SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Libs in Louisville are trying to get Kentucky's permitless concealed carry bill tossed.
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Libs in Louisville are trying to get Kentucky's permitless concealed carry bill tossed. Login/Join 
Picture of DougE
posted
HB 316/LM (BR 1616) - C. Morgan, S. Wells

AN ACT relating to carrying concealed weapons.
Create a new section of Chapter 237 to allow concealed deadly weapons to be carried without a license in same locations as concealed carry license holders may carry them; amend KRS 237.115 and 527.020 to conform.

AMENDMENTS
HB 316 (As Introduced)

HFA1( M. Marzian ) - Create a new section of KRS Chapter 335B to require that a handgun be provided to each person who is granted a professional license from the state.
HFA2( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 186.490 to require that handguns be provided to any person acquiring a commercial driver's license or an operator's license.
HFA3( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 213.046 to require that a handgun be provided to each parent and child upon the registry and certification of a live birth.
HFA4( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 199.570 to require the Cabinet for Health and Family Services to provide a handgun to each adoptive parent and the adopted child when a new birth certificate is issued.
HFA5( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 402.100 to require that county clerks provide handguns to each party named on any application for a marriage license.
HFA6( M. Marzian ) - Amend KRS 382.110 to require county clerks to provide handguns to each signatory to a recorded mortgage or deed.

Feb 13, 2017 - introduced in House
Feb 15, 2017 - to Judiciary (H)
Feb 27, 2017 - floor amendments (1), (2), (3), (4), (5) and (6) filed

Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DougE,

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou Marzian http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/h034.htm

She's likely trying to use this to make a statement along the lines of "Well, if you think everyone should be able to carry a gun, not just license holders, then why don't we just give everyone a gun" or some other absurd bullshit.

Not her first attempt at introducing absurd bills to "prove a point" (and gain publicity): http://www.courier-journal.com...-note-wife/80294772/

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
These clowns are right up there with Former Gov. Steve Beshear.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

She's likely trying to use this to make a statement along the lines of "Well, if you think everyone should be able to carry a gun, not just license holders, then why don't we just give everyone a gun" or some other absurd bullshit.

Not her first attempt at introducing absurd bills to "prove a point" (and gain publicity): http://www.courier-journal.com...-note-wife/80294772/

Open carry without a permit is already legal, so I fail to understand why taking a class to get a permit all of a sudden becomes necessary if you drape a shirt over your sidearm. I've posed that very question to people who are against the constitutional carry bill and I usually just get a blank stare.

I have my CCDW and will keep it whether this passes or not, but I think the whole process is stupid considering I can openly carry a gun without the permit.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't that be awesome if the bill passed with her amendments on it?

At least get it through the Kentucky House, and have the Senate remove them before voting on it. Watching the libs lose their collective shit would be awesome. And the mental gymnastics to somehow make this an Evil Republican/NRA measure when a Dem proposed them.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The first thing I would ask her is if she would be willing to reduce all the state handouts to afford the guns she wants to give away. Smile

Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Wouldn't that be awesome if the bill passed with her amendments on it?

At least get it through the Kentucky House, and have the Senate remove them before voting on it. Watching the libs lose their collective shit would be awesome. And the mental gymnastics to somehow make this an Evil Republican/NRA measure when a Dem proposed them.

Seems like a similar situation is how we ended up being able to carry brass knuckles, billy clubs, knives other than an ordinary pocket knife, and martial arts weapons.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bet she'd shit an eggroll if it actually got voted in and passed.

I'd laugh all the livelong day. Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, that IS how we got to carry "deadly weapons" instead of firearms.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
quote:

Open carry without a permit is already legal, so I fail to understand why taking a class to get a permit all of a sudden becomes necessary if you drape a shirt over your sidearm. I've posed that very question to people who are against the constitutional carry bill and I usually just get a blank stare.

I have my CCDW and will keep it whether this passes or not, but I think the whole process is stupid considering I can openly carry a gun without the permit.

Kentucky Constitution; Section 1
All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned: ...

Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

The whole thing about "concealed" versus "open" versus "constitutional" carry comes down to the way it is worded in the Kentucky Constitution. As is currently written in the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS), the carrying of "concealed" weapons is prohibited without authorization. And yes, Marzipan is a squishy DimoCrap.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Some legislatures limit how many bills can be submitted by individual members.

I'd like to see bills that are declared frivolous voted down and have no way for a gut/amend. Legislators would then think a bit more carefully about submitting bills.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Report This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by DougE:
quote:

Kentucky Constitution; Section 1
All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned: ...

Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

The whole thing about "concealed" versus "open" versus "constitutional" carry comes down to the way it is worded in the Kentucky Constitution. As is currently written in the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS), the carrying of "concealed" weapons is prohibited without authorization. And yes, Marzipan is a squishy DimoCrap.

I think "permitless" carry would be a more fitting term to use. Just because the General Assembly has been granted the power to prohibit concealed carry doesn't mean they have to, or should.

If memory serves me, it was considered bad form to hide a weapon on your person at the time the constitution was ratified. Honest men carried their arms openly at that time, or something to that effect.

Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
They are also screwing with the senate's version of the bill.

SB 7/LM (BR 25) - A. Robinson, R. Alvarado, C. Embry Jr., R. Girdler, P. Hornback, R. Jones II, S. Meredith, J. Schickel, D. Seum, D. Thayer, R. Webb, S. West, M. Wilson

AN ACT relating to firearms.
Amend KRS 527.020 to allow persons not otherwise prohibited by other laws to carry concealed weapons without a license, excluding certain prohibited locations; specify that businesses and health facilities may prohibit concealed weapons by posting notice, with exceptions for some vehicles; amend KRS 237.115 to conform; repeal KRS 403.754.

AMENDMENTS
SB 7 (As Introduced)

SFA1( R. Webb ) - Create a new section of Chapter 237 to allow concealed deadly weapons to be carried without a license in same locations as concealed carry license holders are authorized to carry them; amend KRS 237.115 and 527.020 to conform.
HFA1( J. Jenkins ) - Keep original provisions; create a new section of KRS Chapter 237 to create a School Body Armor fund from deposits of $100 from the sale of each firearm; APPROPRIATION.

Jan 03, 2017 - introduced in Senate; taken from Committee on Committees (S); 1st reading; returned to Committee on Committees (S); to Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection (S)
Jan 04, 2017 - taken from Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection (S); 2nd reading; returned to Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection (S)
Feb 22, 2017 - floor amendment (1) filed
Mar 01, 2017 - floor amendment (1) filed

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/17RS/SB7.htm

SECTION 3. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 237 IS CREATED TO READ
AS FOLLOWS:
(1) The School Body Armor fund is hereby created as a separate trust fund in the State
Treasury, to be administered by the Kentucky Department of Education.
(a) Amounts deposited in the School Body Armor fund shall be used only for the
purpose of purchasing body armor for students enrolled in elementary and
secondary schools in Kentucky.
(b) The School Body Armor fund shall consist of amounts received from each sale of
firearms, whether through a federally licensed firearms dealer or a private sale.
(c) For each sale of a firearm, one hundred dollars ($100) shall be remitted to the
School Body Armor fund.
(2) (a) Notwithstanding KRS 45.229, School Body Armor fund amounts not expended at
the close of a fiscal year shall not lapse but shall be carried forward into the next
fiscal year.
(b) Any interest earnings of the School Body Armor fund shall become a part of the
fund and shall not lapse.
(c) Moneys deposited in the fund are hereby appropriated for the purposes set forth in this section and shall not be appropriated or transferred by the General Assembly
for any other purposes."

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/recorddo...ll/17RS/SB7/HFA1.pdf

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
These clowns are right up there with Former Gov. Steve Beshear.

Speaking of the former Moron in Chief Democrats say they didn't think when offering Beshear the rebuttal slot. "A mistake"

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Just tell them if they don't want to carry, they don't have to. Smile

IIRC some years ago Utah passed a law that permit holders could carry concealed on campus. The then Pres of the Univ of Utah refused it for his campus, said he was in charge. I guess his subsequent resignation (termination?) says differently.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Just tell them if they don't want to carry, they don't have to. Smile

IIRC some years ago Utah passed a law that permit holders could carry concealed on campus. The then Pres of the Univ of Utah refused it for his campus, said he was in charge. I guess his subsequent resignation (termination?) says differently.

That went all the way to the Utah Supreme Court in Young v Shurtleff, 2006. Young's claim basically was that the Utah Constitution made the State Legislature subordinate to the U of U when the University's administration disagreed with state law. What a tool.

In the decade since this was settled, there have been zero, >>>ZERO<<<, incidents of stifled free speech on campus due to a debate getting heated and someone pulling out a gun, one of Young's primary arguments. You won't hear about that in a follow-up piece in the SL Trib.

Guns are still verboten at BYU, a private university beyond the reach of state preemption law.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If that passes I might have to move just for the free guns.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
This one is kind of confusing to me. The old rule in Kentucky was if you proposed or voted for a gun control law, you'd get "unelected" at the next opportunity. Until that time, everyone but the lefty press would ignore you. Its still how I vote.

But the body armor part is a shot at private transfers of firearms. And to implement it would require some kind of paperwork (read registration) to be sure everyone has paid their fair share. If history is a guide, the law won't ever get a vote. This cycle the entire apparatus is controlled by "R" party members. Its been a long time getting here, and memories of how people were treated by the "d"s may be bitter ones.

The only thing the "d" party controls is the lefty press. Most notably Pravda, the Herald Leader and the Courier Journal. Most of us don't take anything they write seriously.

Oh wait. Here's a stock tip for those serious investors. Buy Hi Point big time. If this stupid law passes, cheap junk will be in great demand.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
She's likely trying to use this to make a statement along the lines of "Well, if you think everyone should be able to carry a gun, not just license holders, then why don't we just give everyone a gun

Well, if you use their arguments from other issues, if it's a RIGHT, shouldn't we get free guns and ammo from Uncle Sugar?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Or, leave it to a left wing crazy to hand a bowling ball to a drowning person.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post