SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    portable jump start power pack things for cars
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

portable jump start power pack things for cars Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I see all of them say it is not safe to store at over 140 degrees Fahrenheit (apparently a limitation of all lithium-ion batteries). Has anyone found a way to safely keep these in the car during the summer?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
I see all of them say it is not safe to store at over 140 degrees Fahrenheit (apparently a limitation of all lithium-ion batteries). Has anyone found a way to safely keep these in the car during the summer?

Move to Alaska Smile

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Weatherproof plastic container stored somewhere in the engine compartment?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

In a sedan, I don't think the trunk compartment will get that hot. It isn't exposed to the sun. For other storage areas, you could come up with some kind of insulated storage like a thermal bag.

quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Engine compartment? Confused

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Has anyone found a way to safely keep these in the car during the summer?“

I use one of those small, thick-wall styrofoam coolers frozen meat is shipped in.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have the opposite issue. Would like to keep one in my truck for the winter months when it is below zero.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to think of the last time I had a dead battery in my personal vehicle. I think it was some time in the late 1990s, and only because the vehicle sat undriven for several months. I realize that sometimes [stuff] happens and you should of course be prepared for it, but most dead batteries are avoidable.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm old school. I made up a set of jumper cables from some old welding leads. They are flexible enough in cold weather and fit in a 50 cal ammo box. I dont want another battery operated device, sitting around that doesn't get used. I would guess the battery in said devices only have so many charge and discharge cycles before they are no good. My cables are a very low maintenance item.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Wife got me a jump box from Harbor Freight a few years ago I think for Valentines. I’ve used it several times and it’s been incredibly handy. I plug it up once a month to make sure it’s topped off and it’s never failed me.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Engine compartment? Confused

See the question mark?
Vehicles are different and some will have plenty of room up front to place one away from the engine.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I haven't thought much about the heat in the cabin. I currently keep mine behind the rear seat in the storage bin back there. I guess I'll get a thermometer and watch the cabin temps as summer approaches. If it seems like it's getting too hot, I'll probably try the storage box I keep in the bed. It's lockable but not tied down. I don't worry too much about theft. I've kept that storage box in the bed for 4 years or so with tarps, gloves, ropes and such and none have wandered off. Hell they could take the hole box in two seconds.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post