SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    General Douglas MacArthur
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

General Douglas MacArthur Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Eisenhower had quite a low regard for MacArthur.

Eisenhower and McArthur were about as unlike as two men could be.

Somewhere I read,

MacArthur: “[Eisenhower was] the best damned clerk I ever had.”

Eisenhower: “I studied acting under him in Washington.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
My favorite MacArthur quote (so far):

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
He certainly had his faults as I'm discovering by reading his biography (highly recommended), but he was a completely fearless man.

Anyone who has studied him knows he wasn’t fearless.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
He certainly had his faults as I'm discovering by reading his biography (highly recommended), but he was a completely fearless man.

Anyone who has studied him outside of his own accounts knows he wasn’t fearless.

Egotistic yes, fearless no. He was guilty of insubordination to two presidents:

1. During the Bonus Army March, he ignored two orders from Hoover NOT to engage the veterans in the Bonus Army Camp.
2. Of course the well documented incident with Truman.

Of course he was more politician than a general, he got Lyndon Johnson a silver star for flying as a passenger on a bomber for one combat mission......the bomber Johnson was on turned back well before reaching the objective. Nice to have a congressman and future president in your pocket for a rainy day.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite MacArthur quote (so far):

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

My favorite MacArthur quote is "What do you mean 'fired'"?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
...When Pearl Harbor was attacked, he froze and hid in his headquarters in the Philippines for 14 hours. He did not give any orders, such as disperse planes sitting in airfields.

This

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never did understand why Gen. Short and Adm. Kimmel both lost their commands and were "at fault" for the losses at Pearl Harbor. MacArthur knew (or should have) that the Philippines were next and did nothing and was a hero. Then he was put in command of troops to retake the Philippines which was only done so he could keep his promise of "I SHALL RETURN."

I understand that Short and Kimmel could have done more to safeguard Pearl but the whole situation was cluster from the start. Several people from the top down dropped the ball. Short and Kimmel were just the scape goats.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
I never did understand why Gen. Short and Adm. Kimmel both lost their commands and were "at fault" for the losses at Pearl Harbor.

You said it - scapegoats.

The depts of the Army AND Navy royally screwed up (as well as the War Dept and State Depts), and they needed somebody to screw over to shift blame.

Of course, neither Short or Kimmel were as 'special' as MacA, so they were sacrificed, while MacA got to play god in the Pacific and then as governor of Japan.

It was a severe miscarriage of justice.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
I never did understand why Gen. Short and Adm. Kimmel both lost their commands and were "at fault" for the losses at Pearl Harbor.

You said it - scapegoats.

The depts of the Army AND Navy royally screwed up (as well as the War Dept and State Depts), and they needed somebody to screw over to shift blame.

Of course, neither Short or Kimmel were as 'special' as MacA, so they were sacrificed, while MacA got to play god in the Pacific and then as governor of Japan.

It was a severe miscarriage of justice.

How could MacArthur be responsible for Pearl Harbor?

In those old days, when disaster struck, someone had to be at fault, get the blame.

Not like now when you hurry to retire with full pension, health care, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
Dec 7, 1941 MacArthur had been retired from US Army for almost seven years. He was an employee of the Phillipine govt. and had no authority to issue any orders to US Forces, until FDR recalled him to active duty.

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, MacArthur was both brilliant and stupid...

His Naval invasion landings at Inchon, where tides are over 30 feet, broke the back of the North Korean Army in September 1950.

However, he was later given repeated info thru diplomatic sources the Chinese were going to enter the Korean war. He boasted to Washington that he could easily handle the Chinese.

In mid November 1950, some 250,000 Chinese "Volunteers" entered North Korea, traveling mostly at night. They over ran UN forces.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Short and Kimmel were held to blame for their getting caught off-guard at Pearl.

macA was given a pass for having the same thing happen to him in the Philippines, but a DAY LATER, once the entire world knew the US was at war with Japan. This was GROSS dereliction, and any commander other than precious MacA would have gotten his butt court-martialed.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
From wikipedia:

quote:
He retired from the US Army in 1937 to become Military Advisor to the Commonwealth Government of the Philippines.

MacArthur was recalled to active duty in 1941 as commander of United States Army Forces in the Far East. A series of disasters followed, starting with the destruction of his air forces on 8 December 1941, and the invasion of the Philippines by the Japanese. MacArthur's forces were soon compelled to withdraw to Bataan, where they held out until May 1942.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Short and Kimmel were held to blame for their getting caught off-guard at Pearl.

macA was given a pass for having the same thing happen to him in the Philippines, but a DAY LATER, once the entire world knew the US was at war with Japan. This was GROSS dereliction, and any commander other than precious MacA would have gotten his butt court-martialed.

This.

Posts: 631 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HJrocket:
Dec 7, 1941 MacArthur had been retired from US Army for almost seven years. He was an employee of the Phillipine govt. and had no authority to issue any orders to US Forces, until FDR recalled him to active duty.

incorrect.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
quote:

incorrect.

Marshall reactivat MacArthur in July 1941. I don't know how much Mac contributed to the defensive plans of the PI prior to Dec 8.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
quote:

incorrect.

Marshall reactivat MacArthur in July 1941. I don't know how much Mac contributed to the defensive plans of the PI prior to Dec 8.

MacArthur was in charge of the PI armed forces before being called back to active duty.

And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My ties to MacArthur come through my wife’s parents and my mom.

My wife’s father was in the Philippines prior to the start of the war. He survived the march. My wife remembers her fathers nighmares as she grew up.

My wife’s mother was an enlisted motor pool driver in Japan. She was assigned to MacArthur.

My wife’s folks met in Japan. Her dad was brought to Japan to testify in the war crime trials.

My mom’s brother graduated, along with my dad, in the USMA class of 1950. He died six months after graduation in Korea. He was an artillery forward observer. He was a Silver Star winner (posthumously).

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

incorrect.

MacArthur was in charge of the PI armed forces before being called back to active duty.

He was an advisor with an almost nonexistant staff. He also didn't start unitl 1935, and hadn't planned to be done until 1946.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

incorrect.

MacArthur was a field marshal in the PI armed forces and over their defenses. There are some legitimate concerns over what he did or the lack thereof but $$$ and support were also issues for PI preparedness from what I have read.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post