SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rambunctious & annoying child on 8 hour flight
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rambunctious & annoying child on 8 hour flight Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retpd:
Child appears to be on the Autism spectrum. May not just be a case of bad parenting.

I wondered the same thing after estimating the age of the child, based on his size.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd bet that the kid is autistic.... OMG that must have been a long trip.
In spite of the assumed mental issues with the child....the mother should have apologized to the other passengers .

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I was on a flight once where a father with two young children started handing out ear plugs to everyone seated around him on the plane prior to takeoff. I remember thinking, "well, this doesn't bode well." But the kids actually weren't that bad. I thought it was kinda cool for the father to do that. Told me that he was at least thinking about the other people that might have to endure his children's crying and whatnot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a mating howler monkey.

Don't know about the autism spectrum, but certainly pegs the meter on the annoying little bastard scale. If it was autism, the parents could have either sedated him or explained to everyone there is a legitimate mental problem.

But no way in hell would I listen to that for 8 hours, not even 8 minutes. I have a son and by God of he ever behaved like that, well he just wouldn't because i refused to allow it from a very very young age.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Child appears to be on the Autism spectrum. May not just be a case of bad parenting.

I wondered the same thing after estimating the age of the child, based on his size.

If so, then the parents are well experienced with dealing with the child. They are trained in his care. Their doctor would have provided sedation. Last, this would be a medical condition that the parents would have informed the airline about.

OR this is an example of piss poor parenting and self centered sperm & egg donors that are oblivious to the brat's behavior.

Were we stuck on the flight, I'd spend my time organizing a mass complaint to the airline. They would have at least be forced to provide first class tickets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Icabod,

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Exactly, I do not care what the kids problem is. Does not in any way excuse the fact they the parent/parents exposed the rest of the airplane to that. Complete bs.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19180 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Why didn’t the flight crew do anything about it?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped the video at 1:00, when the flight attendant says "let's get the wifi going," something about an ipad, and then says "we haven't taken off yet."

There is a big red line in aviation between haven't taken off, and airborne. Everything we do in the cockpit is divided by that line, and it's a life or death one; the most critical moment in the cockpit comes during the takeoff. Likewise, we do NOT take off with a problem on board; if this was a known problem in the cabin, there is compelling reason to return to the gate or get it settled before takeoff, because once the aircraft is off the ground, any problem takes on an entirely different character.

Unlike any other situation, once the airplane reaches a speed on the runway that a rejected takeoff is no longer possible, it becomes it's own nation and planet, and it's on it's own. No one can help from outside. The only law enforcement, firefighting, medical, government, or anything else exists inside the fuselage; there is no leaving, and no arriving. There's no pulling over, to sort it out. To go airborne with a known problem that could be settled on the ground is wildly irresponsible and dangerous.

It might just be a screaming child, but it's also disorder and confusion, tension, distraction, and an added problem. What about a rejected takeoff or other emergency, when flight attendants (who are on board to direct that emergency, not to serve coffee and tea) are now burdened with this kid? Needs to be removed before flight, because he can't be removed after takeoff.

I'd have taken the airplane back to the gate.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The Bible is very brief on this subject. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Oh boy - people make such an unwarranted big deal about this concept.

First, "the rod" does not necessarily refer to corporal punishment. What it refers to is being a parent that teaches the child from the very beginning that there will be pain and/or discomfort associated with bad behavior.

Second, people who have no concept of child psychiatry mistakenly believe that a young child will respond to parenting techniques the same way an adult would. IOW, they think, "I'd be pissed if someone treated me that way," assuming a young child will be also. In actuality, the younger a child is, the more he needs to know that he is not in charge - that there is someone older and more experienced in charge in order to feel at ease in the world.

Children NEED discipline. I don't say that because disciplined children are easier to tolerate in public (even though that is a pleasant perk), I say it because it benefits the child to know he is not in charge, but rather an adult alpha male is.

The parenting techniques I am referring to require a great deal of patience, consistency, and a greater deal of effort - especially during the first five years of the child's life. I fear that most parents today are just too damned lazy and too damned apathetic to make that big effort. If only they could realize what a huge payoff would be theirs if they just made that effort in those early, formative years.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think every plane should have one attendant who is a certified nurse and medically qualified to inject sedatives. Kids acting up should be sedated (safely). If mama objects too much, she should be, too. The act of buying a ticket and boarding the plane should automatically express willingness for such a procedure.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
The Bible is very brief on this subject. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." Oh boy - people make such an unwarranted big deal about this concept.

First, "the rod" does not necessarily refer to corporal punishment. What it refers to is being a parent that teaches the child from the very beginning that there will be pain and/or discomfort associated with bad behavior.

I remember the only instance where my dad spanked me. He gave me the choice of a wooden spoon, or his belt, with the condition that if I put my hand in the way I would get one more. I didn't put my hand behind me the second time.

That kid and mom are just as bad as people with their faux "emotional support" hyenas. If you can't keep your shit together, perhaps you should just stay home.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 70's, when Royal Air Force Transport Command still had a few Bristol Britannia jet-props in service as well as the incoming VC-10s, the haul from Cyprus to RAF Brize Norton in UK was very long and slow...

The 'trooper' as it was called, took off about midnight local time, and arrived a LONG time later.

