SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elections have consequences: DOJ settles Tea Party lawsuits against IRS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elections have consequences: DOJ settles Tea Party lawsuits against IRS Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
You might say "What difference, at this point, does it make?" But the settlement by Sessions' DOJ at least reminds us how much the Obama IRS and DOJ used their power illegally to suppress opposition.

CBS News link

quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Thursday that the Justice Department has entered into settlements in two cases involving groups whose tax-exempt status was inappropriately delayed during the 2010 and 2012 elections by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The first case, Linchpins of Liberty v. United States, contains claims brought by 41 plaintiffs, and the second case, NorCal Tea Party Patriots v. Internal Revenue Service, was a class action suit that included 428 members.

In a statement about the settlements, Sessions quoted Chief Justice John Marshall, who had observed that it's undeniable that "the power to tax involves the power to destroy," and Sessions said it should be "without question" that the First Amendment prohibits the federal government from treating groups differently "based solely on their viewpoint or ideology."

Former IRS official Lois Lerner admitted in 2013 that the agency had improperly delayed some conservative groups from obtaining non-profit status simply because their "applications had [Tea Party or Patriots] in the title. That was wrong, that was absolutely incorrect, insensitive."

Because of the criteria used, the IRS placed hundreds of applications under additional scrutiny, and Sessions said, "In many instances, the IRS then requested highly sensitive information from applicants, such as donor information, that was not needed to make a determination of tax-exempt status."

This, Sessions went on to say "was wrong and should never occurred." Tax-exempt status "should be based on the activities of the organization and whether they fulfill requirements of the law, not the policy positions adopted by members or the name chosen to reflect those views."

Though the Justice Department declined to prosecute Lerner for her role in delaying non-profit status for some conservative groups, Sessions condemned the IRS for its treatment of the groups.

"There is no excuse for this conduct," he wrote. "Hundreds of organizations were affected by these actions, and they deserve an apology from the IRS. We hope that today's settlement makes clear that this abuse of power will not be tolerated."

CBS News' Paula Reid contributed to this report.

BTW my wife was involved with the Tea Party Maui when it filed suit; ACLJ (American Center for Law and Justice) represented over 40 Tea Party groups.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
About time !!

President Trump made it official on Thursday that embattled IRS Commissioner John Koskinen will be out of a job next month.

Trump tapped David Kautter, the Treasury Department’s assistant secretary for tax policy, to serve as interim IRS commissioner, beginning Nov. 13.

Koskinen’s term ends on Nov. 12. He was eligible for reappointment, but Koskinen is fiercely opposed by congressional Republicans. Members of the House Freedom Caucus attempted but failed to impeach Koskinen last year, largely over his handling of the scandal involving former IRS official Lois Lerner.

Prior to Koskinen’s tenure, Lerner was accused targeting conservative groups who applied for non-profit status. Koskinen was accused of stonewalling congressional investigators looking into Lerner’s activities as well as of covering up for the Obama administration.

Trump had faced pressure from many Republicans to fire Koskinen, who was appointed to head the IRS by President Obama in 2013.

Kautter, Koskinen’s intended replacement, was appointed to his role at Treasury in August. He worked as a tax attorney at the firm Ernst & Young for more than three decades.

Kautter will still perform his Treasury Department duties while overseeing the IRS, according to Treasury Sec. Steven Mnuchin.

“David will provide important leadership while we wait to confirm a permanent commissioner,” Mnuchin said in a statement, according to Bloomberg.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10...chief-john-koskinen/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
You might say "What difference, at this point, does it make?". . .

quote:
. . .the Justice Department declined to prosecute Lerner for her role in delaying non-profit status for some conservative groups. . .

I don't ask "What difference does it make?"

Rather, I ask why are they too damned spineless to prosecute?

Nothing will change until the GDC's face real consequences for their criminal actions.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

Rather, I ask why are they too damned spineless to prosecute?

It was never about them being "spineless", I think it was more of them not wanting to punish someone who had done nothing wrong in their eyes.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I would like to see if heavy fines and prison time would act as a deterrent.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4786 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing will change until the GDC's face real consequences for their criminal actions.

^^^THIS^^^
We are expected to keep taking bites of this shit sandwich while NONE of these assholes go to prison. Mad

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Koskinen was accused of stonewalling congressional investigators looking into Lerner’s activities as well as of covering up for the Obama administration.

And, interestingly enough, only cared whether or not something was statutory when he decided to buck Trump's Executive Order on the OCare penalty. Let's see if that "interpretation" of the law holds good with a new head of the IRS.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Those pricks need to be in jail. This is a bullshit slap and tickle.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
My my AG Sessions gave them a stern talking to they won't soon forget will they?

Know what the left takes away from this? Weaponizing the IRS is completely acceptable.

Just don't get caught. Or you might have to say you're sorry.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Trump needs to oust every last one of obama’s appointees and put his own folks in all those positions. Why try to work with people who you don’t trust and might not have your back.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
So we, the taxpayers, pay through the nose for something these GDC's did.

Business as usual. My proof? John Koskinen is still Commissioner of the IRS. Draining the swamp should have started with him, IMO.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so why isn't Lerner swinging from a streetlight somewhere?

really, just how badly do you need to abuse your power and fuck over the citizens before we're allowed to take action against these cretins

she admitted she's a lying scum-licking sack of shit...so why is she still free?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Koskinen and Lerner should be behind bars. I am disappointed in Jeff Sessions.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"not even a smidgen"

https://youtu.be/GUtDFDU4kMk

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post