SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where does the term going Winchester originate / why?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where does the term going Winchester originate / why? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
In terms of running out of ammo? I’ve always wondered why Winchester.

Thanks,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I thought it was due to the popularity of the 1873 Winchester and it being one of the first rifles that were easy to fire fast and empty the tube...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Expression of the time. I’m done with words it’s fighting time. Or kind of like I’m going to go postal. My understanding anyway

Edit to add. Mrs. Winchester that ran the company for years after he died was thought to be bat shit crazy

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hray:

Edit to add. Mrs. Winchester that ran the company for years after he died was thought to be bat shit crazy

The house is a trip. If you are ever in San Jose take the time to visit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...hester_Mystery_House

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by hray:

The house is a trip. If you are ever in San Jose take the time to visit.

It’s on my list the family and I watched the movie the other day and we all would like to go see it.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Military pilots use the term when they run out of ordnance and have to return to base to re-arm going back at least to WWII. I have heard that the term originates to the 19th century when infantrymen called for more ammo but can't verify that. But I recall seeing old wooden military ammo crates that ammunition was carried in the word Winchester was prominent on the case.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Side bar- The recent Winchester House movie was horse shit made up crap. Only upside is a lot of it was filmed on site. I grew up in San Jose and visited it several times and had a buddy who’s GF was tour guide there and he took the midnight Friday the 13th and Halloween tours. (Sells out months in advance) The gun museum at the end is worth the price of admission.

Crazy Sarah inherited a pretty sizable percentage of the company stock. I don’t think it was a majority, but could be. Anyway she lived out in San Jose, not New Haven. She didn’t have anything to do with the day to day operations. It is said her stock in the company provided her a $1000 a day income back when $1000 was serious money and no income tax. Losing a child in infancy and a husband in a short time span probly made her a bit kooky and if we had modern mental health available back then she probably could have just been properly medicated and had been provided therapy.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post