys got taken and sold by privateers.

While they work, there are at least some ethical issues with it. I'd imagine that if Microsoft gets wind of it, they might disable some keys at a later time, though it might be hard/costly/labor intensive for them to, let's say, determine which keys in a lot given to a UN mission in Angola were used legitimately, and which weren't.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I said in an earlier post, I have bought several keys from Ebay sellers and they all worked exactly as they should. Been using MS Office via these keys for a few years now with absolutely no issues.

If these were not legit I doubt seriously that they would be allowed on Ebay. Microsoft has to be aware that these are being sold on Ebay. Doesn't take any particular effort or intelligence to find out. Been happening for a long time.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I said in an earlier post, I have bought several keys from Ebay sellers and they all worked exactly as they should. Been using MS Office via these keys for a few years now with absolutely no issues.

If these were not legit I doubt seriously that they would be allowed on Ebay. Microsoft has to be aware that these are being sold on Ebay. Doesn't take any particular effort or intelligence to find out. Been happening for a long time.
That's why I asked smschultz above for some additional clarification as I know he's been working in the tech industry for quite some time, while I'm simply a tech enthusiast. Maybe he'll make it back to this thread and offer some additional input.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

That's why I asked smschultz above for some additional clarification as I know he's been working in the tech industry for quite some time, while I'm simply a tech enthusiast. Maybe he'll make it back to this thread and offer some additional input.

Never bought from ebay, but I've bought MS license keys online for about $10 that were legit and activated on installs from MS-provided .iso downloads.
I know how to do non-legit, this wasn't it.
I would assume that the keys were 'OEM' volume-purchases that weren't supposed to be re-sold , so MS might get their panties bunched if there was an issue, but they got paid for a license (maybe, don't know that for sure, who reads EULAs?).

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post