SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Floor jack recommendations
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floor jack recommendations Login/Join 
posted
Looking for suggestions on purchasing a 3 ton floor jack. I don’t want to buy one that’s gonna work once or twice then start puking oil or something. Also not trying to break the bank as it’ll get used mainly for tire rotations and brake jobs on our two vehicles.

Thanks in advance,
CT

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I hesitate to recommend harbor freight, but we’ve been using their floor jack for years (at least fifteen). It finally had an issue with the teeth that translate the rotation of the handle to turning the valve to open or close not engaging correctly. A quick look showed things had loosened up. It was probably fifteen minutes to diagnose and fix and it wouldn’t surprise me to get another fifteen years out of it.

Other than that, I’ve had good luck ordering from Northern Tool and they seem to be a step up from Harbor Freight. (Full disclosure, I have no experience with their jacks.)

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of budget do you have? Almost all floor jacks even those “made in the USA” are made of foreign components. We just purchased two more for work from Napa after about 4 years on two Hein Werner floor jacks. I received a call from Gray Manufacturing that same morning and I asked about floor jacks. They are reintroducing theirs and you can purchase now for $1,100 and she even said they are rebuildabe. I politely declined her offer. I think we paid around $250 for the ones from Napa.

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have one of these

Don't use it much anymore.
Here is is in use in the late 50s

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have a Harbor Freight 3 ton low profile, high lift jack and it is now my go to floor jack. With a coupon it was 59 bucks.

You can spend more...but why?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I have a Harbor Freight 3 ton low profile, high lift jack and it is now my go to floor jack. With a coupon it was 59 bucks.

You can spend more...but why?

RANT ON: Because if you buy something decent, it will be around as long as you are, work well during that time and keep jobs/money here in America. People (not necessarily you) bitch about the lack of quality tools that are available to the retail consumer, yet support that decline by purchasing cheap Chinese crap. :RANT OFF

Beyond that, a quality jack may prevent an accident that could damage your vehicle or squish some body part you'd rather keep intact.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Yup. That Walker Jack has been in my family for over 60 years. And it was used when dad got it.

SIGnature

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Beyond that, a quality jack may prevent an accident that could damage your vehicle or squish some body part you'd rather keep intact.“

Jack stands are your friends.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Reading on the Net, I came across an article listing the 30 best deals at Costco. One deal was a 3 ton floor jack made of steel and aluminum. Price was $99. Sorry I don't remember the brand, if I see the article again I'll add to this post.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Indeed.

Still: His point stands. We bitch about how nothing is made in the U.S. any more, and about how everything is cheap (Chinese) crap, but turn around in the next moment and buy more Cheap Chinese Crap.

Maybe if more people bought on quality, instead of how cheaply they can acquire stuff, we'd have higher-quality products and more products made here?

As for the jack... I bought a small, low-profile jack from a local tool supply store. I needed small jack stands to go with it. They didn't have them, but HF did. I'm pretty sure HF had the same small, low-profile jack I'd just bought at the tool store. Only mine was red and theirs was blue.

*shrug*

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Find an older used American made jack that doesn't leak. It will probably last much longer, even with the head start on age, than an "import". We all know what that means.
While you're at it, get some quality jack stands too. Years ago I bought something that came with a free pair of Chinese jack stands as a bonus.
The first time I lowered the car onto the stands, one failed. Under that thick shiny paint was a weld that was poorly done onto rusty metal covered up by all that paint. Lesson learned. They looked great from the outside.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Beyond that, a quality jack may prevent an accident that could damage your vehicle or squish some body part you'd rather keep intact.“

Of course, those would also be Harbor Freight specials.

I seriously don’t understand guys (generic) who will agonize over the chance that their P365 striker might break in a gunfight, but will gladly crawl under a 2-3 ton vehicle supported by Chinese jack stands of unknown quality.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

Of course, those would also be Harbor Freight specials.

I seriously don’t understand guys (generic) who will agonize over the chance that their P365 striker might break in a gunfight, but will gladly crawl under a 2-3 ton vehicle supported by Chinese jack stands of unknown quality.

Roll Eyes Dude, calm down!

I get it, I hate it we no longer make anything in the USA. But it doesn't make sense for a guy to buy a high quality jack when they only use it once or twice a year.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Using a HF one too. Normal cars. Don’t try to push the max load and use stands. So far I’ve had several good years use. Pittsburg 3 ton.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Long ago Dad had a pair of stands mad of rear axle housings cut off at the outer end. The inner end was the kind that flange bolted to the differential.

Another time Dad was working on ball joints of a 67 Mustang FB with HiPo 289. Somehow the stands it was on slipped partway down. Dad was trapped crouched down with the wheel opening on his back. My cousin and I lifted on the bumper raising the car for Dad to slip out. Dad had compression fractures in the spine. He recovered ok.

BTW the 1940 Continental pictured earlier went on to win car club prizes as restored. My favorite was the Best Engine Conversion from V12 to a 1955 Chrysler 300 engine.

SIGnature

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like to put the tires under the vehicle when they are off, in addition to using stands and wheel chocks. My thinking is if a stand fails maybe the tire and wheel will be a backup.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
They're part of your tools, spend the money for a good U.S. made jack. And stands. The sinking gut wrenching feeling in your stomach when a tool fails causing at least a delay in the task at hand up to possible serious injury or death is not worth the extra $$$.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No recommendations, just subscribed to see. I’m in the market for a decent low profile extended length jack. I did some brake work and had trouble putting my car on stands. My current jack is too short and too tall to get under the front or rear bumper to lift the car so I can place my jackstands. I ended up lifting one side at a time and placing the stands and could only work on one side at a time.
I’d rather get a proper jack and lift from the front or rear jackpoints to place my stands.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
100% Harbor Freight at our tire store. They last as long as the higher dollar jacks.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you're a do-it-yourselfer, Harbor Freight all day for the win. No need to pour money into something that won't be used all that often.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post