SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shingrix shot.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingrix shot. Login/Join 
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I received the first shot 3 weeks ago. Arm was sore for 4 days and had a slight fever the first night.

I'm to call after the first of the year to schedule the second shot.

Last week my Wife got shingles. I never had chicken pox and she can now give it to me.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got 1st shot this morning. See what happens

Told to come back in 2-4mths for second shot

Got it done at my local independent pharmacy, 100% covered by Anthem insurance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
My second shot produced a low grade fever for bout 12 hours. Glad I did it..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Finally received my second shot last Thursday. My shoulder was a little sore for a few days, but not like it was after the first one and I had a sort of uncomfortable night, however by the time I got out of bed I was better. Considering what the alternative could have been without the vaccine I think the outcome was acceptable. I’ve known people who have suffered through an episode of shingles and I will happily take a pass.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I just got my 2nd shot reminder today. Will probably take care of it Thursday... good to have it done.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I'm getting the second shot today. I was a bit sore and tired after the first one. Well worth it if it prevents getting Shingles.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I got my second one a while back. About 12 hours after I got it I was in bed shivering and nauseous. No fever. Next day just aches, mild nausea and fatigue for the day. #rd day still achy but better.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the second shot today. The arm is still sore from the time of the previous shot, in October, though I can't say with any conclusiveness it's the shot. More sore, now, and my temp is up and down. I'm isolating in a spare bedroom and wearing a mask around the house if I need to leave the room for a bathroom break; common sense precaution. Probably just the shingrix shot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Got my Rx in hand for my second shot. First was 30 October.

No issues other than I got caught unaware that TriCare For Life would charge me a $150 co-pay if received at a doctor's office but free at any neighborhood pharmacy. Frown

Planning on getting #2 on the 28th of this month.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
As stated in my other thread, I had a reaction to the vaccine.

The worst of the pain has subsided, but the gabapentin was worse than the pain. Imagine a television that was broadcasting a really unpleasant shitty show, then it just gets switched to static. My ears are ringing so loud, I am deafened.

If that wasn't enough, the after effects of my Bells Palsy has returned. The nerve that was affected is now twinging and causing me to lose balance.

I don't even dare to call my doctor over this anymore because they stick me with a $300 bill every time.

So my doctor fucks me up and I get to pay for it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd story going back a few years. When my son got his 2nd booster for Chicken Pox I was 35. Two days later I came down with a very mild case of the shingles on my back and legs. The doctor was perplexed and said it was a coincidence. Really?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, really. It's not possible for your son getting a shot to cause you to develop shingles.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Just got my Shingrix #1 yesterday at my local Walgreens. After effects are minor. Sore and red in about a four-inch circle around the injection area. I'm blessed!

When I contacted y doctor's office about getting vaccinated there, they laid the onus on me to check with my insurance (BCBS) and wanted me to agree to cover their fee $462.00 EACH should my insurance not cover. I contacted Walgreens. $188 per shot; Walgreens also made the effort to run the cost through my insurance and advised I would not be getting a bill. Not even a co-pay. Of course I went with Walgreens. The pharmacist even delayed his lunch break to give me the shot. Great service by the pharmacist and his staff at Walgreens, and I made sure to tell him I appreciated him and his staff's service.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I'm getting the second shot today. I was a bit sore and tired after the first one. Well worth it if it prevents getting Shingles.

I experienced no side effects after shot #!.

I was sick after #2 with flu like symptoms that cleared up after a couple of days. Small price to pay... glad I did it.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
In case it hasn't been covered:

Both Shingrix doses (with administration separated by 2 to 6 months) are exactly the same product. It is not possible to accidentally give or get them out of order.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I took a dose of Diclofenac yesterday morning as I nearly turned my ankle on Sunday and torqued the knee a bit. The timing was ~ 6 hours before my second Shingrix shot. Had that in the afternoon and worked from home for the remainder of the day. At first, my arm wasn't even sore but that changed over the next few hours.

By 10 pm, the side-effects hit pretty fiercely. Low grade fever, slightly elevated BP, tinnitus and aches/pains covering many areas from my toes, testicles and occasionally even my teeth. Only slept for a couple hours and decided to take a sick day today. While my fever has dissipated, I'm definitely not my best and certainly won't be cordial. Hopefully I can snag some shuteye here soon. I've never been laid low by a vaccination before but perhaps the strong anti-inflammatory I took hours before didn't help, when the latter wore off. It makes sense as the antigen would have time to spread and the cell mediated response finally kicked in.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The way I understand these two stage vaccines is that the first vaccine tells your immune system this virus is bad shit, be prepared to deal with it if you see it again. When you get the second shot, your immune system recognizes the threat right away and goes to full battle stations, thus the more pronounced reaction to the second shot. Younger people will tend to react more than older folks because their immune systems are more robust. At least that is the way a doc explained it to me.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
The way I understand these two stage vaccines is that the first vaccine tells your immune system this virus is bad shit, be prepared to deal with it if you see it again. When you get the second shot, your immune system recognizes the threat right away and goes to full battle stations, thus the more pronounced reaction to the second shot. Younger people will tend to react more than older folks because their immune systems are more robust. At least that is the way a doc explained it to me.

This is correct. Exactly the same situation with the 2-stage Covid vaccine.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
I received the first Shingrex injection and had what felt like mild case of the flu for two days. Before I could schedule the second injection, I had the opportunity to get the Pfizer Covid vaccine. I got both shots and didn't have so much as a sore arm. I had heard that the second Covid shot in many cases produced the flu like symptoms (as noted in a previous post), but I never had issues. I'm planning on getting second Shingrex shot in a couple of weeks, and not particularly looking forward to it (but having seen what contracting Shingles is like, a couple of days of laying around the house is a small price to pay).

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Just popping in to say that I came down with Shingles a few days after Christmas and it was seriously unfun. It started with pain that felt like being jabbed with about 20 needles at a time. Then my body felt like it was on fire and still getting jabbed with a bunch of needles. Then came the actual rash. I broke out in 5 spots all around the left side of my back and onto my belt line below my belly button. The compounding jabbing, searing burning needlelike pain and itchiness just about drove me insane. All I can say now is don't hesitate to get the Shingrix shot. I didn't think I needed it at 40, but damn was I wrong. Hope this puts things into perspective for those contemplating the shot.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post