SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever rebuild a vintage Hein Werner floor jack?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever rebuild a vintage Hein Werner floor jack? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I had luck finding parts/information for an obsolete hydraulic jack through this vendor...

https://www.blackhawkparts.com/

Thanks for the link, my motorcycle jack pump leaks like the Titanic after a fill, won't lift 100%, found the model on the bottle jack and ordered the repair kit, $25, so hopefully that will fix the problem...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
Looking at the diagram and the design of the piston it appears that no seal is required between item 5 and the block. It looks like the ID of item 5 is dry and that is why there is no seal. It looks like item 5 is a space and protective housing. Perhaps not?

You are correct, from the factory there was no seal. After 50+ years of hard use and neglect, I don't think I'll get away with fitting it up dry.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All fixed and back together. No leaks so far.

Jack was a PITA to fill and I ended up having to fill it with a fat syringe.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
That’s great! I love bringing old stuff back to life. My current project is making shelves from old drawers curb-picked in 2018. They were rough-made 1885-1920. I only kept the bottoms, particularly hand-planed, and of the deepest patina.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
That’s great! I love bringing old stuff back to life. My current project is making shelves from old drawers curb-picked in 2018. They were rough-made 1885-1920. I only kept the bottoms, particularly hand-planed, and of the deepest patina.

I'll trade you projects. My next project is the dead neutral wire from the house to the box in my detached garage circa 1961. Not sure how deep it is buried under my back lawn and my concrete patio or where it is run, but I do know it is under at least 3' of snow with more coming tomorrow Mad

I want to list the house in the spring, so this is a real drag as I need to fix it ASAP.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Do you have 220V running out there now?

posted Hide Post
No, just one 120V circuit. It looks like there were two 120V circuits at one point, but the second hot leg is cut at the supply box at the house and isn't visible in the end of the conduit running out to the garage, though it is visible and dead at the box in the garage as well and always has been.

This run of wiring has clearly been messed with at some point before I bought the house 11 years ago, but I don't know why or when......

posted Hide Post
Success!

I tried running a nylon fishtape into either exposed end of the conduit to see if I could determine how deep it was buried, presuming I was going to dig. I really could not get the fishtape appreciably into either end of the pipe. With that in mind, I pulled the outlet box off the back of the house as well as the one piece of conduit I could get to under it before it went under the concrete patio.

Blocking the pipe on that end were the two poorest wire splices I've ever seen in a house. The grace of God and a bit of crispy electrical tape were all that was holding the wires together, they weren't even twisted together.

I shortened up the pipe, added an wet location box and did some proper splices. As an added bonus, I was also able to repair the second circuit to the garage and as a result, I now have a dedicated switched outlet for my compressor so I won't blow the breaker in the basement every time I have the garage lights, coach lights, and radio on when the compressor kicks on or it is cold out and the compressor kicks on.

Total cost involved $9.78 for a couple of bits I didn't have in my workshop already.

Better lucky than good for sure.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Nice! I was wondering if you could pull a new wire through via the old wire. Not an issue now.

posted Hide Post
To say that I am relieved that I didn't have to break up concrete or dig is an understatement.

I was going to try and pull new wire with the old wire if it came to that, but thankfully it did not.

posted Hide Post
Well, apparently I am a glutton for punishment.

I bought two pairs of 5 ton Hein Werner jack stands off CL from the original owner a month or two ago. He also had a Hein Werner WS jack that he wanted too much money for at the time.

Fast forward to today and $50 later I've got a one owner WS sitting on my healing bench getting cleaned, lubricated and prepared for operation. I need to duck out to the hardware store to replace a missing screw that I don't have in stock, and after a bit of elbow grease, it'll be good to go. I may rebuild the pump too, just because......

posted Hide Post
Look what just popped up on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqn7NQ228w0

An hour long rebuild of a Hein Werner WS and not a word spoken.

Made me cringe when he disassembled/reassembled the pump with a punch and chisel instead of a hook spanner and a pin spanner. Figure a guy with a lathe and a TIG welder would have such things.

Spent a lot of time making replacement parts that are still available new, but hey, good for him.

Looked almost too nice to use when he was done.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:

Made me cringe when he disassembled/reassembled the pump with a punch and chisel instead of a hook spanner and a pin spanner. Figure a guy with a lathe and a TIG welder would have such things.

Spent a lot of time making replacement parts that are still available new, but hey, good for him.

Any guy with a lathe, tig welder and a drill press (or Bridgeport mill) can easily make dedicated use (fits one size)
hook and/or pin spanners. We used to do this at work (if the correct spanner "walked off") and a machine was down.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post