SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shingrix shot.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingrix shot. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My second shot is due on black Friday (2 months elapsed).

First shot made my arm sore for a few days. Shots usually don't bother me, so I was surprised.

Nothing like some people are reporting here tho.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
2nd day since second shot and the injection site is still sore but the other side effects have abated almost completely.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3427 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
ZSMICHAEL, my wife must have one tough immune system then. She is 69 years old and is in great shape but that shot really knocked her for a loop.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ZSMICHAEL, my wife must have one tough immune system then. She is 69 years old and is in great shape but that shot really knocked her for a loop.

Believe me it beats the Shingles. I had a mild case and started on Acyclovir within hours. It was unpleasant.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had my second shot this morning. We will see how it goes.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I got my second shot on Friday. A bit of soreness Friday night, not much by now. I did experience some additional side effects Friday night: headache, chills (not serious), and some joint pain. Glad to be done with it. I still say the two pneumonia shots (over two years) was worse for both the injection and roughly 3 days of soreness.

Posts: 13154 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I also received my second dosing on thurs 11/22.
The ladies at my docs office who I know pretty well warned me that the second dose was causing more pain for them then the first shot had.
Both advised me to just go home and take some pain and swelling relievers and just stay ahead of it which I did.
Shoulder was a little sorer then the first shot but overall not that bad.
I'm also glad I'm done with it as I am the biggest wuss when it comes to shots.

Now I plan on getting the flu shot this week. This will be only the second year for that. AT 61 anytime I get sick in any way just really takes a toll on me and I'm all for trying to avoid anything if possible.

I expect to have been sick already from the three doctors visits, shopping trips and being around all the kids and grand kids at Thanksgiving as well as going to the candlelight tour and parade the other night.

I try to was my hands and avoid breathing as much as possible. Also when another shopper starts coming around with a basket full of snotty nose hacking and couching kids I run the other way.

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
My second shot is due in January. My brother in law had his second shot last week. He didn't have a reaction to the first shot, but he had the full on head, body aches, chills, sweats for the second shot...........I am not looking forward to January, as the first shot made me feel the worst I have felt in years.

Posts: 3908 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Received my first Shingrix vaccination yesterday and only experienced some arm pain where the shot was.

There’s a theory going around w/some strong empirical evidence that Shingles is becoming more widespread and appearing earlier b/c our immune systems aren’t being exposed as much to the varicella virus. Chalk up another COVID-19 effect and its idiocy.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First one knocked me out hard for the rest of the day

Second one ... no effect

Posts: 342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Received my first Shingrix vaccination yesterday and only experienced some arm pain where the shot was.

There’s a theory going around w/some strong empirical evidence that Shingles is becoming more widespread and appearing earlier b/c our immune systems aren’t being exposed as much to the varicella virus. Chalk up another COVID-19 effect and its idiocy.

I got shingles a little over two months ago. Another shipmate of mine on my ship came down with shingles two weeks ago. He's only in his 30's. Another shipmate, also in his 30's, had it last year. It definitely does seem to be more widespread, especially among younger people. I think the chickenpox vaccine has as much to do with that as the lockdowns.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30282 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Never get other shots, took this 2 part set.

1st one 7 months ago, no issue. 2nd about 6 weeks ago, mild 'tiny Mike Tyson' tenderness for a few days. No other side effects.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9847 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Today is my 50th birthday.
I'm getting my shot tomorrow. I've already had shingles when I was in my 20s and there's no way I want to go through it again.

Mom has an autoimmune disease so she's on a humira type shot, the downside is she's had shingles for almost a year now. The shot keeps her immune system from knocking out the shingles. Most of the time it's "low grade" pain so she's still taking the shot.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the series last winter - spring. I noticed “soreness” in my arm/shoulder; nothing really hurt, my range of motion wasn’t affected, just felt it for quite few weeks.

Anecdotally, I have heard about flu symptoms, aches but nothing severe.

I’ll take any of that over getting actual shingles.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had both shots and my only reaction was, Wow, these are expensive!
I have Medicare and TriCare for Life and each vaccine was $462 plus $82 for the injection? Insurance only paid about $200 each time.
I have vaccine shots at my Primary Care Physician office both times at UCSD Medical in San Diego about a year apart and I am 69.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Wow - That's expensive. We have Medicare and a Part G Supplement that paid absolutely nothing. Ours were about $182.50 each. Big, big difference. I thought that was high!

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4210 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k4carbon:
I have Medicare and TriCare for Life and each vaccine was $462 plus $82 for the injection? Insurance only paid about $200 each time.
I have vaccine shots at my Primary Care Physician office both times at UCSD Medical in San Diego about a year apart and I am 69.
I don't understand this-I have Medicare and Tricare for life and paid nothing for both phases administered at the pharmacy. I am in Florida-what is different in CA?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by k4carbon:
I don't understand this-I have Medicare and Tricare for life and paid nothing for both phases administered at the pharmacy. I am in Florida-what is different in CA?

How do you like Tricare? I will be looking at that as an option down the road. Right now, I have Blue Cross. I'm contemplating whether it would be worth the switch over.

A few years back, my son contracted a form of Encephalitis. At the time, there were no pediatric ICU vacancies in the OKC metro area and he had to be air lifted to a hospital in Tulsa. Scariest time of our lives. Fortunately, he recovered after about 4 days on a breathing tube. Anyway, the air transport bill alone was >$50K not to mention the expense of the ICU care he received. Fortunately, the helicopter service had a contract with Blue Cross and it was fully covered as was the rest of my son's care. So, I wonder how Tricare would be in a similar situation?

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I wonder how Tricare would be in a similar situation?

^^^^^^^^^^^
Doctors prefer Blue Cross. Less hassle for preauthorization, better payment. Tricare rates are tied to what Medicare pays, which is well below most private insurance.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had the first dose just about a month ago now, on the advice of my doctor. My arm was a little sore for 4 or 5 days and I felt more tired than normal that first night, but otherwise no side effects. I go back in December for the 2nd dose.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post