SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Biscuits n gravey...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biscuits n gravey... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
ALL the horrible chicken fried steaks we take a chance on are worth the effort when we find the good ones.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My friend Ed has 3 times made me some of the best biscuits and gravy, (spell check that), that I've ever eaten. His wife is a Jersey girl and Ed is Kentucky. She dont cook much so Ed gets to do that. When their Jersey folk come to visit or they travel up north, Ed always gets elected to make his biscuits and gravy. He does a fine job.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It's spelled biscuits, not bisquits. pronounced bis-kits, not bis-quits.

Haha!

But you missed Smile That's actually pronounced "bis-quick" and is a play on the words "biscuits quick" Wink

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I'm surprised you weren't nuts over Gravey vs Gravy, its not Gravey....

Hadn't noticed it, but I do endeavor not to be a grammar Nazi. Really, I do. But this one was in the thread title and I couldn't possibly miss seeing it repeatedly. It was like nails on a blackboard.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I fixed 'em all.. Big Grin

Thanks, David!

I wasn't trying to nick you for the speling error, it's just that... well, like I wrote above.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

That's actually pronounced "bis-quick"
Clearly, you never met my old girl friend's relatives. Wink

You are better off, not having met them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Man, this thread is making me hungry! I'll make biscuits and gravy once every other month or so. My wife won't touch it, but my son and I gladly eat her share. After cooking 1 lb of sausage, I normally end up adding a little butter to the sausage grease, especially if the sausage is a bit on the lean side. I don't measure the flour but add enough to soak up the grease and cook it for a couple of minutes. After that, I add whole milk until it's the right thickness. At the end, I'll season with fresh ground pepper and sprinkle a little soy sauce on it. I know that probably sounds weird, but we like it. When making SOS from ground beef, I'll use Worcestershire instead of soy sauce.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Love me some B&G.

I like to make scratch buttermilk biscuits.

Cook up the sausage in the skillet then add flour and milk.

Next cook up some scrambled eggs

Then assemble biscuit + sausage gravy + eggs on top. Then douse the whole thing with tabasco sauce... That's the ticket right there.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
and sprinkle a little soy sauce on it. I know that probably sounds weird, but we like it. When making SOS from ground beef, I'll use Worcestershire instead of soy sauce.

Saw a recipe that had added chicken bullion, a flavor enhancer like soy sauce or Wooster. My brothers step son is a B&G nut and aficionado, I'll have to ask him for his highly refined secrets.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

Never heard of a bialy--had to look it up.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/2070031874/p/1
I note that all the responses appear to have come from places in the Northeast US, or those who have emigrated from there. I conclude that bialys only are known and popular in a small part of the country. I've lived in Dallas for 40 years and have never heard the term (but bagels are popular here), and my 18 years growing up in Detroit never exposed me to it, either (although my high school was 85% Jewish, and bagels were popular).

Considering what I now know about them, I'll pass. Thanks for the information.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This dish is best with Powder Milk Biscuits.
quote:
Prairie Home Companion:

Has your family tried 'em, Powder Milk?
Has your family tried 'em, Powder Milk?
If your family's tried 'em,
Oh, you know you've satisfied 'em
They're a real hot item, Powder Milk!

Heavens they're tasty, and expeditious. Give shy persons the strength they need to get up and do what needs to be done. Made from whole wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers, so you know they're not only good for you, they're pure, mostly. Get 'em in the bright blue box with a picture of a biscuit on the front, or ready-made in the brown bag with the dark stains that indicate freshness.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put some chipped beef to it and have some good SOS.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I love them and Braum's is only 1 mile straight down my road.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I love them and Braum's is only 1 mile straight down my road.
The one a mile from me closed from the COVID--even the drive-thru.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
First time I have tried cooking this. Good stuff!

It was a hit with my wife, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
First time I have tried cooking this. Good stuff!

It was a hit with my wife, too.

There is hope for you yet!! LOL

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post