SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shingrix shot.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingrix shot. Login/Join 
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted
I've had Aunt's and Uncle's who came down with Shingles and figured it would be a good idea to get the new shingle shot. As with a lot of people Iv'e had many shots in my life but never had a reaction to them like the Shingrix vaccine. About an hour after the shot I had a lemon size welt on my shoulder and felt like Mike Tyson punched me there. The next two days I was fatigued and achy. The bad thing is it's a two shot vaccine two to six months apart. The second shot didn't swell up, but Mike Tyson showed up again with all the other side effects with him.
My advice if you want to get this vaccine is do it on like a Friday after work, go home and ice your shoulder and don't plan on doing much for a couple of days.

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Went through that myself, recently, there’s a thread about it somewhere around here on the forum. Now you know, before they inject you, why they to know if you’re right or left handed. I have part two coming up in a couple of months, I’m looking forward to it. NOT!

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife & I just had our second Shingrex shots last month. Neither of us had any reaction to the first one, but after the second we both came down with flu-like symptoms the next day & had welts at the injection sites. The side effects only lasted a day or two. Still, I’d take that over shingles any day.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pharmacist that gave me my shots was very open about swelling and pain. and it did show up both times. A minor discomfort versus what I have seen in friends that developed shingles.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2869 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The reactions seem to vary widely, person to person. I was so advised by the pharmacist before she gave me my first. I've now had both, and no more reaction than a tender spot at the injection site. It was almost like a bruise, no pain until I touched it, and then just a mild soreness.

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I had the "flu" reaction to the first shot. No adverse reaction to the second shot.

Posts: 1264 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Compared to actual shingles it is no contest.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typically, the older you are the less reaction you have. If you are younger, your immune system is in better shape and you have more of a reaction. Of course there are exceptions.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I agree, a couple days of discomfort are way better than having shingles.

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I had my two shots earlier this year. I didn't get any swelling but very sore arm and flu like symptoms (aches, fever, etc) for a couple days after. For the second one, the bad effects seemed worse than the first. My father and a coworker had a bout with shingles. Definitely something I'd rather avoid.

Posts: 1510 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I take it that Shingrix is not an aspiring rap artist?

Posts: 10791 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I had my second injection about a month ago, my wife recommended warm compress on the injection site since the fluid is very viscous and the warm compress will help spread it. Did not have any reaction other than soreness for a couple of days. The warm compress helped which I did not do with the first injection.

Posts: 5297 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
there’s a thread about it somewhere around here on the forum.

Yup, started by me. Link

Going for my second this Friday. I'll have to try the warm compress as noted above. Maybe it will help avoid the Flu like symptoms I got after the first one.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surprise. Went to get the second shot. On backorder and none expected for weeks. Luckily found another pharmacy where they had the vaccine available. I asked the pharmacist intially what happened if you could not get the second shot until after six months. He had no idea. His guess was to call the manufacturer. Just a heads up for others.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only one to have a bad reaction. I just got the first one on Thursday last week. The red baseball size swelling has finally gone down to a barely visible red mark. I had a headache, mild nausea, and tremendous body/joint aches all weekend. I am not looking forward to the second one 4 to 6 months from now.

Posts: 3908 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by clubleaf206:
there’s a thread about it somewhere around here on the forum.

Yup, started by me. Link

Well, actually I had this thread started by me in mind.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...660056644#4660056644

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
After reading the posts I called my local CVS to see if I could come in and get my first shot. They are out of the vaccine and don't know when it will come in.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
After reading the posts I called my local CVS to see if I could come in and get my first shot. They are out of the vaccine and don't know when it will come in.

My local Safeway started having limited supplies, and a waiting list, after I got my first shot in May. They are prioritizing those who have had one shot, because they have a limited amount of time to get their second. Got my second in June.

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I had both in the past few months and they told me it would be like a tetanus shot. Tetanus shots never left as much of an impression as the Shringix. It felt a bit like I took a beating for a few days after each shot.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

My local Safeway started having limited supplies, and a waiting list, after I got my first shot in May. They are prioritizing those who have had one shot, because they have a limited amount of time to get their second. Got my second in June.

My dad tried to get one recently and was told to try back in two months. Seems supply is very limited.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16374 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post