SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stop Windows 10 From Recording Your Keystrokes, Speech and Handwriting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stop Windows 10 From Recording Your Keystrokes, Speech and Handwriting Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
***LINK***

Stop Windows 10 From Recording Your Keystrokes, Speech and Handwriting

Last updated by rhiannon on 25. March 2018 - 23:46

Every Since Windows 10 was introduced, Microsoft has been collecting speech, inking, and typing information from Windows 10 users. Here's how to turn it off.

When Windows 10 rolled out, it included several new features. One of the features gives Microsoft the ability to record your speech, inking, and keystrokes made on a keyboard. Windows diagnostic service uses this to improve its keyboard prediction service and inking recognition for future updates. In its Speech, inking, typing and privacy web page
, Microsoft states that they collect speech, inking, and typing information, including information about your Calendar and People (also known as contacts) to improve handwriting and pronunciation recognition.

The feature is called “Send Microsoft info about how I write to help us improve typing and writing in the future” and seems to be enabled by default.
If you'd like to turn it off, here's how:

Turn off speech recognition, inking and typing:

Go to Start
Select Settings
Choose Privacy
Choose General (may or may not be there, depending on version)
Choose Speech, inking, & typing.
Choose 'Turn off speech services and typing suggestions'

The above steps will clear any data on your device, reset your user dictionary, and turn off speech recognition. If you rely on those, you might want to skip doing this. Some users have reported that after turning off this setting, it was automatically enabled again, most likely through an update. This is a repeating pattern with Windows 10, so if there are settings that are important to you, it's good to check them regularly (especially after updates) to see if any changes have been made.

You can shut off additional typing and speech telemetry following these steps:

Open Settings
Choose Privacy
Choose Diagnostics and Feedback
Find 'Improve Inking and typing recognition'
Turn it off, or, depending on which version of Windows 10 you're using, set Diagnostic and usage data to 'Basic'

If you use Cortana and want to clear data stored in the cloud, here's how:

Go to Start
Select Settings
Choose "Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud'
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose 'Clear'

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Would someone like Microsoft use that data in a way to promote their own agenda, or to pinch my liberty??

Sorry, I retract the question. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Would someone like Microsoft use that data in a way to promote their own agenda, or to pinch my liberty??

Sorry, I retract the question. Roll Eyes

I would have said "They'll use it in a way to promote their own revenue," but after looking at this other thread, I'm not so sure anymore.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I just double checked and I already have my privacy settings set to those that Fla. Jim suggested. Thankfully. And I don't use skype, or office or the cloud. As a matter of fact I still use IE for most everything. I'm sure I'm going to hear about that. Wink

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yet another reason I refuse to go to Win10.

Sticking with Win7 home premium. If they stop supporting it, I will probably buy a new computer (Apple?) that does not take up half the universe with software.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
I just double checked and I already have my privacy settings set to those that Fla. Jim suggested. Thankfully. And I don't use skype, or office or the cloud...

Same here, there's an option to turn it on. It must mean it's off now, is that a default setting?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Yet another reason I refuse to go to Win10.

Sticking with Win7 home premium. If they stop supporting it, I will probably buy a new computer (Apple?) that does not take up half the universe with software.

I'm with you on this.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See, that's what all your Microsoft Windows users have exposed yourselves to.

I use Apple/MAC - I don't have anything to worry about................bwah,ha,ha,ha .

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Then there's this little gem: Microsoft to ban 'offensive language' from Skype, Xbox, Office and other services

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
See, that's what all your Microsoft Windows users have exposed yourselves to.

I use Apple/MAC - I don't have anything to worry about................bwah,ha,ha,ha .

Nope, not one single thing to worry aboutBig Grin

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Reason# 357 NOT to Run Windows 10!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post