A boy, aged about eight or nine, started his shenannigins about an hour into the flight, zooming up and down the aisle and generally making himself a PITA. I was sitting across from his poor mom, who was totally unable to control her little darlin'. Most people were trying to get to sleep, including the cabin crew. So I leaned over and asked her if I might try and calm him down and she readily agreed. Calling him over on one of his 'zoom-bys', I whispered something into his ear.

To the amazement of his mom and all around us, he went meekly to his seat, buckled in, and kept schtum for the remainder of the flight, although, from time to time, he looked over at me.

In those days, there was no such thing as a jetway, especially at a military base, so we had to go down a long flight of steps - the plane was pretty huge. So to speed things up we all went down two or three abreast.

The mom, loaded with all the baggage that I wasn't actually helping her with [I travelled light] leaned over to me and with a big smile on her face, said 'I dont know what it was you said to calm him down but it certainly worked! What exactly was it?'

I put on my best s**t-eating grin and whispered in her ear - 'I told him that if he didn't sit down quietly and stop behaving like a complete putz, I'd break both his arms'.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Back in the early 70's, when Royal Air Force Transport Command still had a few Bristol Britannia jet-props in service as well as the incoming VC-10s, the haul from Cyprus to RAF Brize Norton in UK was very long and slow...

The 'trooper' as it was called, took off about midnight local time, and arrived a LONG time later.

A boy, aged about eight or nine, started his shenannigins about an hour into the flight, zooming up and down the aisle and generally making himself a PITA. I was sitting across from his poor mom, who was totally unable to control her little darlin'. Most people were trying to get to sleep, including the cabin crew. So I leaned over and asked her if I might try and calm him down and she readily agreed. Calling him over on one of his 'zoom-bys', I whispered something into his ear.

To the amazement of his mom and all around us, he went meekly to his seat, buckled in, and kept schtum for the remainder of the flight, although, from time to time, he looked over at me.

In those days, there was no such thing as a jetway, especially at a military base, so we had to go down a long flight of steps - the plane was pretty huge. So to speed things up we all went down two or three abreast.

The mom, loaded with all the baggage that I wasn't actually helping her with [I travelled light] leaned over to me and with a big smile on her face, said 'I dont know what it was you said to calm him down but it certainly worked! What exactly was it?'

I put on my best s**t-eating grin and whispered in her ear - 'I told him that if he didn't sit down quietly and stop behaving like a complete putz, I'd break both his arms'.

tac

I love reading all your post.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spanking still works on autistic kids. My opinion is this kid is just an asshole.

I raised as autistic boy and while he tried those things at an early age it didn't last long. He felt consequence, every time. He learned a lot faster than the other kid in the family. Usually, one punishment was the end of it.

I've also seen what I'm going to call fake diagnoses of autism. It's tossed about way too often. "Oh, he's on the spectrum" is no excuse to me.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Autism sucks.

If you can't manage your child in certain situations because of autism, the solution is: Avoid those situations when it's at all possible.

Yes. It impacts the quality of life for the parents, and it means the parents sometimes can't do what THEY want to do... like dinner in a nice restaurant or a long flight. See above: Autism sucks.

The solution is to find a work-around, not inflicting the suck (the suck you KNOW is coming) on everyone else.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
I'd bet that the kid is autistic.... OMG that must have been a long trip.
In spite of the assumed mental issues with the child....the mother should have apologized to the other passengers .

I think it is more likely that his mom and dad are milk toasts that don't believe in disciplining little Johnny, preferring to plead with him to be nice instead of being parents.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
The mother really showed her stripes when she requested that the staff, "get the wifi going" at first I thought an attendant had suggested it but no, it was the mother.

There's no way I could sit quietly while "scooter" was climbing around on the seats if he were near me. Just a bit of turbulence would make him a danger to those around him. Not ok.

That's what surprised me the most. I couldn't believe the flight staff allowed it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
I couldn't believe the flight staff allowed it.
Yup, as sns3guppy said above, I find i hard to believe that this situation was not handled prior to departure.

That family should have been de-planed. See YouTube for instructions on how to handle situations like this. United has it down pat.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
We never traveled by air until we were at least 18 years old. Problem anticipated, problem solved.

My daughter first flew to France when she was less than five months old. That was a ten hours flight. She has since flown back and forth from France two more times. She's only 22 months old right now. She's always well behaved, but a lot of that also has to do with my wife being over prepared for anything. She'll have little baggies of all different types of snacks good enough just to satisfy her, toys strategically organized in her carry on, bottles of milk ready to go, and the kid's amazon tablet preloaded with Netflix and Amazon kid shows as a last resort. In addition to that, a couple of weeks before the trip, she will hide certain toys from her as well as not give her the tablet at all during that time. That way she has no chance of getting bored with it and is happy and surprised to see them again on the flight.

Anyway, I would've absolutely lost it on that flight with that parent if I were forced to put up with that nonsense. I would not have been kind.

+1. My son has been traveling with us both nationally and internationally since he was a little less than 3 months old (it’s free under age 2, at least in the states). We aren’t super frequent travelers, but fly about 3 times/yr, and do pretty much everything as listed above. 7 Ps and all. That said, you just never know how a child is going to behave on a given flight. We’ve had great luck, to the point where on several of our flights, other passengers (and airline attendants) stop us on their way off the plane or in the terminal to compliment us on his good behavior.

I’ve no idea if this child is autistic or not, but if so, I’d bet that parent struggled with the thought of bringing that little one on the plane. Perhaps a family emergency. I did not watch the vid, but did read all the posts before commenting.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I suspect we haven’t heard the last of this 8-hour ordeal.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post