SIGforum
New Work Bench, Advice Requested

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8730072034

September 12, 2017, 05:40 PM
OKCGene
New Work Bench, Advice Requested
I'm going to build a nice workbench in my garage for the purpose of tinkering, toying, projects, repairs of various types, etc. I have a vise or two, bench grinder, pegboard, power outlets, LED 4 foot shop light and more to put on it. I enjoy tinkering and puttering around.

I need help with this: I want to put it on 4 swivel locking casters for ease in moving it around, so what advice can you give as what to purchase? I'll probably go a little more heavier duty than normal on the casters. A search indicates they're all made in china, as far as I can tell.

I've already got the harbor freight bench, it's ok, but the one I'll build will be so much bigger and nicer. I'm thinking I'll go 6 feet long, 30 inches front to back, and the top will be 40 inches above the floor, and the back 6 to 8 inches will be a shelving unit probably 24 inches or so tall.

Oh, BTW, please feel free to post pics of your work bench. Thanks in advance, Gene.
September 12, 2017, 06:08 PM
Chris42
Hello Gene,

If you can find one, a wood door from a hospital or public building is often of a heavy, solid core construction. Some places recycle used building materials, this would be a place to check. My bench is made from a section of bowling alley - heavy t&g maple. Wonderful bench, harder to find.

Whatever you build, a 1/4" sheet of Lauan on top is a removable, sacrificial layer. A few drywall screws will hold it in place.

You might find casters at the local scrapyard. I found some that were from a hospital gurney. Good, HD, larger dia. than I would normally buy, but very smooth running in the shop.
September 12, 2017, 06:56 PM
RNshooter
Build one of these, any size and shape:
Kreg workbenches

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
September 12, 2017, 07:17 PM
Chach
So, to actually answer your question...

I've used these casters before and have no qualms in recommending them. Stout and purpose built. They allow you to move the bench around no problem and also move out of the way so the bench is stable when in place.

https://www.woodcraft.com/prod...5rTHYJQaAgPdEALw_wcB

September 12, 2017, 07:26 PM
Gustofer
I built this one a month or so ago. It's roughly 40" X 72" X 40" and I put it on castors. Just 2X4s with 3/4" plywood for a top. Cost me around $50 and an afternoon's worth of work. It's nice having the cut-out for the miter saw, and I saved the plywood piece so I can level the whole thing out if I need to. I just need to add a shelf or two underneath and maybe a drawer.

The castors I used I just picked up a our local hardware store (Ace brand). They were nothing special and they work just fine. I did get ones that lock.

September 12, 2017, 08:26 PM
jjkroll32
If you need any specialized hardware, consult McMaster-Carr

Great folks to do business with, fast shipping, great stock.

My latest build was with 2 Kreg Tool Stands, 2 3/4" plywood remnants that I cut down and laminated, topped with a Butcher Block Walnut 1 1/2" thick 3'x6' that I got at a scratch and dent countertop sale for an absurdly cheap price (dinged corner and had a little bow that got straightened out when the humidity balanced and a couple nice clamps).

The thing is a monster. I've mounted my reloading gear to it as well as a nice old Wilton Vise I picked up when a machine shop was liquidating. Made to a standing height with a stool for longer jobs.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight
September 12, 2017, 10:19 PM
FN in MT
There are quite a few bench builds on YouTube. A few of them really informative, built by true Craftsman. One can get a lot of ideas from the videos.
September 12, 2017, 11:50 PM
bushpilot
Great project. Please make it tall enough that you can comfortably work by standing at it. Otherwise your back and shoulders will soon start to hurt.

Also, might I suggest a way to fasten it to the wall when you are really putting some pressure on the vise. Keeps the bench from pulling away from the wall. Good Luck!

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln
September 13, 2017, 10:55 AM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Kreg workbenches

Bruce

I love Kreg stuff, thanks ~ never knew it existed. Cool
September 13, 2017, 11:22 AM
OKCGene
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I built this one a month or so ago. It's roughly 40" X 72" X 40" and I put it on castors. Just 2X4s with 3/4" plywood for a top. Cost me around $50 and an afternoon's worth of work. It's nice having the cut-out for the miter saw, and I saved the plywood piece so I can level the whole thing out if I need to. I just need to add a shelf or two underneath and maybe a drawer.

The castors I used I just picked up a our local hardware store (Ace brand). They were nothing special and they work just fine. I did get ones that lock.

I like this. I may build a 2nd bench like this. I think I could make it to have the miter saw easily removed and other items easily attached in and out, and store them beneath. I'm thinking small drill press, sander, scroll saw, etc. Very efficient. Thanks for posting.
September 13, 2017, 03:41 PM
RNshooter
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Kreg workbenches

Bruce

I love Kreg stuff, thanks ~ never knew it existed. Cool

Useful, even if you just want to buy the casters from them Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
September 13, 2017, 03:57 PM
isthatasiginyourpocket
Get large diameter softer casters for a work bench. The larger diameter will roll over dirt and debris better and the softer wheel won't vibrate stuff on your bench.
September 13, 2017, 07:52 PM
XLT
Here is my welding bench I built, I picked the castors up from amazon great price the they are heavy duty with grease fittings. I now have a nice American made yost reversible vise I mounted on it. I'm a huge miller welder fan so I had to paint it blue and add the decal. I wanted it to look industrial so I drilled the holes in the main from and also bolted the 1/2 steel top down, so if it ever gets too worn I can easily replace it.

September 13, 2017, 08:00 PM
The Tractor Store has lots of different size wheels.

I have used this for a computer table and also could be used as a reloading table by adding leg braces in the back and sides. Cheaper than buying a door for a top.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Din...able-Natural/5924565

September 13, 2017, 08:09 PM
TBH
First, build lots of shelving, and don't hesitate to throw stuff out. Otherwise, your bench will look like mine! A catch all.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15
September 13, 2017, 08:23 PM
cmr076
Here's mine I got finished Sunday. I found a really REALLY nice, super clean craftsman old school two drawer bench, (did I mention clean??) for $100. I had a snap on butcher block box top sitting in my parents garage from a past tool box. Drilled a few pilot holes and attached the snap on top to the particle board one at 8 points. Solid as a rock, looks great, and with a small rolling box next to t, will suit my needs perfectly. I'll have a vice and wicked edge bolted to it, as well as the reloading setup, pegboard behind it on that whole wall for guns and tools. I'm very happy, especially for $100 all said and done.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R
September 13, 2017, 08:26 PM
RAMIUS
Sweet bench Gustofer. Like that saw set up!
September 13, 2017, 09:07 PM
p113565
We've built numerous tables and benches and always used 4" locking swivel casters from Tractor Supply. If I made another table I'd use the same wheels again.