SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Biscuits n gravey...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biscuits n gravey... Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Is there anything more gooder at breakfast? Nope. I love them. My friend Joe tells me they aint healthy eating. OK Joe, lemme see what the innernet says. Uh Oh...not a single vitamin in biscuits n gravey. What will we ever do? Take yer damn Centrum Silver. All will be good. They do got some protien in them. As good as they are, does anyone actually care? Eat your biscuits n gravey. Enjoy and be happy. You like 'em?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Lee,

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My Dad was from the South and I was raised on biscuits and gravy and other Southern food.

Love it. I can almost hear my arteries slamming shut.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite breakfasts.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
My grandpa in law told me one time that they just cooked the sausage in a cast iron skillet making crumbled sausage, then when done, mix in the flour and milk to make the gravy with the sausage already in it. THAT and my scratchmade biscuits are the best breakfast snack in the world. I call it 'Big Dave's scratchin biscuit-n-gravy'

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Lubs me my biscuits and gravy too!!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that gravy better have sausage in it, and not come out of a can!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, Wife loves my biscuits and gravy. Generally a pound of HOT sausage and 8 cups of milk for the gravy. The flour just depends on how much grease is in the skillet.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
LOL Just finished some and then opened my computer to find this! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Made some last weekend. An occasional treat but greatly enjoyed when I do have it.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sausage, milk, flour, butter. Last Chance Saloon, Sweet Springs, Missouri. Platted in 1838.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
My grandpa in law told me one time that they just cooked the sausage in a cast iron skillet making crumbled sausage, then when done, mix in the flour and milk to make the gravy with the sausage already in it.

That's the way you do it Smile

Best, probably the only proper, sausage gravy I ever had was in the restaurant at the hotel in which I stayed during a project start-up in Louisville, KY. Once I discovered their biscuits and sausage gravy that was all I ever had for breakfast there.

Every damn restaurant to which I go, here in Michigan, I try their biscuits and gravy. They never fail to disappoint Frown

My wife made me biscuits and gravy once. Was the closest ever to what I had all those years ago in KY.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
One of the basic food groups in the South Smile

My Grandma taught me how to make them and I have taught my kids how to make them. We have them as breakfast for dinner every so often.

Break up your sausage real good in your cast iron skillet and when it's done, start sprinkling your flour over it and mix together, being sure to soak up all of the grease in the pan until there is no white flour showing anywhere in the skillet - important point or you will have lumps in your gravy. Then start pouring your whole milk and stirring - remember you can always add more, but once you add too much your gravy will be too liquidy. Add your salt and pepper, no measurements - you measure with love Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
And I do love 'em. I bet there's even something in the Bible about biscuits n gravey. Breakfast is my favorite meal. Can get carried away and eat too much. Sometimes just the biscuits n gravey are just enough.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Lee,

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
My grandpa in law told me one time that they just cooked the sausage in a cast iron skillet making crumbled sausage, then when done, mix in the flour and milk to make the gravy with the sausage already in it. THAT and my scratchmade biscuits are the best breakfast snack in the world. I call it 'Big Dave's scratchin biscuit-n-gravy'

SOS, my first and last breakfast on Parris Island in 1964. USMC used ground beef instead of sausage and the thought still makes my mouth water.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JWF,

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
My grandpa in law told me one time that they just cooked the sausage in a cast iron skillet making crumbled sausage, then when done, mix in the flour and milk to make the gravy with the sausage already in it.

That's the way you do it Smile

Best, probably the only proper, sausage gravy I ever had was in the restaurant at the hotel in which I stayed during a project start-up in Louisville, KY. Once I discovered their biscuits and sausage gravy that was all I ever had for breakfast there.

Every damn restaurant to which I go, here in Michigan, I try their biscuits and gravy. They never fail to disappoint Frown

My wife made me biscuits and gravy once. Was the closest ever to what I had all those years ago in KY.

Maybe you stayed at The Brown in Loiusville. Bisquits and sausage gravy is still on the menu.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Bama, that picture looks great.

This is something I have never cooked. Can you give me a recipe, or at least a rough idea of proportions for ingredients?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yeah Buddy, anybody who tells you don't eat biscuits and gravy, well just write them out of your will. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Maybe you stayed at The Brown in Loiusville. Bisquits and sausage gravy is still on the menu.

It wasn't that one. Not unless there's been extensive outside remodeling and re-landscaping.

This hotel had a strongly German/Bavarian theme. Only one I can find searching on those terms is The Seelbach, and that doesn't look like it, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Bama, that picture looks great.

This is something I have never cooked. Can you give me a recipe, or at least a rough idea of proportions for ingredients?

Fry a pound of sausage until it crumbles. Mix up about 1/4 cup flour and a cup (or so) of whole milk. Pour the mixture into the sausage. Add more milk until it looks right. Put it on biscuits.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
On my college campus there was a little food shop and they served something called “Cowboy Benny!” It was a biscuit opened, with an egg on each side, three strips of bacon on top, all slathered in sausage gravy.

It was exquisite.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post