SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Glenfiddich 18 year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glenfiddich 18 year Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Wife got me a bottle for our 18 year anniversary in August and I just got around to popping the top on it.

Daaaaaaaaaamn! This stuff is incredible!

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
A fine single malt !

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
My father and I were gifted a bottle by a neighbor for watching his dogs, excellent pour! If you can, acquire a bottle of Glenmorangie Spios. A bit less spendy and about half way in the washing gives a similar warm sit on the pallette.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Very nice stuff. Enjoy!!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You married well.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s miserable rot gut. Send it to me for proper disposal.

Nice wife you have.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
She chose wisely

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
My father and I were gifted a bottle by a neighbor for watching his dogs, excellent pour! If you can, acquire a bottle of Glenmorangie Spios. A bit less spendy and about half way in the washing gives a similar warm sit on the pallette.

This!!! Get it while you can, a one year limited expression. I’ve been through a few bottles of this. My local friendly liquor store was kind enough to bring in a case. I thought I’d get a couple of bottles gut have little by Little working my way through that case on their shelf. It’s great whisky to share with a friend.

I’ve not had the Glenfiddich 18 yet, only the 24 and 15. Both very good.

Also, try the new release from MaCallan, their “No. 4”. My favorite of their annual expressions so far.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
As I continue my travels through the single malt world one thing is evident. I like the more powerful process flavors that aging tends to smooth out. Lagavulin 16 is the oldest scotch I buy. Other attempts at older scotch has me wondering if the additional cost is worth a very small difference in taste. Honestly if I were to only buy one scotch for the rest of my life it would be Highland Park 12. I tend to favor the island whisky. There is something about this stuff being distilled next to the ocean.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just finished off the last of some Macallan 12 tonight, might give some a try. Cool

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBS:
You married well.

Yes sir, I most certainly did.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm personally more of a Glenlivet fan. Given that you like the Glenfiddich 18, you might enjoy the Glenlivet 15 yo French Oak Reserve. I find it smooth but very complex.

Earlier this year I was given a bottle of Glenfiddich India Pale Ale. It doesn't have a year but is a single malt aged in old IPA barrels. Also amazingly complex.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
As I continue my travels through the single malt world one thing is evident. I like the more powerful process flavors that aging tends to smooth out. Lagavulin 16 is the oldest scotch I buy. Other attempts at older scotch has me wondering if the additional cost is worth a very small difference in taste. Honestly if I were to only buy one scotch for the rest of my life it would be Highland Park 12. I tend to favor the island whisky. There is something about this stuff being distilled next to the ocean.

Have you tried any of the Talisker expressions? Complex with peaty and briny notes.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
It is what I imagine an angel's tears taste like.

Put Glendronach on your list too!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

Definitely try Laphroaig Cast Strength. You'll want to add enough water to drop the alcohol down to 35-40%. Above this the taste buds tend to get stunned. Also, many believe that the flavour tends to "open up" with the addition of water.

Another to try is Bowmore's Darkest or Voyager or Sherry Cask.

Enjoy a wee dram as often as possible.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I'm personally more of a Glenlivet fan. Given that you like the Glenfiddich 18, you might enjoy the Glenlivet 15 yo French Oak Reserve. I find it smooth but very complex.

Earlier this year I was given a bottle of Glenfiddich India Pale Ale. It doesn't have a year but is a single malt aged in old IPA barrels. Also amazingly complex.

I became a Glenlivet fan while in Edinboro Scotland 9 years ago and have been drinking it ever since. I have tried a number of others and like the Glenfiddich but always come back to the Glenlivet.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

I’ve had the Jameson’s aged in IPA barrels. Interesting. Not bad but odd and something I’ll only occasionally sip. The stout barrel aged one though, I loved that.