SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Grandfather of 85 Passed Away
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Grandfather of 85 Passed Away Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
My father died when I was 3 and I spend an awful lot of time with his parents growing up. Grandpa Jay was a father figure in my life and always a good man. I'm extremely thankful that I realized early on how valuable he was and spent as much time as I could with him and my grandpa. My grandma passed away from cancer 3 years ago which was extremely hard. My grandpa took it in stride and I brought my kids up to see him as much as possible. Unfortunately, after a hard life his body just couldn't keep up anymore. He had a couple surgeries which caused blood clots. The kicker was when he passed out fishing on the outer banks before we made it out there. He suffered two more, spent about a month in the hospital before his body finally gave out. He was a Korean war Army veteran in artillery. He used to tell me stories about his childhood and hunting rabbits with his hound dogs so they could put food on the table. He had always wanted M16 since the Army but never got one because my grandma hated guns. When she passed, I took my last lower and built him an AR for Christmas. He literally took it the next day to get outfitted with a scope and sling. He would whip it out to show people and was extremely proud.

Its such a hard loss and I hate having to go through his things and I just wish we still had him here. My Aunt and Uncle were extremely generous to give me the Winchester 67A he had since childhood and I also got back the AR that brought him so much joy.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is a great story Sig4. He sounds like a great man. I can appreciate how and why you grew so close to him. My wife had a similar childhood with her grandparents.

May God bless and hold him. Another great American.

Prayers for you as it is obviously a tough loss for you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss, may he rest in peace.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.
Thanks for sharing some info about him.

Prayers sent for some comfort.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your story. You were a good grandson.

May your grandfather RIP.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences to you and the rest of the family on your loss.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss. Nice items to keep close and think of him.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your grampa was a very good man. Cherish the memories my friend.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss.

Posts: 3716 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My grandpa just turned 85 in August. I hope he's here for a while. My father was out of my life, I spent a lot of time with him growing up. It will be devastating when he passed, he's the glue that holds us all together.

My condolences, may he rest in peace.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful guy, and the world has been made better by his time here.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, you will hold onto many memories you spent with him. My suggestion is to write them down so you can pass them on to your children.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
May his memory be a blessing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your family.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
May he Rest In Peace. Man, what a great story and a lifetime of memories.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My condolences to your family. You have a lot of good memories to enjoy.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss. I’m glad you have good memories of him to share.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss. I never know my grandfathers as the died before I came along. Always wish that was not the case.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My sincere condolences to you and your family. I am really glad for you that you had a close relationship with your grandfather. He gave you a family legacy...pass on the wisdom that you learned from him. If there are things in my life I regret, I do regret not having any relationship with either of my grandfathers due to parental divorce and family bullshit beyond my control.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
My prayers and condolences.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1365 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post