SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In your youth, what venue did you aspire to play in?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In your youth, what venue did you aspire to play in? Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’m going to have to admit it never occurred to me that I should aspire to play in a venue.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Neyland

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Wimbledon

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Neyland

I have to admit that even though I grew up a huge Bama fan, that when I visited Neyland in high school I loved it! Perfect setting right on the river and it was so huge, much bigger than either Legion Field or Bryant-Denny at the time. It's one of the classic college football venues to me - third Saturday in October at Neyland? Can't be beat!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a pre-high schooler, I loved baseball. Little League, Pony League, the Minor Leagues and the Majors. Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese every week during baseball season. He kissed her on the strikes and she kissed ... well, if you're anywhere near my age, you know how it went. Drysdale, Spahn, Mays, Mantle and Maris were just a few of my heroes.

I would dream of playing in the Majors, but lost all interest by the time I got to High School. Guns, hunting and (I know this is hard to believe) but cars and girls took the place of high school sports.

Basketball? I just was not built for that sport and I never liked it. Nonetheless, my Mother, who had been a pretty good HS basketball player twenty years earlier, made me go out for the team every year in high school. I didn't have to work too hard to not make the team quickly and then, rather than playing indoors, I could be outside in the early mornings or evenings shooting and hunting. I still shoot, but no longer hunt and haven't in almost 50 years-just don't care to kill anything (and, yes, I eat meat).

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Percy Beard Track at the University of Florida for the Florida Relays. I was on the 4x1-Mile relay and we did qualify for it in 1979 but my HS wouldn't send us.

It was a Chevron composite track surface, very few of those back then. Damn did I want to run on that surface! Such is life.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
The Coliseum. Then Chavez Ravine.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
30 Rockefeller Plaza. My 13 year old self would have told you I was going to take over for Carson when he retired. Alas, he called her quits too soon, and apparently something called "talent" was called for to get the gig....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I played "ball" sports at home with the neighbors (lots of fun). Organized sports I hated. To this day don't watch any of it on TV. Motorsports though I loved. Especially drag racing.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Fenway for me

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Neyland

I have to admit that even though I grew up a huge Bama fan, that when I visited Neyland in high school I loved it! Perfect setting right on the river and it was so huge, much bigger than either Legion Field or Bryant-Denny at the time. It's one of the classic college football venues to me - third Saturday in October at Neyland? Can't be beat!

I was there for every game in 98. Couldn’t ask for a better season. Storming the field is a great memory.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had absolutely no interest in traditional sports during high school. For me the ultimate venue would have to be the 24 Hours of LeMans (in a Ford GT) and the Indianapolis 500 (in a Lotus/Ford). Later, add Daytona 500 (Chevy baby).

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Chicago Stadium, on the ice, hands down.

First to play goal, then the mighty Barton organ, then to referee.

Didn't get to do any of them, but the dream lives on.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Fillmore East with me on the drums and Allman Bros or Derek & the Dominoes backing me up Cool

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Yankee Stadium ( the old one). Just let me sit on the bench.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I raced motorcycles in 1968-69 around Michigan, most of you have never heard of those places. Scrambles and enduro races. The one I aspired to run was the Jack Pine.

Also wanted to short track race. Read every copy of Stock Car Racing I could get my hands on.

By the spring of 1970 I had given up both dirt racing and the desire to short track race. To continue in the first one or to start in the second one would have required more money than I had available.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Texas Motorplex. First all concrete drag strip.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Athletic sports, none really, however motorsports,
Indianapolis, Daytona, Talladega, Bristol, Spa, LeMans, I still would love to do these...

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post