SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this Normal Police Procedure?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this Normal Police Procedure? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
If it were me, I'd hand this off to a good CPA to deal with.
Agreed.

The first billing is gonna suck, but it's better than racking up even more penalties.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Interested to hear more info on this. Does sound strange.

Just to clarify - were the tax authorities Federal, state (in NC they are called Dept. of Revenue) or local?

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have gone on the rounds with the NC tax guy for people who owed the state tax money.

The tax guy does have the right to seize (levy) property, money, items to settle the debt ON THE SPOT.

I saw him take a ring off a man's hand (he left the wedding band) to help settle the debt.

He took leather coats, jars of coins, money from the person's pockets, wallets etc. He took guns, cars, anything....anything....

We (the cops) were there so the tax guy wouldn't get killed doing the work of the state.

NOW, most of the people owed taxes on the drugs that they had been convicted of and the state levied taxes on income. But, I've been there when the state guys (and gal) showed and shut down a florist shop for delinquent taxes....they took everything, changed the locks and posted the property until the tax was paid.

I didn't put my hands on anyone unless I had Reasonable Suspicion that the individual had a gun (I was right-and the tax guy got it towards the debt)

I can't see the video in your post. So I won't comment if it was right/not right/or hinky.....I'm just telling you what I did way back once upon a time.

The IRS won't come to you business/home out of the blue...it does happen, but they bring US Marshals when they do.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My first thought is: are you fucking shitting me?

Was there a warrant, what did it say, and what identification was shown by whom?

This reeks, to say the least.

And you called no one first, no lawyer, no tax office or police station to confirm, nothing?

Please (for your sake) show us something to help explain how you weren't just robbed.

Hopefully there was a normal squad car or something with an aire of obvious legitimacy?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Seems all sort of strange.
Though you also don't give enough details. Need to know what level taxes and who it was coming to collect. As for taking $2500 on the spot to settle sounds very very shady to me.
Also you mention nothing of a warrant which makes it even more strange.

In 12 years of law enforcement I have never disamred someone who was legally carrying a weapon and informed me of such weapon.

I certainly hope you have already sought legal counsel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Did one of them look like this guy?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I smell a rat in Denmark

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have been clearer. This was state tax and definitely legitimate. There were no warrants, but I knew it was an issue, but was told it had been handled by the ex-partner. They did tell me they could seize everything in the shop as wel. The 2500 was what we owed after ex partner made a 4500 payment (that I was told would settle the debt). The balance of the 16k-odd dollars were fees that had been accrued I guess since 2015 before I was even in the picture.

I can post more specifics tomorrow. I wasn't as worried about the tax stuff as I knew that was an issue, moreso the way the cop took the knife from me. Other than that and following me around like a common criminal, they were extremely friendly (once my knife was off my body)

::exit:: I paid with a cashiers check, they waited while I ran to the bank. I didn't fork over 2500 cash haha

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a (partial) relief. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were you served a document like a notice of levy, or a replevin? If the City police came by and told you you owed thousands, and they took all you could scrape up, they'll be back for the balance. You sound like you are oblivious to the consequences of your former partner's behavior. Next visit will be from the State with a notice of distraint or similar order commanding them. By the time the IRS gets to you, the locals and the state will have seized everything, I mean all your assets.

May I suggest that you put the police officer's impolite behavior on the back burner, and keep looking for the notices of taxes in arrears. You need a good CPA, and a lawyer. Your former partner is probably not just a bad businessman but a thief. If he embezzled from you, you want to get in line to make a claim.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Pocket knife?? He took your pocket knife? Here I thought we were talking about a gun.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Pocket knife?? He took your pocket knife? Here I thought we were talking about a gun.

Welcome to NJ Roll Eyes

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

For fucks sake. He didn't want you slicing up an apple for lunch in his presence.

If someone is visibly distressed/distraught I can see disarming someone. If they are polite and cordial, and dealing with a simple civil matter with state taxing authorities, it's a bit much.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a tax lawyer, cpa, and a forensic accountant. Go after your old partner. Because right now in the eyes of your city and your state you are holding the bag.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I would accompany our dope unit on search warrants, an IRS Agent would often tag along. The Agent often just looked around in order to gain evidence and info for a seizure order.
And IRS can seize everything. Right down to the carpet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
This is fucked.

If it was me, it'd be "Gentlemen, thank you for visiting. Here's my attorney's name and phone number. If you want, I can try to get him on the phone right now. Please describe the issue to him, and I'll be happy to work with you to settle things as expeditiously as possible. Now, please leave. Have a nice day!"

This show up with the cops and intimidate you is BS.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

Welcome to NJ Roll Eyes

Lord almighty, your knife? Freakin' NJ, man. I tell you what. What a jerk.

Your knife...unreal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:
This is fucked.

If it was me, it'd be "Gentlemen, thank you for visiting. Here's my attorney's name and phone number. If you want, I can try to get him on the phone right now. Please describe the issue to him, and I'll be happy to work with you to settle things as expeditiously as possible. Now, please leave. Have a nice day!"

This show up with the cops and intimidate you is BS.

So you're saying if it was you, you would have had all your property seized and your business shuttered. Seems kind of self destructive.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I used to know one of those state level revenue people.

He didn't take himself too seriously. Pretty good guy.

But the state's Dept. of Revenue as a whole took themselves very seriously. They'd take your front door off the hinges if they thought it was worth something. And you wouldn't have to worry about any thieves, because anything of value was leaving in their DOR van.

Those fuckers had no sense of humor when it came to getting theirs.

But yeah...I'd be spending some money on a good CPA/tax lawyer. At least they can help you decide which brand of lube is best.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

Welcome to NJ Roll Eyes

Lord almighty, your knife? Freakin' NJ, man. I tell you what. What a jerk.

Your knife...unreal.

jesus, can you imagine if it had been a gun?? I'd be locked up UNDER the jail.

├┼┼╕
246R