SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floor jack recommendations
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floor jack recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I have an old Hein Warner that belonged to my father, and this 3-1/2 ton NAPA jack. I prefer the NAPA for most jobs. NAPA online shows $240 now, but I think I paid more than that for mine.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Anybody familiar with Norco floor jacks made in Compton, California?

I was offered one of these for $100... but it's only 2 Ton
Should I take it?

71233A
2 Ton Capacity
Double Pump Floor Jack
https://norcoindustries.com/pr...pump-floor-jack.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My rebuild of my Sears jack didn’t go so well and the parts vendor not too helpful.

I found a used SnapOn YA642 Made in the USA locally. Claims it works. Do I chance a 20-30 year old jack that may need a rebuild?

Or do I go with a new one in the $100-250 range? Yes, I know it will be an import.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
My rebuild of my Sears jack didn’t go so well and the parts vendor not too helpful.

I found a used SnapOn YA642 Made in the USA locally. Claims it works. Do I chance a 20-30 year old jack that may need a rebuild?

Or do I go with a new one in the $100-250 range? Yes, I know it will be an import.

What are they willing to sell it for?

A long time ago, 30 years ago, I was a Snap On Tools Dealer. Those jacks, IIRC, were made by Lincoln and Walker. They were very very heavy, very well built, in fact IMO over built by Walker and Lincoln. They are certainly repairable and parts should not be a problem.

I can only speak for me, but if I had the chance to buy a Vintage Snap On jack from that era, and the frame is not bent or twisted or damaged, with a reasonable price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. In fact, I have a vintage Walker in my garage from that same era, it weighs a LOT with it's beefy frame, it's all I can do to lift it and put it in the back of my truck. All parts of it are overbuilt. No problem getting it rebuilt.

They should let you test it. Look underneath for evidence of oil leak, and put it under a heavy vehicle and crank it up. It should lift it and not bleed down. Take your time, look for evidence of hydraulic jack fluid seeping out. A bad enough leak will cause it to lower itself down, we don't want that.

One way to test a hydraulic jack is to pump it up. It should rise during the entire length of the handle stroke. If it does not, it's low on hydraulic jack fluid. Over time a little loss is acceptable and you can buy hydraulic jack fluid at any auto parts store. Anything more than seepage means it needs a hydraulic seal repair.

Look at the filler plug and see if you see any evidence of it being removed and reinstalled lately. This indicates adding fluid.

The SnapOn jacks were beasts, and still are. SnapOn did not make them, Walker and Lincoln did.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I check craigslist when I need those sort of things.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
It is important to choose the jack based on its capability, not its country of origin. A jack suitable for a Corvette probably won't lift a 3/4 ton pickup. Lift in inches is good to think about, as well as handle length. Also, jacks have weight, and sometimes weight is a problem. If you have an aggregate driveway, a heavy jack can be hard to pull across it. If you have any physical weakness, an aluminum jack might be appropriate.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My wrenching is primarily on my Jeep Wrangler.

I’ve got a Harbor freight Daytona 4 ton jack.

But I use 6 ton U. S. Jack jack stands (recommended from here) anytime I jack it up.

I’ve got some 2 or 3 ton stands from Advance Auto, probably Chinese, but they’ve never been out of the box.

I’m happy with that arrangement.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

$100

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When I check all the boxes that I require I can get a jack from HF for 200 bucks or so. At least 3 ton. Low profile. Extended reach. High lift 24" minimum.

Before I bought it I tried pretty hard to find a comparable US made jack. What I found was around 10 times the cost, 2k or more with tax and shipping. Yea, went with the HF... plus I could pick up in store today vs ordering and shipping 100+ pounds. I NEVER trust it without backup support, but you should not do that with ANY jack.

Before I put 2k or more in a jack I'll buy a lift.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Only the $220 Super Duty Daytona Harbor Freight jack comes with a 3 year warranty. The $200 Long Reach Daytona jacks have a 1 year warranty.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Only the $220 Super Duty Daytona Harbor Freight jack comes with a 3 year warranty. The $200 Long Reach Daytona jacks have a 1 year warranty.

Mine was HF, Pittsburg branded...
The 3-1/4" min height just scrapes under my Mazda and it requires the long reach to reach the jack points front and rear. The 24-1/4" max height is required to get the wheels off my jeep.

I've had two, first one failed after 8 or 10 years with no rebuild kit available, so after my search I gave up and I replaced it with another just like it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

$100

The seller forgot I was coming, so I wasted an hour. But once inspected I saw that it veered to the right. About a 1/8” on the left and about an inch gap on the right. Couldn’t figure out what the issue was, but I wasn’t interested in a rebuild project.

P229

parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Re: Harbor Freight

They have some stuff that Snap-On also sells under their own brand for 3x the money.

What of harbor freight's products does Snap-on sell under their own brand?

The Daytona jack that HF sells likely comes out of the same factory in China that makes the Snap-On jack.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: houndawg,

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have a few HF tools, mostly hand tools and they have worked well for the things they were designed to do..

Interesting the HF vs US made discussion, today the Founder of HF sent out an email, and posted on the web page notice of the floor jack recall of the floor jacks that replaced the defective original jacks because the replacements were... defective...

Hate to be the guy in the room that oversees the qc on floor jacks at HF....

Link

To the Harbor Freight Community:

I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.

A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.

Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).

We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.

I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.

As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.

Sincerely,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Sitting here shaking my head and pissed at the Chinese who build this crap and the importers, wholesalers and retailers who sell this JUNK!

Totally beyond pathetic.

FUBAR! And SNAFU too!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I have a few HF tools, mostly hand tools and they have worked well for the things they were designed to do..

Interesting the HF vs US made discussion, today the Founder of HF sent out an email, and posted on the web page notice of the floor jack recall of the floor jacks that replaced the defective original jacks because the replacements were... defective...

Hate to be the guy in the room that oversees the qc on floor jacks at HF....

Link

To the Harbor Freight Community:

I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.

A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.

Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).

We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.

I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.

As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.

Sincerely,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools

There's a huge difference between a floor jack and a jack stand. The recall was on jack stands, not floor jacks.

BTW, Harbor Freight is a retailer, not a manufacturer. Pittsburgh is a brand sold by HF.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Want to know how the chinese will one day bury us? Read many of the posts in this thread.

Keep b uying chinese crap and putting money in the pockets of the chinese communist party.

Yes so much of our manufacturing IS in china. Let manufacturers know you would rather their product were made in the USA.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Pittsburg is a name designed to deceive. They have zero to do with Pennsylvania, just Chinese junk with an American name.
A common marketing strategy for Chicom junk.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Costco has a couple decent options for the price. If they leak, easy enough to return.

https://www.costco.com/3-ton-p...oduct.100222458.html

https://www.costco.com/cat-3-t...oduct.100507254.html

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

There's a huge difference between a floor jack and a jack stand. The recall was on jack stands, not floor jacks.

BTW, Harbor Freight is a retailer, not a manufacturer. Pittsburgh is a brand sold by HF.

No shit, thanks for the info had no idea that a jack and a stand were different. Roll Eyes

The point is that HF sold defective jack stands and replaced them with defective jack stands.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post