SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    portable jump start power pack things for cars
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

portable jump start power pack things for cars Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I took out AAA when I started a 100 mi a day commute ~18 years ago... I have used it for...

A fuel pump died, 50 miles from home.
I hit a deer, busted radiator.
A blown engine, she's dead Jim.
Locked out, at the Mall, with the wife no less!

But never a dead battery. Now retired but I will be keeping my AAA.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Recently watched a torture comparison test . The 2 top ones were #2 Top Vision. #1 AuDew. You can find the test on You-Tube. Honorable mention is made by San Rock. Put them thru all kinds of testing.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the ad on Amazon says :
The device does NOT come with a wall charger.Please feel free to contact us if any question.

so I am going to be buying a special adapter also ?

would you suppose this as well?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Listing and answers to question on page indicate it comes with a USB to Type C charger. Plug the USB cable into any USB wall charger or powered port on PC, Type C end into the device to charge.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

I took out AAA when I started a 100 mi a day commute ~18 years ago... I have used it for...

A fuel pump died, 50 miles from home.
I hit a deer, busted radiator.
A blown engine, she's dead Jim.
Locked out, at the Mall, with the wife no less!

But never a dead battery. Now retired but I will be keeping my AAA.
The independent agent who handles my insurance requirements advised me to drop AAA and opt for the Roadside Assistance coverage available on our auto policy.

Much less expensive, and MUCH better coverage!

You might want to look into this if it is offered for your auto policy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Here's one guy's take. We got the Audew based on his and Amazon's good reviews.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I have a NOCO as well. It charges via a micro USB port. Since my car has an accessory outlet in the trunk, I went to the dollar store and splurged $2.00 for a cigarette lighter USB adapter and a 3ft micro USB cord.
Now I have an additional monthly task at the beginning of every month - check fluid levels, tire pressure, and charge level of the booster.
If it's low, I just leave it in the trunk plugged in for the day.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

WEEGO MADE IN THE USA

Although I wish that was true, according to their website they are designed and engineered in America. Since they make no claim to made in the USA, one must conclude the production is overseas.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
I have the Clore JNC 660 and keep it in the F150 year round. It’ll jump anything anytime and holds a charge really well.

+1 for the JNC 660. It will jump start just about anything. Freightliner, Kenworth, Ford F-450, GMC 6000, and just about anything I've seen it connected to.

It doesn't have a USB port, air compressor, Sirius radio, MP3 player, etc... just starts engines when you want them started.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
You might want to look into this if it is offered for your auto policy.

Yea I know, my Son in Law has had good luck going that route... I have just been too lazy to look into it. I do use the AAA hotel discount a few times a year.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
The one I have has two male prongs on the back to plug the female end of an extension cord into to charge it. It can also charge off of the car cigarette lighter socket. The extension cord method automatically shuts down charging when the charge is full. I just keep mine plugged in in the garage since I usually only need it at home.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are nice,
https://www.amazon.com/Schumac...id=1579154226&sr=8-5

as they're an automatic air pump too. As in, set the preesure, it runs until it gets there and automatically shuts down.

USB charging ports, 12 volt cig plug, 120 volt inverter, light, ect.

Charges by a standard extension cord (for best results) or by vehicle (over charging can happen doing it this way).

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked to a fellow who worked at a car dealership today .

He claimed that they purchased four of the chargers that Costco offered , and they worked very well, he guessed that they started over 30 cars with each one last winter .

here's the thing, My battery is only two years old , and I personally have only needed a jump start , once, in 9 years .

but I also carry a fire extinguisher , just in case.

hope I am not wasting $70.00 Frown

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If it can charge your phone as well in my opinion you aren’t wasting money.

Most common problems I see are cooling system failures and charging system failures. Your battery might be okay to get you to safety if it could only start the engine. The battery might just last another year if you get past this -10 day. Charging your phone during a power outage can be awfully important. If your battery is getting old and you really don’t want to drop the coin on a new phone, carrying an extra battery can buy you another year easy enough.

Helping your neighbors get their stuff going has a satisfaction of its own.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I went with a GooLoo GP2000. Rated at 10L gas engine. About $85 on Amazon. I keep it in my truck right next to the viair compressor. Used it once to jump a friends big-ass Buick at the gym. Fired it right up.

Reminds me, I'm overdue for a top-off charge. I try to do that at least every two months, and once a month if I can remember.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add the roadside assistance through your car insurance it will be much less than AAA. If I remember you have an older car. I would be more worried about a mechanical break down before a dead battery.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're carrying one of these things as insurance in case of a dead battery, how do you ensure that it will work? Can an auto parts store load test it like a car battery?

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually there is a meter indicating amount of charge

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Am considering dropping AAA motor assist and getting one of these,
any Idea how they get recharged ?

You have to consider that the towing charges are half of what you would have to pay if you had to call a towing company yourself.

I still use their maps from time to time and other services if going on a trip.

I have been with them since 1974 and had the same thought of dropping them but $74 a year is chicken feed. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. The Audew in the OP went out of stock before Christmas, and as a bonus today they're in stock with a 10% off coupon. One on its way to the TatorTodd compound.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post