SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for purchase of Microsoft Office
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for purchase of Microsoft Office Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I purchased a new laptop today from Costco.

I really need Word but not necessarily all of Microsoft Office, although I do think I should get it all as I do occasionally need Excel.

Costco offers 2 ways to get Microsoft Office. For $89 I can get 15 months of service. I think that's sort of a rental thing. For approximately $125 they said I can actually purchase the, IIRC, the Home or Student Version for $125-ish.

Is one better than the other? Pro's and Con's?

I'm on a pretty tight budget right now, paying cash/debit and no charge cards.

Should I look for MS Office someplace else?

BTW it's a Lenovo IdeaPad S340. Seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend you try LibreOffice and see if you need anything beyond that. It's free.

I've used LibreOffice at work and home to edit Microsoft Office documents from Word, Excel, and more for many years. No issues about features or compatibility.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
You can get 100% compatibility with LibreOffice for free so why buy Office?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Then there's this: https://arstechnica.com/inform...rosoft-office-again/

If you care about this sort of thing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to save $100-ish bucks.

So I can use what you suggested and not have any troubles? Is it really that good?

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's free. You have nothing to lose trying it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
LibreOffice is your friend.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'd be happy to save $100-ish bucks.

So I can use what you suggested and not have any troubles? Is it really that good?
I recently read a similar thread about LibreOffice and thought I'd see for myself just how good and/or compatible with MS Office it was. After playing with it, I'd say its a good replacement for MS Office with the observation that a few menu items are not in the same menu locations in LibreOffice as in MS Word or Excel. Certainly not a big issue. It opened and modified my Office files without any issues.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the most part libre office is fine.
But it is not 100% compatible.
Document formatting, layout, and paragraphnumbering are problematic.
Used it for years but finally got feed up with having to figure out ways to "trick" it to do what i wanted.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

"Apache Open Office", it's free and works well. Open Office is kinda just like Microsoft office.

Posts: 1555 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The one compelling feature of MS Office for me was VBA. Well now that MS wants that to go away in favor of VB .NET or C#, I don't see any reason not to use LibreOffice. It irks me the way the world gauges interoperability as compatibility with MS Office. It's too bad that ISO 29500 strict isn't the standard by which compatibility is measured instead of the bastardized OOXML that MS forces on us.

I'm a fan of Openoffice. I've been using NeoOffice on the Mac for a decade now, and it works just fine. There's no reason not to give it a try.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
It you’re a veteran you can buy the license at the online exchange for $69. I bought it on sale there for $29 a while back.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
I use openoffice all the time. Works great and seamlessly goes between my Microsoft work computer and my personal laptop.

phil

Posts: 2384 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
OpenOffice and LibreOffice are like branches on a tree that has the same roots.

Either one should do the job for you, just fine.

I use LibreOffice; it handles MicroSoft Office files with no problem.

As stated, menu items might not be in the same place, but the manual (online) will tell you what you need to know.

As a bonus, LibreOffice is available in versions for Mac (which I use), Windows, and Linux.

It is totally free -- FREE! No need to purchase anything. There are entrepreneurs who load it onto a disk or USB stick and sell it on Amazon and eBay, but there is no need to buy it that way, a download is simple enough.

Give it a try before you spend money with MicroSoft. You have nothing to lose. Any data files or documents that you create can be saved in MicroSoft format, so if you later decide that you really want to give your money to MicroSoft, you have not lost anything.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

It you’re a veteran you can buy the license at the online exchange for $69. I bought it on sale there for $29 a while back.
Tell me about the online exchange, please. If you do not want to publish the information here, my email address is in my profile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i was looking to purchase ms word separately, and openoffice was suggested. works fine creating letters, and modifying / editing existing *.doc word docs.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

Tell me about the online exchange, please. If you do not want to publish the information here, my email address is in my profile.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com...-software/_/N-103714

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you signup for their free MS cloud service you get all their Office apps for free. They are web based though.

Otherwise, LibreOffice is good.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try the LibreOffice unless you're collaborating with other users that use the real deal. Two years ago I was working on a project where one of the team members were using Libre. His edits of the document had a tendency to format the document wrong. On the other hand I'm using Office 365, and really like it. It is "renting" the software but I don't have formatting issues with my team members.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It really is a choice of rent vs own (O365 vs pkg product).
Own is much cheaper version time.
O365 will always entitle the latest version.
Home/Student does not have Outlook.
The optimal version I install mostly for clients is Home/Business.
But for word only then Home/Student is fine.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post