SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quip Electric Toothbrush - Anyone Here Use Them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quip Electric Toothbrush - Anyone Here Use Them? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Anybody use these new Quip electric toothbrushes? I keep hearing about them and it sounds interesting; it’s a Dollar Shave Club type business model where you buy the brush that costs from $25-$50 depending on model then they send you a fresh AAA battery (does not charge like the other kinds) and a new head every 3 months for like $5. We have Sonicare brushes but they are getting pretty old, wasn’t sure if they were any good? New Sonicare brushes are over $100 each IIRC and the official refills can be pricey (I use knockoffs from eBay).

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Like you have now, we also use SoniCare and have great results when we see the dentist.

Would be curious to see what you think of the Quip?

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Been using Sonicare for 10 years and the dentist says I'm doing a great job. It's entirely the toothbrush, I'm sure.

I have no plans to change.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
The wife and I use Sonicare and just bought a 6 pack of genuine refills at Sam's Club for around $48.
Replacing the brushes every 6 months (as recommended) works out to about $16/year.

Based on the Quip pricing you posted, replacing the AAA battery and brush at $5 every 3 Mos works out to $20/year.
One must also question how well the device will hold up and how well it will actually work.

My dentist provided a coupon for $20 off on Sonicare and recommended we get the least expensive unit as the more expensive ones have features that aren't really needed.
He also recommended going to Bed Bath and Beyond as they offered the lowest cost at that time.
We have had the Sonicares for almost five years and they are still going strong.
The dental hygienist has even complimented me on my oral care since we started using Sonicare.

I would stick with the tried and proven device even if the initial cost for a replacement is a bit higher.

"Be true to your teeth or they will be false to you" - Anonymous

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:My dentist provided a coupon for $20 off on Sonicare and recommended we get the least expensive unit as the more expensive ones have features that aren't really needed.

As a dentist, I agree with that 100%. No one needs to connect their toothbrush to their phone via Bluetooth

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

As a dentist, I agree with that 100%. No one needs to connect their toothbrush to their phone via Bluetooth

But you know out there is someone that really really really WANTS to have an app for that...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a dentist ... No one needs to connect their toothbrush to their phone via Bluetooth
You are absolutely correct! WiFi provides a much better connection! Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Update:

Some research shows that this toothbrush is 99% hype and all about them making money off the subscription model with many people giving reviews that state that it's little more than a manual toothbrush that makes a buzzing noise but does NOT operate like a real electric model like a Sonicare or Oral B.

I'll pass. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:My dentist provided a coupon for $20 off on Sonicare and recommended we get the least expensive unit as the more expensive ones have features that aren't really needed.

Heresy!

Btw: I've been using SoniCare toothbrushes for about ever since they came out. I regard that product as being in large part responsible for greatly slowing the progression of the loss of my teeth due to gum disease.

My dentist, when he recently found it necessary to extract a tooth that was beyond saving, and my grumbling about it, replied "Your original hygienist and I wagered you'd have lost all your teeth long before now. That you've saved as many as you have as long as you have is amazing."

You'll pry my SoniCare out of my cold, dead hands Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That thing looks like a gimmick.

Been using an Oral B electric for about a year after a dentist told me if she could give me one piece of advice I should take it was to use one of the electric. Don't need all the bells and whistle just the basic model. Been happy with the one I picked up.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post